Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How much power is needed for a Media center PC?  (Read 5899 times)

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: How much power is needed for a Media center PC?
    « Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 09:36:51 PM »
    The case is an Antec NSK 1380. It has a 350 watt PSU that is made just for that case. The case is a cube case or SFF if you like. It is made for MATX motherboards. I used this case to build my wife's computer. It is a nice case. It is the smallest case I could find that would fit where I have to place it. The only problem is that I can't find a 600 watt PSU to fit in the case with out cutting the case up. They say that the PSU is ATX, *censored* I can't find a 600watt unit to replace it. So the question was do you know of a short, 13" deep case that I could use that will take a 600 watt PSU?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 11:36:39 AM »
    You're not listening.....Clik Here and scroll down to where it explains the differences in size in the 3 types of PSU's....then you only need to decide on a manufacturer as most good ones make all 3 sizes.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 07:50:06 PM »
      Patio, I did listen. Infact I picked up a Micro ATX and it didn't work. If I turned it up to where the fan and electrical adaptor came out the top I cold have used it. I will try and explain. The power supply in the case is 6"X6" and 3"deep. The 6X6 area holds the fan and it comes out the back. The power adaptor comes out the 3" side from a cord and attaches to the back of the case over the expansion slots. From the back of the power supply to the drive cage is only 1.5" so the PSU can't be any more than 3"deep or I couldn't hook up the drives or if it was more than 4.5" deep it will hit the drive bay. The only way the 400watt unit wold fit was if I turned it till the fan and electrical adaptor were turned till they came out the top of the case. There are a lot of PSU that are 6X6 and the fan is in that area but they don't have the electrical adaptor come out be side the fan in the 6X6 area. I hope I got that across this time. Any way I have taken the quad back and picked up a core 2 duo. That saved me 40 watts. The video card that I am using only uses 36 watts. I will only be using 2gigs of memory that saves me 30 more. I have been told that by changing out the motherboard and not using RAID I can get well under the 350watt limit of the power supply. Thank you for your time.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 08:10:21 PM »
      You're Welcome and Welcome Aboard !
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "