Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: no mouse function during install of Win98se  (Read 4317 times)

cfmoore

Topic Starter

Rookie

no mouse function during install of Win98se
    « on: July 03, 2008, 09:42:11 PM »
    Is there supposed to be mouse control during the install of Windows 98se?

In the second part of the install " Collecting information about your computer" I found I had not mouse control control when I tried to check "accept" of the license agreement.  With the keyboard I could scroll up and down in the terms and move horizontally.  I was able to select "agree" through some unknown combination of keyboard key pressings.  I just started pressing a combination of key in the lower left and the black dot appeared in the "accept" option.

The next screen asked for the id of the product at authorized the upgrade.  (My Win 98se is an upgrade cd but I have the Win 95 original cd).  I inserted the cd but with the keyboard I could not move to the browse button.

If mouse control does not happen until windows is installed, how do I move the curser focus to the "Browse" button?

Prior to the install I did an erase of the c drive and then fdisk using the Computer Hope instructions.

When I rebooted the computer to install Windows the installation took me to a dos window with a selection of 3 options on installing.  I selected option 1 which was to install with the 98cd.  Selecting this automated some of the first Computer Hope steps to the point where I thrn typed "setup" and pressed entered and continued

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: no mouse function during install of Win98se
    « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:44:38 PM »
    wireless or wired mouse/keyboard?

cfmoore

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 11:10:29 PM »
      Problem solved.

Computeruler prompted the thought that the mouse might be the problem.  The mouse that being used was not the mouse that was previous used.  The computer (an old 350mhz) was configured with a PS2 Logitech mouse but connected a serial port with a Logitech provided transition connection.

I took the Logitech mouse off another computer and connected to the computer I was reinstalling Windows on.  This did the trick.

It may be old and it may be slow by todays computer's but for the specific need that I have in mind, it is not obsolete. 

When I started the reactivation of the old machine, all it would do when I pushed the on button was give out an endless beeping.  But with some time, poking around inside the box, the use of SDRAM from my local computer shop and help from forum people at Computer Hope, I now have a working computer...........and I did not have to spend a single penny to do so.  Great feeling of accomplishment

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 10:26:56 AM »
      good to here you solved it if you ask me old computers work perfectly with linux