Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook 2000 Problem  (Read 2999 times)

fleegirl

Outlook 2000 Problem
« on: July 28, 2008, 06:01:38 PM »
Hi -  I have been using Outlook (not express) on this computer for about 2 years and suddenly started having this problem.  I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows XP.  I have Office 2000 Professional.  I also have a Blackberry that I synchronize to this Outlook, although not since this problem began.  I cannot think of anything new that I did when the problem began. 

When I go into Outlook here are just some of the problems:

* it states that it is connecting to the email server, but will not download the emails.  It states that it is downloading and counts very slowly, but maybe one or two are downloaded.  But the next time I go into Outlook the "downloaded" emails are not there.
* there are two messages in my outbox - everytime I go into Outlook it sends the messages, but does not move them into my sent box.  I also cannot delete them. 
* it brings out appointments that I have on the schedule and will not let me dismiss them.

What I have done to try to solve the problem:
* I first ran the repair from the original Office 2000 disk - this did not change anything.
* I then ran the reinstall from the original disk- this did not change anything, but added Front Page to my office repertoire.
* I then deleted Office 2000 completely from my computer.  I know they were deleted because I checked.  I then complete reinstalled office 2000 pro.  When I bring up Outlook everything is the same!  It did not delete Outlook even though it said it did.  It is still doing the same thing - According to the Start menu there is a new program - Outlook installed. 

Weird huh?  Please help!!  I am going to be away from the computer for about 1/2 hour - will check in then.  This is my first time on this forum and don't know how fast replies happen. 

thanks!!!

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Outlook 2000 Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 02:03:39 PM »
I wonder of you have a corrupt PST or one that reached its maximum size limit of 2GB. You uninstalled and reinstalled, so that should all be fresh. Only outstanding possible trouble areas are a corrupt registry or PST ( Outlook archive file ).

I would first locate the PST file, usually named archive.pst and burn that to a DVD or move from its current location to another location where Outlook will not find it when loading up. Then try to see if the system will run Outlook without ties to this potentially troubled PST file.

If you still have the same issues, then you might be looking at registry issues. Last time I saw problems like this for users I support, they exceeded the maximum allowed size for their archive.pst files and it caused all *censored* to break loose on their systems. Fix was removing PST file and starting them on a new PST, then using a 3rd party tool that my co-worker had to support the PST file with 2+GB of data to edit it and delete junk to get the size back below 2GB so that OL2K would support it as a imported archive.