Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: The Play Command  (Read 4284 times)

PMH

Topic Starter

Starter

The Play Command
    « on: July 06, 2008, 04:57:22 PM »
    I worked for quite a while to figure out how to express a certain piece of music in the play command's syntax..
    (You know, a5 c4 ...)

..a good while ago, for my Mother.

...and then, it went away.

I've never been able to find anything about it again - even, just now, in a list of all MS-DOS commands.

Maybe it was something other than a ~pure command~.

What I wonder, of course, is whether there's something now that would play what I worked out.

...or even something else (free) that I could use similarly.

Any pointers?

Thanks,

-- M.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: The Play Command
    « Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 05:14:23 PM »
    Welcome to the CH forums.

Play is a command in the Basic programming language, does that ring any bells?
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

PMH

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 06:21:21 PM »
      Thank you, Dusty.

(and maybe hee hee (ie: like when someone asked me if I had ever heard of Gamelan, & I said "Doesn't ring a bell.") )

Embarrassingly, I discovered that with some more (fortunate) Googleing in the meantime.

Now the question is:  Having liked that (& maybe even being able to find the file I created way back then), what's available now like(ish) that that I might like?

(I've also found ANSI Play and Melody Maker, but haven't had time to get into them very deeply.  I bet that some of the things out there like these are quite good, and some not so.)

Thanks again,

-- M.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 07:53:21 PM »
        you could also try the start command to play a sound(note it will play the sound in a sound player, such as Windows media player)

try this

Code: [Select]
        start <name of sound>.wav
        If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

PMH

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 07:52:24 AM »
          Welcome to the CH forums.

Play is a command in the Basic programming language, does that ring any bells?

Was there a ~version~ of DOS, then, that would sorta forward commands to Basic?
          (bec. I remember working with this stuff in a DOS window, & as a batch file -- but I've never done (much) Basic at all)

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 03:34:06 PM »
            no sorry PMH but some of the MS-DOS versions, i believe version 5 and later had QBasic which was a program that could make Basic programs and yes it did support playin of sounds but why dont you try this?

you could also try the start command to play a sound(note it will play the sound in a sound player, such as Windows media player)

try this

Code: [Select]
            start <name of sound>.wav
            If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.