Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Vista and Cisco VPN Client Error 56:  (Read 6355 times)

berlincityauto

Topic Starter

Starter

Windows Vista and Cisco VPN Client Error 56:
    « on: July 09, 2008, 11:19:40 AM »
    We have a couple of machines that were running Cisco VPN Client (5.0.01.06) and worked, but suddenly do not.  On one machine we are getting Error 56: The Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service has not been started).  I have tried several suggestions that I found online and none seemed to resolve the issue.  I uninstalled the program and removed all registry keys and still no success.  Others online reported having the same issue because of firewalls and anti-virus programs, but I removed all of those also (just to test).  When  manually start ing  the VPN process, it starts, but within 30 seconds, stops automatically.   I have tried rolling the registry back, but it doesn't go back before the initial install of the client.  I have run spyware programs and anti-virus to make sure the machine is fine.  It is only a few months old.

The second machine that was working with the VPN client and now isn't is a laptop, but his error is: Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the client. Reason 442: failed to enable Virtual Adapter.  Cisco suggested adding a registry key (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters /v ArpRetryCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f) which didn't work.  I also tried Enabling the virtual adapter - repair - and disabling it again (along with complete uninstalls and reinstalls).  I found and downloaded the latest version of the Cisco Client Version 5.0.02.0090.  This didn't clear the error.  This is a Gateway laptop with Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit.   

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Windows Vista and Cisco VPN Client Error 56:
    « Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 01:15:25 PM »
    Topic Locked.

Double post, please continue here: