Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

Whats your perfered Programming Language and Why?

BASIC(VB, QBASIC, Just BASIC)
10 (27.8%)
C
4 (11.1%)
C++
6 (16.7%)
C#
3 (8.3%)
Java
3 (8.3%)
Asm
2 (5.6%)
Other
8 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Perfered Programming Language  (Read 41840 times)

Dias de verano

Re: Perfered Programming Language
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2008, 06:52:43 AM »
sorry. Fortran was created so far back that i thought it was long gone. but i guess i was wrong.

You may be interested in a thing called "checking". It's a handy thing to do before posting stuff.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2008, 09:38:45 AM »
And about Netscape making JavaScript. I wonder if one of the guys working on the project suggested the idea for the name and the logo(the coffee) due to the guy drinking alot of coffee, of course thats just a suggestion on how they may have gotten the name

The coffee cup logo is for java not javascript, they are completely different languages altogether. Like I say, netscape was simply trying to capitalize on it's popularity back in 95-ish, by renaming they in-development "LiveScript" to JavaScript. Of course they also ended up confusing the heck out of everybody because the names are so similar. Sun Microsystems, on the other hand, originally had a language they devised code named "oak". It was originally intended for such purposes as programming appliances, like toasters, refridgerators, and coffee makers. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the name, but that's always been the way I've thought of it. Of course it ended up that Java wasn't to be used for appliances but rather publishing useless crap on the web. (a Niche a think was filled long ago, by HTML, or rather the birth of HTML as used on the web).

but im now glad that im taking Microsoft VB 6 for one of my classes in High School.  ;D

I got lucky at my high school, because the year after I graduated, they started using VB .NET instead. blech. I only know this because I visited my old Computer Science teacher, and the "replacements" for me (the programming nerd that seems to know everything) were disgustingly unknowledgable about anything other then VB .NET or C# (again, blech). Not to mention they actually looked down on me because I didn't care for .NET. Sadly none of their Prime number generators could touch the speed of the Visual Basic 2 version I had written in grade 9, and this was supposed to be advanced Placement Grade 12 Computer Science. Sadly they tried to blame the very same thing they thought was so great, .NET framework. As far as I know nobody in that class has ever managed to write a prime number generator (lists prime numbers until closed or paused) that's gone faster then the one I wrote, which is sad because I was bored one day and a VB6-tuned version goes even faster.

Warranted, it was likely that the students simply didn't know the Eratosthenes sieve algorithm, which wouldn't surprise me because they didn't even know what a stack was, much less how to write one. Instead they simply directed me to some Framework class. In fact, that whole incident proved to me that people can't really learn a whole lot about programming from .NET, simply because of the framework. Half the fun of programming is writing reusable classes and not having to revisit the issue unless your working on the class itself, thus letting you think about more important programming issues.

sorry. Fortran was created so far back that i thought it was long gone. but i guess i was wrong. Thanks Dias for sharing the info about Fortran though.

BASIC isn't exactly a language newcomer either. neither is C or Pascal, for that matter. (FORTRAN is older then both though). Come to think of it, the oldest programming language is still widely used (if only by compilers and assemblers), machine language. And I think ASM was second, then the branching out began.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

macdad-

Topic Starter

Expert

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2008, 01:31:32 PM »
    ...BASIC isn't exactly a language newcomer either...

Yea because BASIC was written around the time of the Altair 8800
    If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

Dias de verano

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2008, 01:47:23 PM »
    Yea because BASIC was written around the time of the Altair 8800

Er...

Altair 8800: 1975

BASIC: 1964

What did I say about checking? (I realise that your generation considers everything before about 2000 being the "olden days")

Bones92

Hopeful

• Website Designer and Microcontroller Programmer
      • PIC Programming New Zealand
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #34 on: July 19, 2008, 05:32:18 PM »
    I actually believe the most useful computers every created were the Commodore 64 and the VIC20, and the best language their version of BASIC.

My father ran the entire Bay of Islands power grid with homemade software on his VIC20 when the powerboards computer (the size of my bedroom) exploded after a lightening bolt directly hit a comms wire going to it.

And using PEEK and POKE and some of their gear he controlled nearly every substation in northland (in New Zealand) from his VIC20.

Try doing that in a week with Windows Vista!

macdad-

Topic Starter

Expert

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2008, 06:25:02 PM »
      i condsider anything before the 1980's as old. Most people in my Gen would think something back in the 80's a calculator, so so wrong.
      If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      « Reply #36 on: July 20, 2008, 11:56:28 AM »
      Thirty-nine years ago, today, American astronaut Neil Armstrong stepped onto the moon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

http://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/vs-mit-apollo-guidance.html

Arguably, one of America's finest hours, and sadly, one we have not equaled in too long a time.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #37 on: July 20, 2008, 12:06:46 PM »
      i prefer batch even though its not even a programing language its the only kinnda thing i know like that and its easy

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #38 on: July 20, 2008, 07:37:16 PM »
      i prefer batch even though its not even a programing language its the only kinnda thing i know like that and its easy

What language are you using to write your batch files?

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #39 on: July 20, 2008, 07:53:28 PM »
      english ???

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #40 on: July 20, 2008, 08:31:56 PM »
      Well, excuse me all the way to Hades and back for not knowing!

I haven't programmed for over twenty years now.  I used to do some UNIX shell scripting.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #41 on: July 20, 2008, 08:32:52 PM »
      lolol

Dias de verano

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2008, 10:58:14 PM »