Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD-RW DRIVE WON'T WRITE  (Read 15578 times)

dixieflash

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: CD-RW DRIVE WON'T WRITE
    « Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 04:06:14 PM »
    "you have to re-associate music files with some program, which is PRESENT on your computer." Would that not be Roxio, which is present and is what I have used since installing the RW drive? Roxio is present and operating but the drives are still looking for Itunes. How do I tell the drives Itunes is gone and to connect to Roxio, or however?

"I assume RW, not RO?"  No, I mean the RO shows it is reading the tracks but during the recording on RW, I get those messages.

Thanks for your patience.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 04:08:59 PM »
    What program do you normally use to play music?

dixieflash

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 04:14:46 PM »
      Well, my library of music is in Windows Media Player. ???

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 04:21:21 PM »
      Right click on any music file on CD, click Open with, select Windows Media Player from the list, put checkmark in Alwyas open... box, and click OK.
      You should be set for opening music CDs with Windows Media Player from now on.
      You'll have to repeat same procedure for every other type of music files.

dixieflash

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 04:52:22 PM »
        Okay, just went to Windows Media Player and began recording a music disc from the RO drive to my music library. Going fine. I ended that and put in a blank disc in the RW drive and tried to record from the media library - it showed Using Roxio Burning, the a box came up and says "Access to this drive (RW) is denied."  How do I get Access to the RW drive? Whew!

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 04:59:57 PM »
        You're doing it wrong.
        Windows Media Player doesn't store any songs. It's library is only  A LIST of songs, which have to located somewhere else.
        For instance, I have all my songs stored in C:\MP3. When I open WMP, I can create a library out of those songs, but WMP stores only a list of song, which belong to created library. Songs them selves are still in C:\MP3 folder.
        If you want to record any song to CD, you must point Roxio to a folder, where those songs are stored.
        Also, to get music out of regular CD, and out to your hard drive, that CD has to be ripped.

dixieflash

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 05:06:27 PM »
          "Right click on any music file on CD, click Open with, select Windows Media Player from the list, put checkmark in Alwyas open... box, and click OK."

OK, I did that. Music CD will play from the RO drive using Windows Media Player.  When I try to record from the WMP library to the RW drive, it says "access to the specified device is denied."  How do I get access to the RW drive?    

I understand, now, about the library part. Tnx. But I still am being denied
          access to the RW drive. ???

"Also, to get music out of regular CD, and out to your hard drive, that CD has to be ripped."  What is ripped? 

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 05:37:15 PM »
          When I try to record from the WMP library to the RW drive
          I told you, already, you can't. WMP doesn't store songs, but only  A LIST of songs (like shortcuts). You can't burn shortcuts. Music for burning has to be stored somewhere on your hard drive.

What is ripped?

Ripping is the process of copying audio or video content to a hard disk. You need special program to do it.
          Plenty of them here: http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=cd+ripper&licenseType=49&tag=dir.li

dixieflash

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 07:16:07 PM »
            Guess I have a ripping program - not having a problem copying from a CD to the hard drive.

I performed the "C" suggestion in your 01:30:49 PM msg today. The drives were reinstalled.

Just tried again to copy a music cd using Roxio; The RO drive showed all of
            the tracks being scanned, then it began recording on the RW drive - after 4% complete this msg came up: "CD Creation Error: The following errors occurred while creating the CD; E800441931 TrackWriter error-CD read failed - (T7142).  Hit the HELP spot but nothing came up. How do I address this error? Thanks.

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 07:24:10 PM »
            Guess I have a ripping program - not having a problem copying from a CD to the hard drive.
            Say again?

As for your error, try different burning programs, both free:
            - http://www.cdburnerxp.se/
            - http://www.deepburner.com/

dixieflash

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 07:30:45 PM »
              "Say again?" I am able to copy a disc from the Read drive to the Hard drive. What I can't do is Write on a disc with the RW drive, you see?

"Try a different burning program;" Would that more or less duplicate Roxio and replace it?

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 07:33:22 PM »
              Would that more or less duplicate Roxio and replace it?
              It can be installed alongside Roxio. My point is to check, if RW drive itself is OK, by using different burning program.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 10:07:20 PM »
              Choose the first one on his list..... ;)
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dixieflash

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 07:39:36 AM »
                The first one on the list: I downloaded that one and then it required another download which wasn't compatible with Win 2000. So, now what do you suggest? Thanks.

dixieflash

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 12:32:20 PM »
                  Still trying. I put a music disc in the R-RW drive and close it: the contents shows, then a window comes up from Desktop and says access to the specified device is denied. Can go no further. Okay, I go to Desktop and click on the R-RW icon and CD Deluxe pops up and begins playing the tunes. So the R-RW drive works if I do it that way, but I still have not been able to get it to record from any source. Does that tell you anything? Why am I being denied access? I still think it is looking for ITunes, which before this problem popped up I had uninstalled.