Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop will not connect wirelessly to secure network- w/ password  (Read 4042 times)

danielleizzi

Topic Starter

Rookie

I have a laptop that is a part of my home network and connects just fine to my home network (set up by geeksquad).  I can also connect wirelessly to unsecured networks that are available in the neighborhood but these are very weak connections.  I am trying to connect to the connection at my parents home and I have the password.  It tries to connect and says "acquiring network address" and the ball bops back and forth but it never connects.  While trying to connect, it reads "waiting for the network to be ready?

Then it says that I am connected but continues to read "acquiring network address" as the ball bounces.

My sister's laptop has the same problem, unable to connect.

Is this a problem on my laptop or the home PC? or both?

I have disabled all firewalls on both the laptop and the PC.

ALSO, my husband tried to connect directly to the router and then it reads something about conflicting IP addresses...

please help...

alexK

Re: Laptop will not connect wirelessly to secure network- w/ password
    « Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 04:50:23 PM »
    Hey Danielleizzi,

Between you, your sister and parents, there seems to be a IP-Address conflict. I bet it is a problem with Static IP-Adrressess, and by chance you can connect to the neighbours.

First of all, re-instate the FireWall, it is a dangerous thing to turn it off. If you can connect through the neighbours, than you have no FireWall problems.

You have to look at the all Routers and PC/Laptop Ip-Address settings. If you have your Laptop set as Static, it may be fine, but at your parents it my not be fine, as they may (guaranteed) have their Laptop or Desktop IP-Address set the same (static at the same Address), and that is what their Router does not like. Thus Conflict.

To solve the problem: Set all IP-Addresses to Dynamic.
    1. Open the Router and look for DHCP Listing/Allocation. There you will see a list  Dynamic Allocated equipment. Go to Wireless Listing and there you will see a list Wireless equipment, Dynamic or Static.  Make a note of their Name and MAC Addresses. Go to the Logfile and clear it if possible.
    2. Go to your Lap/Desktop and change your IP-Address settings to Dynamic.
    3. Shut down the Lap/Desktops.
    4. Shut down the Routers. Unplug all cables and most important, unplug the power cord. Let that sit for at least 10 Min's. This should clear the ARP Stack that contains the IP-Address.
    5. Reconnect all the Router cables and power-up. Wait until all lights have stopped flashing.
    6. Start your Lap/Desktop, and logon. Now the Router should do a proper DHCP allocation. This may take up to 20 minutes on your Router.
    7. Go to the Router and look again at the DHCP and Wireless listing, and see what is listed. You may have duplicate Names, but these will disappear. Go to the Logfile and notice the Allocations and Start-ups of Equipment.
    8. It would be useful if you could run the following batch command before you do all the above mentioned things, and after you are started up again, on each Machine. This will tell you your IP-Address and whether it is Dynamic or Static
    echo ++++++++++++++ARP -a++++++++
    ARP -a
    9. It would be wise to set-up the Dynamic settings on all (but one) Lap/Desktop and the  Router at your parents place, then you know it works. Then you only re-set your own Router Later.

Good Luck

danielleizzi

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Laptop will not connect wirelessly to secure network- w/ password
      « Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 05:36:07 PM »
      i will give this all a try and let you know what happens...thanks for your detailed response...let's cross our fingers!

Danielle