Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: workgroup not accessible?  (Read 5444 times)

tecnofobe

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

workgroup not accessible?
    « on: July 17, 2008, 02:06:07 PM »
    i have a home network with one desktop running xp and two laptops (one vista and one xp), connected via a belkin G router. All 3 computers can connect to the internet and my isp effortlessly. But we can't share anything else on our network - even though file and printer sharing is ON and firewalls are adjusted accordingly. I have created a workgroupbut every time i search for it from any one of the computers this message pops up:
    XXXX (workgroup name) IS NOT ACCESSIBLE. YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO USE THE NETWORK RESOURCE. CONTACT THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THIS SERVER TO FIND OUT IF YOU HAVE ACCESS PERMISSIONS. THE LIST OF SERVERS IS NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE'
    Anybody know what that means? The workgroup has clearly been identified but I'm not allowed to access it. Am I the administrator, and if not who is? Is it my ISP?
    all advice gratefully received.

hmar

Beginner

Re: workgroup not accessible?
      « Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 07:24:40 AM »
      Have you joined each computer to that workgroup?

tecnofobe

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 05:53:02 AM »
        yes each computer belongs to the same workgroup and they all share the same ip address. They just dont see each other. Like I said they can all connect to the internet but not to the workgroup or to each other. Firewalls are off when I try to connect. This is driving me (and the family) crazy.

>:(

gopinath

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 05:21:24 AM »
          Hai,

Some network files are missing or corrupted. Please see the given below link.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301041

Regards
          Gopinath

hmar

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 06:42:55 AM »
            Did you mean the same ip address, or same network? ip addresses must be unique within a given network. If they are all the same, they won't be able to communicate. they need to be in the same ip range, but must be different(make the first three octets the same, and the last one unique).