Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dir command - the system cannot find the path specified???  (Read 4461 times)

bbxrider

Topic Starter

Starter

for win xp-pro, on a work pc, not sure all the configuration that has been set by big company, eds

in my dos window, no matter where i'm at, even c:\, the 'dir' command always returns 'the system cannot find the path specified'
    please believe me, i am not crazy, and have been using dos ever since the first dos and have issued 1000's of dir commands on every windows o/s.

there is some sort of config parameter somewhere that is blocking or not allowing perhaps the most basic dos command of all not to work?
    anybody see this? googling so far has not found anything
    bob

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
    Re: dir command - the system cannot find the path specified???
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 01:31:49 PM »
    Just a thought, but do you have a variable dircmd set in the environment?

8)
    The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

bbxrider

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 04:35:05 PM »
      that was it,  thanks very much, mine was set to a bogus .cmd file
       not sure how it got there, will have to check after next reboot and what ini thing sets those up.
      looks like a great tool when used right

erobby

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 06:24:29 PM »
        first make sure c:\windows\system32 is in your path statement or it may show as %systemroot%\system32

Second I don't know if it was a typo but what you entered had a comma after C:\

Dir is an internal not external so it only need the path to command.com or cmd.exe