Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can a Dell C600 with Win 98SE be upgraded to XP?  (Read 8757 times)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Can a Dell C600 with Win 98SE be upgraded to X
    « Reply #15 on: February 25, 2005, 12:41:46 PM »
    EaglesfanPhila.......
    "Well, I called the company that I brought the laptop from and they said that I couldn't load XP to it.  But when I read the system requirements for XP, my computer has more than the required amount.   I don't want to go and buy and upgrade if I don't need it. "

Why did they tell you XP couldnt be loaded ? Your system specs will certainly handle it .....Was it Dell that told you this ?     or did you say that you were going to borrow a copy of XP and would they load it for you .......
    That should have resulted in a NO it cant be done answer ....
    If you read the license info re the use of software , particularly Micro Soft ......it states very plainly that the software is to be installed on one machine only.......( so if you had say 3 pc's .........and had one legal copy ....it may only be installed on one machine )...It's all about licensing fees .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

EaglesfanPhila

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2005, 12:50:10 PM »
    EaglesfanPhila.......
    "Well, I called the company that I brought the laptop from and they said that I couldn't load XP to it.  But when I read the system requirements for XP, my computer has more than the required amount.   I don't want to go and buy and upgrade if I don't need it. "

Why did they tell you XP couldnt be loaded ? Your system specs will certainly handle it .....Was it Dell that told you this ?     or did you say that you were going to borrow a copy of XP and would they load it for you .......
    That should have resulted in a NO it cant be done answer ....
    If you read the license info re the use of software , particularly Micro Soft ......it states very plainly that the software is to be installed on one machine only.......( so if you had say 3 pc's .........and had one legal copy ....it may only be installed on one machine )...It's all about licensing fees .

I asked the company I bought the Laptop from, which isn't Dell, could I replace the preloaded windows 98SE with XP and he said no, it would kill my system.  I don't believe that, so I came here to see what you guys think.
    « Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 01:16:22 PM by EaglesfanPhila »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2005, 01:06:56 PM »
      EaglesfanPhila......
      "I asked the company I bought the Laptop from could I replace the preloaded windows 98SE with XP and he said no, it would kill my system. " Did you buy the laptop from DELL and was it DELL who told you this ?
      Or is there a chapter in this story missing ...lol

Your laptop will certainly run with XP based on the specs you have provided .

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

EaglesfanPhila

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2005, 01:15:07 PM »
      EaglesfanPhila......
      "I asked the company I bought the Laptop from could I replace the preloaded windows 98SE with XP and he said no, it would kill my system. " Did you buy the laptop from DELL and was it DELL who told you this ?
      Or is there a chapter in this story missing ...lol

And no, I didn't purchase it from Dell.  

EaglesfanPhila

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2005, 01:17:17 PM »
      Quote from: dl65

[/quote

That's what I wanted to know.  Thanks Everybody!:-)

Joleen

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2005, 01:28:57 PM »
      Think of it this way.  Even if it doesn't work, you got a format and some knowledge.  What's the worst that can happen?  Back up your data and have-at-er.