Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PS/2 to USB - Using any USB device!  (Read 4043 times)

caHarkness

Topic Starter

Rookie

PS/2 to USB - Using any USB device!
    « on: July 24, 2008, 10:59:46 AM »
    I don't really know if this is possible..
    but if anyone came across a driver for Windows 95+
    that enables any USB device through the PS/2 port..
    (Using a PS/2 to USB converter).

I want to use a USB SanDisk ImageMate CompactFlash
    on my old notebook PC.. there are no USB ports. If there
    is a such driver like this.. it may come in handy to transfer
    files onto this laptop.. (in large quantities).

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: PS/2 to USB - Using any USB device!
    « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 01:22:53 PM »
    This is not available.... The PS2 ports will only support ASCII and X & Y Mouse ( encoder wheel position counts ) and left right clicks etc.

The PS2 to USB plugs that you refer to will convert a backwards compatible Keyboard or Mouse to work on a PS2 port, but the Flash Media will not work in this manner. Also not all USB Mice and Keyboards wil work on these converters. The chipset in the mouse or keyboard has to support powering off of the PS2 port and then translating communications in Classic PS2 communication mode vs USB BUS communications.

If you had all the money in the world though, you could put together a contraption that would mount the Flash drive and then pass the connunications ( slowly) through ASCII and then decode the ASCII at the other end on the Windows 95B box, but its not worth the hassle.

Windows 95 also has very limited USB support. If you get a USB mouse to work on it, your having a good day. Windows 98SE had better, but still limited support. The best support for flash media is Windows 2000 or newer OS.

Best bet would be to network the laptop via Ethernet if it has a PCMCIA slot that is older non-32-bit, or serial network through Null Cable, or Parallel LPT network setup....Or sneaker network ( copy files to floppy back and forth between systems ) ok as long as you dont hit files exceeding 1.44MB and you have 2 clean healthy floppy drives that are not filled with lint from years of no use.

I have used both the serial and parallel method before for networking old laptops to new computers. The biggest problem is that most newer computers dont havefloppy drives or serial ports and LPT ports are also a dying feature on new systems.

Transfers for LPT communications is about 1.2k baud, and you can crank the serial connection up to around 115k if you have a null cable and serial ports available at both systems. If wanting to access this data from more than 1 system, you will need to go Ethernet.

caHarkness

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: PS/2 to USB - Using any USB device!
      « Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 12:15:54 AM »
      Actually, Thanks for the info..
      =) It helps.. I have already tried the
      LPT direct cable connection method..

No luck. -.-
      I have got the floppy drive
      to work a bit.. though it only
      handles one of my floppy disks..