Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: slow computer  (Read 2118 times)

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

slow computer
    « on: July 26, 2008, 12:05:26 AM »
    help my computer (Win XP) has suddenly become very slow.  I have to wait for almost 5-10 minutes for any application to open including the firefox browser.  I did a defrag, a  registry cleanup through glarysoft software, I removed all unnecessary programs from being loaded at start up.  I ran an avg scan (no viruses, but just cookies, I removed those anyway). 

I dont know what else to do.  Its still running very slow.  It is a pretty new computer, just 6 months old

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: slow computer
    « Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 12:40:50 AM »
    Here's something you can try.

Go to Start --> RUN --> type msconfig and press Enter
    When you get to msconfifg, click the Startup Tab uncheck as many programs as you can (except antivirus software)
    Note: Unchecked programs can still be run. This just stops them from running when Windows Starts up which is usually unnecessary.

Then I suggest downloading and installing CCleaner.
    Make sure Temporary Files under System is checked (you can uncheck everything else).
    Run the cleaner.

Now head over to the Registry part in Ccleaner and run the Scan and Removal a few times.

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 05:50:12 PM »
      C dude O2,

:)

Apparently, ccleaner also has a tab where I can see the startup items and check or uncheck them.  Would changing the loadup program list through ccleaner be any different from doing it through msconfig?  I know that after you change something with msconfig, you have to reboot your computer whereas with startup inspector or ccleaner you dont.

also if I run ccleaner to clean up the memory,  would removing temporary files only remove any viruses and such that might be slowing the computer?  What about the other things it finds, how do i know which ones to remove?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 05:58:53 PM »
      Apparently, ccleaner also has a tab where I can see the startup items and check or uncheck them.  Would changing the loadup program list through ccleaner be any different from doing it through msconfig?
      If you want, you can use the one in CCleaner. I suggested msconfig because you can re-tick them if they did something to your computer.

would removing temporary files only remove any viruses and such that might be slowing the computer? 
      Clearing the System's Temporary File basically removes unneeded files. I just ran it on one of my home computers and it removed 1.2 GB of useless files.

As for viruses, they won't necessarily remove them unless they are in the Temporary Files.
      If you need Virus removal help, this is the way to go:
      http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 06:37:32 PM »
        Don't use ccleaner it deletes the entries and you would still have to reboot anyway.
        Head over to the virus forum to make sure your computer is clean.