Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: OpenOffice 2.4 Difficulties - .pdf files  (Read 5294 times)

ka.

Topic Starter

OpenOffice 2.4 Difficulties - .pdf files
    « on: July 28, 2008, 04:08:09 AM »
    In an attempt to configure OpenOffice 2.4 to read an .indd file, I think I inadvertently changed the OpenOffice defaults -> and now am unable to open .pdf files [think it might have been changes to the character set options that did it].

Does anyone know how to revert OpenOffice back to its default settings? I had no issues before - and now I can only open .pdf files with "Document Viewer".
    Do I have to resort to uninstalling & reinstalling my OpenOffice to fix this? *shudder*

I am new to Linux [obviously] and am using Ubuntu 8.04

Any input would be appreciated.

KenJackson

Beginner
      • Yes
      • Jackson I/O
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: OpenOffice 2.4 Difficulties - .pdf files
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 07:05:53 PM »
    I don't know officially, but if you haven't made many customizations, you could just blow away the OpenOffice directory in your home directory.  Exit all OpenOffice applications and try this:
    Code: [Select]
    cd
    mv .ooo-2.0 old.ooo-2.0

Then startup OpenOffice and see if you like it.  If not, exit and do the reverse to restore.  But in the mean time, OpenOffice probably already created a new directory, so you need to delete that one before restoring the old one:
    Code: [Select]
    rm -rf .ooo-2.0
    mv old.ooo-2.0 .ooo-2.0

On the other hand, if you decide everything is fine, you can remove the old directory.

Alternately, instead of messing with the whole (huge) directory, you could dive down in there and read configuration files and rename one file at a time.

ka.

Topic Starter

Re: OpenOffice 2.4 Difficulties - .pdf files
      « Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 10:36:08 AM »
      thanks so much for you suggestion. Removing the old directory worked like a charm :)

ka.