Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: May be making the switch to Opera.  (Read 3306 times)

janlafata

Topic Starter

Rookie

May be making the switch to Opera.
    « on: August 06, 2008, 02:17:05 PM »
    I have been running the latest Firefox release, 3.01 for the past few weeks and I have finally come to the conclusion that it's still not fast enough for me to use as my default browser.

I have tried doing a few tweaks, which have sped things up some, but I'm still not impressed with it's overall loading of pages and images. So now, after reading about how fast Opera is, I think I'm going to at least try it out.

One of things that concerns me though, is that I currently know nothing about add-ons or plugins or whatever you might call them for Opera. My main concern at this point is finding some kind of utility that will sync my Opera favorites with my Internet Explorer favorites automatically. In Firefox they had a neat little utility called PlainOldFavorites, and basically what it did was put a Favorites menu on the top toolbar, next to Tools and Help etc.

The neat thing about this was that I could add a favorite under it in Firefox and that favorite would then also show up in Internet Explorer Favorites. There was no need to add a favorite or a bookmark to Firefox, then open up IE and have to add the same favorite there. PlainOldFavorites did it automatically for you.

So I wanted to know, is there something similar for Opera? I also don't know much about the bookmarking system for Opera. Is there something built into that, that will do the same thing?

There were just a few other plugin items that concerned me while I have been thinking about this switch. I enjoy using StumbleUpon in Firefox, but they make no toolbar for Opera. I did however find an alternative, so I am covered there. This is what I guess I will be using:

http://www.operastumbler.com/

I was also hoping to find a Google toolbar for Opera, but after much searching, I found out there is nothing available for Opera yet. But apparently I understand that you can customize Opera's search for Google. Correct me if I am wrong about that.

Finally, I think I have also found some nice ad blockers for Opera. Here's some links for those:

http://operawiki.info/BlockAdvertisements
    http://operawiki.info/OperaAdblock

So I think that covers all I need for now to get me started. Like I mentioned though, my main concern is finding a real nice favorite or bookmark syncing utility that hopefully will work as good as PLainOldFavorites does in Firefox.

I look forward to your comments.
    Jan LaFata

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: May be making the switch to Opera.
    « Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 02:33:44 PM »
    I was using IE7 up to a weeks ago and decided to try out Firefox, so I did. I've been using it since.

To be honest, I wouldn't change to Opera, because many new website features and technologies that are coming out aren't compatable with smaller browsers like Opera....

Now Opera isn't that "small" of a browser, but it's not as popular as Firefox, which obviously slows development of newer versions of Opera. If people really like a browser you created and it is popular, you are going to put more time into developing it.

That's another reason I like Firefox.... All the add-ons and features you can apply. I don't know of any add-ons for Opera.

In my opinion, one good thing about Opera is that it can display WAP and mobile websites.

Well, that's my lecture finished. ;D

!~*:.Pink Floyd.:*~!

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 06:41:03 PM »
    kpac's right.

Firefox may not be the fastest but it sure is the safest.

!~*:.Pink Floyd.:*~!

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 07:42:58 PM »
    On the other hand Im gonna tryout Opera

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 10:35:53 PM »
    I've tried Opera....never got into it. Still an FF2 user. (No Broni, not FF3 :P)

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 10:28:25 AM »
      janlafata,On the subject of an alternative to a google tool bar you may want to check out the new search engine "CUIL" (pronounced cool). It has only been out about 1 week and is touted to be the best since sliced bread.i am using it but only on a manual demand basis. Supposed to be superior to Google.Don't know if they offer a tool bar option.truenorth