Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows98 SE  (Read 5760 times)

rogerlewis

Topic Starter

Rookie

Windows98 SE
    « on: July 01, 2008, 04:09:52 PM »
    Hi everyone, I've been given an old notebook computer a really old one it's running Windows98SE, the guy who gave it to me said it had not been used for 18 months. the fist time i turned it on i got a the message Invalid Hibernation Partition/File...Run HDPREP did that nothing happened HDPREP doesn't exist. I put a music CD in, it didn't work,i went into device manager nothing wrong there went into the properties of the CD everythings OK there to, so i restarted the computer i then noticed the error message this driver is provided by Oak Technology Inc..OTI-91X ATAPI CD-ROM Device Driver, Rev D91XV352 (C) Copyright Oak Technology Inc 1987-1997-Device Name MSCD001  No Drives found aborting Installation..C:\ LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE/D:MSCD001  DEVICE DRIVER NOT FOUND MSCD001 NO VALID CDROM DEVICE DRIVERS SELECTED, i get this message even when i use the Windows98 boot disk,now it's been years since I've used DOS I've  had to relearn it all over again i think I've tried everything, I've been in the Config & Autoexec this week more times than I've had hot dinners all year it still won't work I'm beginning to think it might be the CD-ROM itself but i have no way of testing it. Next i tried the USBs,the USB pendrive i have needs drivers to work in Windows98 I've got the drivers but guess where they are on the CD that came with the pendrive,my CD-ROM won't work! i downloaded some drivers for the USB supposed to work with 99.9 of USBs installed them put the pendrive in and hey presto it got recognised trouble is i can't copy from or to it it won't even play the music files that's on it,one error message tells me to see the administrator the other one tells me to put the original disk in I'm getting really fed up now. So now to the hard part the next time i start the notebook apart from the error messages about HDPREP and no CD-ROM drivers the last error message i get now is    Error: An I/O subsystem driver failed to load Either a file in the .\iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt or the system is low on memory. I think you might be able to guess what i said when i saw that,well I've tried this - The maximum cache size is set by adding a "maxfilecache" line to the vcache section of System.ini. The following example shows what an entry in System.ini would look like to set the maximum cache size to 6MB:  [vcache]
       maxfilecache=6144 but guess what it didn't work and according to Microsoft this is not supposed to happen in 98 only 95. So I'm stuck, that's as far as the computer will go even in safe mode can anyone help please thank for listening regards Roger. Oh yeah the notebook has whopping 32MBs of memory and a huge 6GB hard drive, a AMIBIOS power management Ver 1.5 and a Motherboard with no name.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows98 SE
    « Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 08:47:12 PM »
    Post both your autoexec.bat and config.sys files...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rogerlewis

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 04:35:55 AM »
      Hello again, thanks for the quick response. My Config.sys is as follows
      device=C:\windows\himem.sys
      dos= high,umb
      device=C:\windows\emm386.exe noems
      devicehigh=C:\mscdex.sys/D:mscd001
      device=C:|windows\dblbuff.sys
      devicehigh=C:\windows\IFSHLP.SYS
      lastdrive=z

the AUTOEXEC.BAT is
      echo off set path=C:\windows;C:\
      LH C:\windows\command\mscdex.exe/D:mscd001

i hope this helps thanks alot, Roger

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 10:50:29 AM »
      Travel to bootdisk.com and DLoad the Win98SE bootdisk...
      Make sure it is the one with CDROM support on the list.
      Use the file to create a bootable floppy and see if the CDRom works now.
      If so you may need to do a repair install.
      There is a method that will save your data so post back with your results for further instructions...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rogerlewis

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 11:18:59 AM »
        Hi, patio
        I had all ready done that, but i've just done it again and i'm still getting the same messages may i point out though that the first message reads, No Drives found aborting installation,Drives not Drivers however the cd-rom is being recognised in the bios Roger

rogerlewis

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 07:21:03 AM »
          Hello again, Is there any way of by passing this Error: An I/O subsystem driver failed to load Either a file in the .\iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt or the system is low on memory. so i can at least start windows98, that is without cd-support thanks Roger

rogerlewis

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 05:43:51 AM »
            Hi. Is there anybody there? can you help me? Roger

rogerlewis

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 05:36:27 PM »
              Hi can anybody help me with this problem?

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
              « Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 08:35:21 PM »
              Hello again, thanks for the quick response. My Config.sys is as follows
              device=C:\windows\himem.sys
              dos= high,umb
              device=C:\windows\emm386.exe noems
              devicehigh=C:\mscdex.sys/D:mscd001
              device=C:|windows\dblbuff.sys
              devicehigh=C:\windows\IFSHLP.SYS
              lastdrive=z

the AUTOEXEC.BAT is
              echo off set path=C:\windows;C:\
              LH C:\windows\command\mscdex.exe/D:mscd001

i hope this helps thanks alot, Roger

Rem out the two lines I underlined then reboot.  If this works you might boot into Win.98 but without cdrom support.  The 'no drive' error message means that the driver is not detecting the drive, it might just be a matter of replugging the drive (always awkward on a notebook) or that the drive is unserviceable.

Good luck
              One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
              « Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 04:36:23 PM »
              I do not know of any workaround for that error.   Here is a discussion on the subject.

Replacing the cdrom will improve your chances of installing W.98
              One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.