Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: graphic images or pictures  (Read 10212 times)

dimilinowski

Topic Starter

Rookie

• let me say thanks ahead of time! Thanks!!!
    Re: graphic images or pictures
    « Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 06:29:59 AM »
    I still don't understand what you're saying ( and since I'm trying to write in perl I switched to the perl forum) but what I want is to be able to run a perl program and open and manipulate a picture in perl or whatever. 

Thanks
    Diane
    dimilinowski

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 05:33:54 PM »
    Okay, I'll try to simplify.  Win XP only.

When you are using Cmd.exe, the so-called Command Prompt, you are still running in Windows, there is no MS-Dos in Windows XP just a Dos emulator program which runs in a window.   This dos emulator looks like Dos, feels like Dos, smells like Dos, uses dos-look-alike commands (and many more), in some cases performs like Dos and is most often called Dos but is a program running in Windows.

Here is a definition of emulate from Dictionary.com:
    To imitate the function of (another system), as by modifications to hardware or software that allow the imitating system (Windows) to accept the same data, execute the same programs, and achieve the same results as the imitated system (MS-Dos).

The emboldened and underlined words are mine.

In Windows when you click to open a file the file extension (.txt or .jpg or .jpeg or .gif etc...) is checked against a list of Associations to determine what program is associated with that filetype and should be used to open the file.  So, if .jpg files are associated with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer that program will be started and the program in turn opens the file.  If the program associated with the file-type is not capable of opening the file an error message and options are displayed and the user must select what should happen next.

What you should understand is that when you open a file by entering commands at the Command Prompt or by clicking on it in a Window the same process occurs.  File associations can be changed by the user, see here..

If you want to open an image using Perl then I think you have to code the instructions to open the file within your program.  Unfortunately my Perl knowledge level is not good enough for me to advise you how to do this.  Perhaps some other member will drop by..

Good luck
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

dimilinowski

Topic Starter

Rookie

• let me say thanks ahead of time! Thanks!!!
      « Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 11:00:57 AM »
      And I assume Apple has their own version of cmd.exe also (or even the same one)?

The "" is required if the path and the file name of the started file needs to be quoted. (ex: start "" "C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\Perl\us.jpg")

The "" is not required if the path and file name of the started file does not need to be quoted. (ex: start c:\temp\us.jpg)

Please, if the started file needs to be quoted then I was assume that this is some type of C (language) variable?  And the unquoted started file but be an absolute?

Thanks
      Diane 

I know nothing of C programming language. 

dimilinowski

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 01:39:06 PM »
        And I assume Apple has their own version of cmd.exe also (or even the same one)?

Apple doesnt have any thing that even remotely relates to Command Prompt or MS-DOS, because Command Prompt and MS-DOS were created by Microsoft which is were they got MS-DOS(Micro.Soft-Disk.Operating.System)

but there is a emulator of Command Prompt for Mac OS X that you can download here.
        If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 02:41:52 AM »
        what I want is to be able to run a perl program and open and manipulate a picture in perl or whatever. 

Here is a tutorial on opening files in Perl.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.