Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Visual Studio.NET 2005  (Read 33337 times)

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Visual Studio.NET 2005
    « on: August 13, 2008, 03:38:20 PM »
    Hello, I'm new here. So I'm hoping I'm actually posting in the right place. Anyways, I'm going to be attending college in September of this year and was hoping someone could tell me a little about this program?

When I ordered the program through the school and I received it. I figured it would be like 3-4 discs, I was definately wrong about that. When I opened the package, there I counted exactly 14 discs for this program. Now why in gods name would there be 14 different discs? LOL I'm clueless, and hope you could help me with figuring it out.

I also was wondering if you could tell me what this program does, what I would be intentionally learning? The reason I'm asking is because I've never used it. Can you give me some examples of what it can be used for? Like does it make web pages, or programs of some sort that you can place on websites? I'm curious. :)

Thanks, and sorry if this is in the wrong place of the forum.

Any helpful information would be highly appreciated.

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
    Re: Visual Studio.NET 2005
    « Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 06:24:56 PM »
    Welcome to CH.

This article should explain Visual Studio better than I could. All your questions will be answered.

Good luck.  8)
    The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 08:40:03 PM »
      Thanks, I appreciate the link you provided for me. It did help me a bit. Although, now how do I find out if I need to install every disc that came in this package? lol I'm so confused, I honestly didn't know it was going to come with 14 discs. I mean because I have Vista x64 windows. Now I'm not entirely sure. LOL

Here is the list of discs that came in the package.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Academic Professional Edition (all discs have this label)

1. SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition 64-bit CD1
      2. SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition 64-bit CD2
      3. SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition IA 64-bit CD1
      4. SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition IA 64-bit CD2
      5. Disc 1
      6. Disc 2
      7. MSDN Library for Visual Studio Stystem Disc 1
      8. MSDN Library for Visual Studio Stystem Disc 1
      9. MSDN Library for Visual Studio Stystem Disc 2
      10. MSDN Library for Visual Studio Stystem Disc 2
      11. MSDN Library for Visual Studio Stystem Disc 3
      12. MSDN Library for Visual Studio Stystem Disc 3
      13. SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition 32-bit CD1
      14. SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition 32-bit CD2

Now the ones that seem to be duplicates, they aren't... They are actual discs labled the same. Not sure if it's because a set is supposed to be for 64 bit and a set is for 32 bit. I have no clue. The order that I typed them up in the list, is the order that they came in. There are no other lables as far as stating whether or not discs are for 32 or 64 bit other than the ones that have it stated in the title of the disc... Any help would be HIGHLY appreciated!!

I just don't want to install the wrong ones or whatever. Or end up installing all of the discs when it didn't need to be.

I hope that makes any sense at all?

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 05:19:16 AM »
      Best I could find out is that Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Academic Professional Edition is a boxed set. Did it not come with any instructions? Have you checked the disks for readme files or other text files that may provide instructions?

3. SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition IA 64-bit CD1
      4. SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition IA 64-bit CD2
      13. SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition 32-bit CD1
      14. SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition 32-bit CD2

If you have a 64-bit machine choose disks 1 & 2. Disks 3 & 4 are specific to the Intel Itanium processor series.

7. MSDN Library for Visual Studio Stystem Disc 1
      8. MSDN Library for Visual Studio Stystem Disc 1
      9. MSDN Library for Visual Studio Stystem Disc 2
      10. MSDN Library for Visual Studio Stystem Disc 2
      11. MSDN Library for Visual Studio Stystem Disc 3
      12. MSDN Library for Visual Studio Stystem Disc 3

These would be the help files. Try using Windows Explorer to determine which set of 3 discs is for 32 and 64 bit machines.

5. Disc 1
      6. Disc 2

Presumably, these are the actual Studio programs. Studio installs in about 3GB so you probably need both disks. Use Windows Explorer to determine which bit version you have. You might be able to get an indication by the file names (setup32, setup64, etc)

If the actual program files are 32-bit, I would stick to the 32 bit versions of SQL and the MSDN library.

Good luck.  8)

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 08:53:47 AM »
        Thanks for your help. I'm like so confused, LOL... The program actually arrived in a manilla or whatever you call those envelopes, and then there was no instructions either.

I'm not happy at all the way the program came because each disc was also placed in a sleeve. Now how would I go about exactly taking and checking to see if they are 32 or 64 bit discs?

Oooo... This may help.. On the first sleeve, of the disc it does say some Win 32 on a white sticker... lol Does that mean that it is for windows 32 bit?

Oh... My... Lord... So confusing!

I'm sorry if I'm being a pain or anything...

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 04:35:13 PM »
        Oooo... This may help.. On the first sleeve, of the disc it does say some Win 32 on a white sticker... lol Does that mean that it is for windows 32 bit?

It might if there are others marked Win 64. Did you explore the discs? Did you find any readme files? (they could have no extension, a txt extension, a doc extension, even a html extension)

You ordered them from your school, can you contact them and let them sort it out?

You could also put Disc 1 in the CD player and see what shakes out. If I remember correctly, after Studio installs you have the option to install MSDN. SQL is a separate install from Studio.

I'm not familiar with the student editions of Studio, but if you have product keys, you could even contact Microsoft.

Good luck with your studies. 8)

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 05:08:49 PM »
          Yeah, there are 4 discs with a product key on the back of the sleeves.  Also, the white sticker I was talking about earlier, it says exactly this:

Visual Studio Pro 2005 Win 32 English Disk Kit CD

Also, here's some information from the place that I purchased this software from. The description. Not sure if it would help or not, but it's worth a shot.

Microsoft offers Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition for professional developers working alone or in small teams who build mission-critical, multi-tier applications. The Professional Edition expands on the Standard Edition feature set to include tools for remote server development and debugging, SQL Server 2005 development, and a full, unconstrained development environment.

Professional developers will enjoy unfettered access to the .NET Framework 2.0, a robust, fully functional development environment, support for creating tools that extend the Visual Studio Integrated Development Environment, and tools for creating multi-tier Windows and Web applications.

With Visual Studio 2005, professional developers can:

Enjoy a complete development environment with comprehensive application development features
          Develop and debug multi-tier server applications from within the unified development environment
          Build solutions for SQL Server 2005 using integrated project types, deployment tools, and debugging features
          Build tools that extend the Visual Studio IDE using the Visual Studio SDK

This is the image that it shows, but keep in mind... I didn't get any instructions, and not even a box that it shows as the picture.

Let me know if this at all helps? lol

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 05:27:48 PM »
          Visual Studio Pro 2005 Win 32 English Disk Kit CD

I don't know what disc from the list has this sticker, but it seems to be the 32-bit VS 2005. Once you find the first disc to insert, you'll be prompted for the rest. The ones marked MSDN and SQL are not the VS program. My money is on the CD marked Disk 1.

I'm not certain why you received all those disks. The standard edition has 2 CD for the program, 1 CD for MSDN and 1 CD for SQL.

You never answered my questions about readme files. Can you contact the school IT department?

8)

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 05:48:29 PM »
            Sorry. I missed that question that you asked. I actually meant to ask earlier, how do I go about seeing the readme file without starting up with the installation?

Would I just cancel the installation, and then My Computer, to look at the files on the disc?

So should I start with the disc with the white sticker on it? I'm so scared, HA HA!

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 06:02:59 PM »
              Okay, I hate doubling posting. But I went ahead and put the first disc of the stack in. I went and and found the readme file.

It shows links for contents such as the following:

Contents
              1.0 Introduction
              2.0 Installing SQL Server 2005
                  2.1 Accessing Setup Documentation
                  2.2 Upgrading to SQL Server 2005
                  2.3 Side-by-Side Installations
                  2.4 Uninstalling SQL Server 2005
                  2.5 Setup Issues
                  2.6 Failover Cluster Setup Issues
                  2.7 Installation Considerations for Pre-Release Versions of SQL Server 2005
              3.0 Obtaining Additional Information
                  3.1 Getting SQL Server 2005 Assistance
                  3.2 Providing Feedback on SQL Server 2005
                  3.3 SQL Server 2005 Books Online and Developer Documentation
              4.0 Documentation Notes
                  4.1 Database Engine
                  4.2 Analysis Services
                  4.3 Notification Services
                  4.4 Reporting Services
                  4.5 Replication
                  4.6 SQL Server 2005 Mobile Edition
                  4.7 Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
                  4.8 Shared Tools
                  4.9 Samples
                  4.10 Data Access

1. SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition 64-bit CD1  * (information above)
              2. SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition 64-bit CD2  * (has the same as shown above)
              3. SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition IA 64-bit CD1  * (has the same as shown above)
              4. SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition IA 64-bit CD2  * (same as shown above)
              5. Disc 1  * (setup file/installation file)
              6. Disc 2  * (setup file/installation file)
              7. MSDN Library for Visual Studio Stystem Disc 1  * (setup file/installation file)
              8. MSDN Library for Visual Studio Stystem Disc 1  * (setup file/installation file)
              9. MSDN Library for Visual Studio Stystem Disc 2  * (setup file/installation file)
              10. MSDN Library for Visual Studio Stystem Disc 2 *(setup file/installation file)
              11. MSDN Library for Visual Studio Stystem Disc 3 *(setup file/installation file)
              12. MSDN Library for Visual Studio Stystem Disc 3 *(setup file/installation file)
              13. SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition 32-bit CD1*(same as above information)
              14. SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition 32-bit CD2*(same as above information)

PS: I'm going to edit this post now that I figured out how to do that. lol And put a star next to each disc I do for the readme files.

I'm not sure if I did what you wanted me to do correctly. Did it to the best of my knowledge. LOL
              « Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 06:32:18 PM by cj85 »

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 06:28:22 PM »
              The SQL disks are pretty well marked and you know which is which. You have 2 sets of 3 disks for the MSDN library. Hard to tell if they are dups or sets of 32-bit and 64-bit or does it even matter.  Disc 1 and 2 by default must be the actual program.

Try putting disc 1 in the drive and see what files it contains. Rather than confuse the issue, if the disc starts the install, wait until it puts up a window and then cancel the installation. Now you can use Windows Explorer to explore the disk.

When you ordered VS did you mention your OS (VISTA-64bit). Have you contacted the school IT department?

8)

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                « Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 06:35:11 PM »
                Well no I didn't contact them. But it told me what program I needed to purchase, and that it told me what software to get exactly. So I did that. I don't know, maybe I ordered the wrong one I have no clue. LOL I just know that when I ordered it, it had the title that the required class needed so I got it.

I hope what I posted was any helpful information.

And no haven't contacted school.
                « Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 06:52:00 PM by cj85 »

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 04:39:38 AM »
                Try installing Disc 1 & 2. Based on what you've posted, these are most likely the program files. After installation, start the program, click help, click about. That will present a splash screen with all the details of the software you installed.

Based on that information, you can pick the proper version of SQL to install.

The MSDN library is more problematical. You have two sets of three disks with no indications of 32-bit or 64-bit. I'm not even sure it makes a difference with the help files or if help files even come in 64 bit, but it would be nice if all the software matched.

If you can't/won't contact the school for guidance, try contacting a classmate who has this software. You can even use his disks to install on your system provided you use your product keys.

Visual Studio makes an entry in the add/remove programs applet in the control panel. If anything goes terribly wrong, you can always uninstall the product.

8)

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                  « Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 09:36:39 AM »
                  I will definately give it a shot, and let you know what happens. Again, thank you so much for helping. Also the reason I haven't contacted the school is because I'm taking online classes through Baker College. So I also have no clue who my classmates are until September 20th, lol.

I know, weird but that's the way it is. I just wanted to be able to play around in the program even though I have not a clue what I'm doing. I just wanted to see what it looked like, what kind of things you can do and what not. Get kind of familiar with it if that makes sense? lol More like get ahead of the game, ha ha.

But yeah, I'll do what you suggested as far as putting in Disc 1 and 2 and then give you what I see for details of the program. Now do you think I'll ever need SQL or the MSDN for this program at all? I mean what are the purposes of those? If you don't mind me asking.

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                    « Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 06:26:58 PM »
                    During installing Disc 1 that you suggested, this is what was installed:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 64bit Prerequisites (x64)
                    Microsoft Document Explorer 2005
                    Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
                    .NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP3
                    .NET Compact Framework 2.0
                    Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 Redistributable Package
                    SQL Server 2005 Mobile Edition
                    Microsoft Device Emulator Version 1.0
                    Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition x64
                    Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Remote Dubugger (x64)
                    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SDK (x64)

This was using the recommended install. Does this sound about right?

Edit: Okay, now I popped in the 2nd disc, and after a few minutes of installing or whatever it's doing. lol A window popped up about compatibility issues between this version windows and the visual studio 2005 version. So it wanted me to go online and install 2 things, which is Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 and Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 Update for Windows Vista....

Is that a good thing? I mean that there are updates, for the compatibilities issues?

Edit again: It said there was an error of some sort... here's the error that it gave me

View Error Log
                    [08/15/08,21:08:01] Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition x64: [2] Error code 1 for this component means "Incorrect function.
                    "
                    [08/15/08,21:08:01] Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition x64: [2] Component Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition x64 returned an unexpected value.
                    [08/15/08,21:08:01] Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition x64: [2] Return from system messaging: Incorrect function.

***EndOfSession***

Not exactly all sure about above or if it's even neccessary to worry about.
                    « Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 08:24:49 PM by cj85 »

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 05:51:35 AM »
                    During installing Disc 1 that you suggested, this is what was installed:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 64bit Prerequisites (x64)
                    .NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP3
                    .NET Compact Framework 2.0
                    SQL Server 2005 Mobile Edition
                    Microsoft Device Emulator Version 1.0
                    Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition x64
                    Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Remote Dubugger (x64)

Your installation looks incomplete. Seems to be missing the program languages, VB, C#, C++, and the Web Developer.

So it wanted me to go online and install 2 things, which is Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 and Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 Update for Windows Vista....

A trip to Windows Update is in order. From a security standpoint, you need to keep your machine current. Then try installing disc 2 again.

If Disc 2 installs successfully, next up would be SQL:

I'm a bit surprised with the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition x64 installation. This may or may not create a problem with the SQL Server install. If it does you may have to uninstall the SQL Express edition before the SQL Developer install.

If you installed VS into the default path, do the same with SQL. The products are tightly integrated and your machine will know where to find the components when needed.

As for the MSDN library, best I can guess is choose one of the CD's marked MSDN Disc 1 and go from there.

Now do you think I'll ever need SQL or the MSDN for this program at all? I mean what are the purposes of those? If you don't mind me asking.

SQL Server is a Microsoft database product. If this class is to learn programming, it seems reasonable you'll learn database programming and perhaps a bit of DB administration.

The MSDN library discs are the help files.  Not only only do they offer specific help for the programming languages, but they can teach you programming techniques and offer many examples you can use directly in your code. Do not leave home without them. :D

FYI: The academic version of VS is the same as the Professional edition with a different license and a way cheaper price. If you need help, any info for the Pro version will apply to you.

Good luck.  8)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 06:46:14 AM by Sidewinder »

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                      « Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 09:49:02 AM »
                      A trip to Windows Update is in order. From a security standpoint, you need to keep your machine current. Then try installing disc 2 again.

Okay, now last night I ended up seeing that I needed up update for windows for the computer. So I did that, but tried to run the program and it still said compatibility issues were still there. So I'm not sure.

Now how do I go about reinstalling what's on disc 2 when it's a continue disc from disc 1... Does this mean I would have to possibly uninstall and reinstall? Because when I put in disc 2, and then go to my computer and double click on the disc icon, it doesn't do anything. So is there some thing I need to do in order to get disc to install it's content on my computer?

Thanks again.

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 12:17:24 PM »
                      Most Microsoft applications make a restore point before installing the product. Your best bet would be to restore the system to before the VS install. If you did the Windows Update after the VS install, you'll have to re-do the Windows Updates. That would be the cleanest solution.

If there is no restore point, you'll need to do it manually:

Remove Visual Studio 2005 by using Add or Remove Programs
                      1.   In Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs.

Note To manually open this Control Panel item, click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl in Open box, and then click OK.
                      2.   In the Currently installed programs list, click Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, and then click Change/Remove. Follow the on-screen instructions to remove Microsoft Visual Studio 2005.
                      3.   Note This step is optional. You do not have to remove this component. Additionally, this component might not have been included in the original installation of Visual Studio 2005.

Remove Visual Studio 2005 from the Microsoft Windows Installer cache. To do this, follow these steps:
                      a.    Click Start, click Run, type installer in the Open box, and then click OK.
                      b.    On the View menu in Windows Installer, click Details.
                      c.    Right-click the Name column header, and then click Comments.
                      d.    Right-click the cached Windows Installer file that has the Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Office System 2005 Runtime RTL x86 enu comment, and then click Uninstall.
                      e.    Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall this package.
                      Source: Remove Visual Studio 2005

Just out of curiosity, what course are you taking?

8)

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                        « Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 12:45:44 PM »
                        I'm going for my Associates degree in Web Design. The name of the course is Visual Basic.

Now I haven't done the steps provided above. LOL But I'll see what I can do. I'll edit this post when I do the following, and let you know what happens.

Update1: I went in to remove visual studio program and there's like a lot to remove... Do I want to uninstall all of it, or just the program visual studio?

The reason I'm asking is because there are several things installed since I installed Visual Studio that ties into that program.

Update 2: I think I figured out how to remove it... I guess we'll see. LOL And it seems like it may take a while to remove, ha.
                        « Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 01:02:48 PM by cj85 »

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                          « Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 01:37:16 PM »
                          Okay, uninstall has been done. This is what it says:

Next Step: Uninstall additional components

Additional components might have been installed on your computer by Visual Studio during setup. These components must be manually uninstalled using Add or Remove Programs in the order listed below.

Note: Uninstalling these components might affect other applications you have installed that rely on these components.

The following components might have been installed with Visual Studio:

Microsoft MSDN 2005 Express Edition
                          Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Runtime Language Pack
                          Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Runtime
                          Microsoft Device Emulator version 1.0
                          Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 1.0
                          Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0
                          Microsoft SQL Mobile 2005 Development Tools
                          Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 Redistributable Language Pack
                          Microsoft Document Explorer 2005 Language Pack
                          Microsoft Data Access Components 2.8 SP1 (Windows 2000 only)
                          Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 64bit Prerequisites
                          Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Remote Debugger (x64)
                          Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Remote Debugger Light (x64)

The following components might have been installed with SQL Server Express, and need to be removed in the order listed below:
                          Note: Uninstall of the SQL Express instances will leave behind the user-created databases, which can then be re-attached to the new instance.

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express CTP
                          Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Tools CTP
                          Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files
                          Microsoft SQL Native Client
                          The following components must be uninstalled last:

MSXML 6.0 Parser and SDK (only on 32bit)
                          MSXML 6.0 Parser and SDK x64 (Only on 64bit)
                          Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Language Pack
                          Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0

So what's the next step? LOL

Update: I did all of what was asked above. Now do I want to see if there are any required updates for windows?
                          « Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 02:21:28 PM by cj85 »

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 02:52:11 PM »
                          I did all of what was asked above. Now do I want to see if there are any required updates for windows?

I'm guessing you didn't use a restore point, that you manually removed the VS installation, so logically the Windows updates are still on your system. You can always visit the update site before you start the VS install and check if any updates are required for your system.

Going forward, try installing Disc 1 & 2
                          If that's successful, install SQL Server.

MSDN CD's could be duplicates. If you can, explore the discs, noting the files on each or any indication if there is such a thing as x32 & x64 bit help files.

I gotta log off right now. There is an approaching thunderstorm.

Later,
                           8)

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                            « Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 04:39:03 PM »
                            I ended up manually removing Visual Studio and then afterwards restored the computer back to a point... Why, not a clue. LOL But I did both... LOL

Now I'm updating things since they are out of date as far as my virus scanner goes and windows.

Then I will do what you asked, and will update progress in this post.

Update 1: I updated neccessary stuff, as far as windows go. I even checked to see to make sure it got all updates. It has all updates downloaded and restarted computer and what not.

Now I wasn't sure if I was supposed to install or try to install the updates that it says I need for the Visual Studio program. The Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 and Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 for Vista Windows.

Now it still gives me errors to do those just as it did before I removed Visual Studio... Keep in mind I haven't installed anything of Visual Studio yet. But this is the errors that pops up with trying to install the updates required for Visual Studio...

Visual Studio Sp1 : C:\Users\Bond\Desktop\VS80sp1-KB026601-X86-ENU.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

Visual Studio sp1 for Vista Windows: Windows Installer: The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch.

So now I'm going to go ahead and reinstall Visual Studio, keeping fingers crossed that it works and doesn't do what it did before. Otherwise, I don't know what I am going to do. lol
                            « Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 05:47:12 PM by cj85 »

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                              « Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 11:57:14 PM »
                              Good god! lol Well come to find out, there was no reason for me to do the uninstalling or restore point at all. It was Microsoft's fault.. HA HA, well not theirs but their server or whatever that holds the update files to download from. What was happening was the fact that the files I was saving to my computer were incomplete file downloads. So when I was trying to run the updates, it was giving me errors because of the fact that it wasn't a complete file. lol Like Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 is 431 MB file size, and after I noticed the size of the file that I had downloaded, it was like 101 MB. Which wasn't the whole file. I worked on this darn thing all day, lol I couldn't get the file to completely download to my computer. Then my boyfriend's brother decided to try it on the spare computer, to download the update and it worked. Why it wouldn't install on my computer is beyond me. But I'm just glad it worked. I got all three updates that were needed to run Visual Studio 2005.

Now that all this was finally done, I went ahead and did the SQL Server 64-bit like you told me. That was a bit confusing, it asked me a lot of questions so I hope I did it correctly with me not really knowing what to select and what I didn't need and what not. lol But I did it.

Anything else you think I should do at all? Let me know, and by the way thank you so much for helping me. I appreciate it big time!!! I hope the storm didn't hit you too hard.

Update: When the first disc finished doing everything, it never asked me to put in disc 2, so I took out disc 1 and went ahead and put in disc 2. I ran it, and a box popped up that was similiar to disc 1 and it just had the following:

Prepare: Review hardware and software requirements, read the release notes

Install: tools, books online, and samples only - Run the SQL Native Client Installation Wizard

Other Information: Browse this CD, Visit the SQL Server website, read the SQL server license agreement

Now when I went ahead and clicked on Run the SQL Native Client Install wizard it popped up a box with the following:

Welcome to the Microsoft SQL Server client setup

Setup helps you install, modify or remove

Options: Next, Cancel (I clicked on next)

Next Screen:

Modify - Allows users to change the way features are installed
                              Repair - Repair installation errors in the program. This option fixes missing or corrupt files, shortcuts, and registry entries.
                              Remove - Remove microsoft SQL server native client from your computer.

Options: back, next, cancel (I clicked on next)

next screen:

Feature Selection
                              Select the program feaures you want installed
                              click an icon in the following list to change how a feature is installed
                              Client Components
                              SQL Server native Client SDK

(Now I frozed here...) Because I am not sure what I want to do. I figured maybe you could help me out with that? Possibly you and I could get on a messenger for a temporary chat session, just so I am installing or doing what I am supposed to do since I've never installed this stuff before or don't even understand. Heck don't even know if I installed the first disc right. lol

Anyways, please let me know.

Again thanks for all your help!
                              « Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 12:18:33 AM by cj85 »

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 05:50:42 AM »
                              Heck don't even know if I installed the first disc right

You probably did. I only remember being prompted for the install directory and the product key.

Now how do I go about reinstalling what's on disc 2 when it's a continue disc from disc 1...

When the first disc finished doing everything, it never asked me to put in disc 2, so I took out disc 1 and went ahead and put in disc 2.

I was under the impression that during the first install, you were prompted for Disc 2 and that's when it all fell apart. Disc 2 apparently contains SQL Express:

View Error Log
                              [08/15/08,21:08:01] Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition x64: [2] Error code 1 for this component means "Incorrect function.
                              "
                              [08/15/08,21:08:01] Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition x64: [2] Component Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition x64 returned an unexpected value.
                              [08/15/08,21:08:01] Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition x64: [2] Return from system messaging: Incorrect function.

***EndOfSession***

The SQL Developer and SQL Express are two different products. They should be able to live side by side just not in the same directory.

Feature Selection
                              Select the program feaures you want installed
                              click an icon in the following list to change how a feature is installed
                              Client Components
                              SQL Server native Client SDK

This appears to be the client side (local machine) of SQL. Try following the directions by clicking an icon. At least you'll see how the feature will be installed. For now just take the defaults, based on all the prompts and windows you're getting, should be a piece of cake to change things later. ;D

A couple of things you can check. Open VS, click help, click about, click Copy Info. You can then paste that info in a post.

Open VS, click file, click projects. When the New Project window opens, you should see Visual Basic,  C#, J#, C++ in the Project Types box. You may have to open the plus signs to see all of them.

If everything checks out, the MSDN library is next. Still no clue how you're going to distinguish between the two sets of CD's.

Good thing you got an early start on this. 8)

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                « Reply #24 on: August 17, 2008, 11:24:19 AM »
                                This appears to be the client side (local machine) of SQL. Try following the directions by clicking an icon. At least you'll see how the feature will be installed. For now just take the defaults, based on all the prompts and windows you're getting, should be a piece of cake to change things later.

I ended up doing as you said, and a error happened to pop up which said:
                                Microsoft SQL Server Native Client Setup-
                                A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: E:\Setup\sqlncli_x64.msi

Not sure what is happening? Any suggestions on this part?

Now while I'm waiting for this to be fixed, lol I'll go ahead and do what you suggested and get that posted as well... I'll update it in here.

Version 8.0.50727.867  (vsvista.050727-8600)
                                Microsoft .NET Framework
                                Version 2.0.50727 SP1

Installed Edition: Professional

Microsoft Visual Basic 2005   77626-235-9250471-41401
                                Microsoft Visual Basic 2005

Microsoft Visual C# 2005   77626-235-9250471-41401
                                Microsoft Visual C# 2005

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005   77626-235-9250471-41401
                                Microsoft Visual C++ 2005

Microsoft Visual J# 2005   77626-235-9250471-41401
                                Microsoft Visual J# 2005

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005   77626-235-9250471-41401
                                Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005

Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005   77626-235-9250471-41401
                                Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005
                                Version 8.0.50727.867

Crystal Reports    AAC60-G0CSA4B-V7000AY
                                Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB926601)   
                                This service pack is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU.
                                If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be uninstalled automatically.
                                For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926601

Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU (KB932232)   
                                This Update is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU.
                                If you later install a more recent service pack, this Update will be uninstalled automatically.
                                For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932232

And when I do the new project, those languages do show up and Visual basic as well. :) Must be doing some thing right, finally!
                                « Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 11:43:11 AM by cj85 »

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2008, 04:14:47 PM »
                                Looking good. I may have lead you down the wrong path however on the SQL server.

I went ahead and did the SQL Server 64-bit

Research is giving me mixed signals:

Finally i solved the problem following the next steps:

1. Uninstall native client  using add/remove programs on control panel.
                                2.Try to install SQL Server Again.

I tried al least 3 times but at the end it works.

Thank you for the support.

About the other solutions none worked
                                Source: Soution 1

The "Installing Prerequisites" stage of the installer installs the incorrect version of the SQL Native Client. Immediately after the "Installing Prerequisites" stage (but before the rest of the installation process), follow any of the above advice to download/extract the sqlncli_x64.msi file, go to the control panel and remove the "Microsoft SQL Native Client", and then install the newly downloaded/extracted msi instead. When that's done, you should be able to go through the end of the installtion process without too much more difficulty.
                                Source: Solution 2

The disk may have a bad version of sqlncli_x64.msi. You can download a version from here
                                Solution 2 seems to be the more reasonable approach.

The bottom line is Microsoft SQL Server Native Client must be installed ahead of SQL Server. If you have SQL Server installed, use add/remove programs to get rid of it and use the downloaded sqlncli_x64.msi to continue.

Crystal Reports    AAC60-G0CSA4B-V7000AY
                                Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005

My Standard Edition didn't come with Crystal Reports. I'd be really jealous, but it was a free copy for attending their launch party. ;D

Can't wait till we get to those help files!

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                  « Reply #26 on: August 17, 2008, 05:46:04 PM »
                                  Okay, I did the following that you had told me to do. I did the simple solution 2 strategy. lol

Now am I supposed to try and run the 2nd SQL disc now? The reason I'm asking is because when I tried putting in the disc it had said that it couldn't run because there is a higher version of it on and that it would need to be uninstalled before it can go through the install process, or at least around that saying. LOL

Now what help files are you talking about? Ha ha!

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2008, 06:44:40 PM »
                                  Did you check the add/remove program applet? Was SQL Server installed? Did you have to remove it? Did you download and install a new sqlncli_x64.msi? Does the SQL Native client show as installed in add/remove programs? Please be more precise when posting what you have done.

If the SQL Native client is installed, then you should be done with the CD's labeled disc 1 & 2.

Now try, starting with SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition 64-bit CD1, installing SQL Server. Please document any error messages that appear.

Now what help files are you talking about? Ha ha!
                                  Maybe we should have installed the help first, sure could use some right now. ;)

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                    « Reply #28 on: August 17, 2008, 06:51:46 PM »
                                    Did you check the add/remove program applet? Was SQL Server installed? Did you have to remove it? Did you download and install a new sqlncli_x64.msi? Does the SQL Native client show as installed in add/remove programs? Please be more precise when posting what you have done.

Sorry about that, I'm just getting a little frustrated because if it's not one thing it's another with this program ha ha. I'm just glad your taking the time to help me out with this, I really am.

I did check the add/remove program, and it was there and I went ahead and removed SQL Server because it was installed. Then I went ahead and installed the pack that you had provided and it does show up in the add/remove programs list.

Now I'll start with SQL Server 2005 disc 1 and 2. I'll update here if I happen to get errors during this task.

Update 1: Error... If I understand correctly, you wanted me to remove the previous version of SQL server, and then install the new sqlncli_x64.msi, and then pop in SQL Server 2005 Developer 1. When I did that this error popped up:

Installation of Microsoft SQL Server Native Client failed because a higher version already exists on the machine. To proceed, uninstall the higher version and then run Microsoft SQL Server Native Client Setup again.

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2008, 07:42:04 PM »
                                    If I understand correctly, you wanted me to remove the previous version of SQL server, and then install the new sqlncli_x64.msi, and then pop in SQL Server 2005 Developer 1

That is correct, but when I read this, I get the impression that the SQL Native Client is part of the feature pack for SQL Server. To me this would require SQL Server be installed first.

See what I mean about mixed signals, some of them coming from Microsoft themselves.

Have we you tried that sequence yet? Make sure both SQL Server and SQL Native Client are not installed, then install SQL Server 1 & 2. Let's see what happens. If it does install, make note of the version level. SQL Server has SP2 available which may account for the higher version error you got.

Only 33 days till Sep 20th. With any luck we'll be done by then. 8)

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                      « Reply #30 on: August 17, 2008, 11:10:56 PM »
                                      Have we you tried that sequence yet?

Nope.

Make sure both SQL Server and SQL Native Client are not installed

Doing this now. Working on getting both SQL Server and SQL Native Client uninstalled.

Also, just so you know there are other SQL server stuff in the Add/Remove program list. But I only removed the SQL Server, and SQL Native Client. The others that I'm talking about are the following:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (64-bit) <- Do I want to remove this also?
                                      Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward compatibility
                                      Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Mobile [ENU] Developer Tools
                                      Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English)
                                      Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English)
                                      Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer
                                      SQLXML4 (This is the sqlncli_x64.msi file)

install SQL Server 1 & 2

Getting ready to put in Disc one of SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition 64-bit CD. Then putting in Disc 2 of SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition 64-bit CD.

Note: For disc one for SQL Server, it has a Product Key and when I popped in the disc it never asked me for the product key. Not sure if it asks me later or if it was supposed to ask me now. Not sure. Just thought you'd like to know this incase some thing went wrong. Also popped in disc 2, and went through with the setup and everything seems to be fine. I think?

Let's see what happens. If it does install, make note of the version level.

Not exactly sure what you mean by this. Can you possibly tell me how to go about doing this? I am not sure if I should click on things that are in the SQL Server folder in my programs folder under the start menu. LOL But all that there is for that is the following:

Folder: SQL Server 2005
                                      Inside Folder: Configuration Tools (Which is a folder)
                                      Inside that Folder:
                                      Notification Services Command Prompt
                                      SQL Server Configuration Manager
                                      SQL Server Surface Area Configurations

That's all that's in the SQL Server 2005 folder.

UPDATE: Alright, I was bugged about not being able to figure out the whole version level, which I think I found a method of doing that on the microsoft site. I used their method 2, which can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942177

Which is below as well:

Method 2:
                                      Use the MsDtsSrvr.exe file

Note The MsDtsSrvr.exe file is the SSIS service executable file.1. Open the following folder:

%programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn\  (<-- Which I took and just typed in the file name instead of doing the following)

2. Right-click the MsDtsSrvr.exe file, and then click Properties.
                                      3. In the MsDtsSrvr.exe Properties dialog box, click the Version tab.
                                      4. On the Version tab, view the text after the File version label. The text is the SSIS version number.

The version number represents the SSIS service pack level or the SSIS hotfix level.The following table lists the SSIS service pack level and the corresponding version number:Service pack level Text after the "File version" label

The release version of SSIS           9.0.1399.0
                                      SSIS with SP1                                9.0.2047.0
                                      SSIS with SP2                                9.0.3042.0

If the server is running a 64-bit version of SSIS, the MsDtsSrvr.exe file is a 64-bit file. No 32-bit version of the MsDtsSrvr.exe file exists on the server. However, other SSIS executable files and SSIS DLLs have a corresponding 32-bit version file and a 64-bit version file. For example, on a server that is running a 64-bit version of SSIS, the DTExec.exe file has a 32-bit version file and a 64-bit version file.

So, I did all that. Which is what I'm hoping you wanted me to find, lol. My version level is: 9.0.1399.0
                                      « Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 11:40:13 PM by cj85 »

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2008, 05:29:15 AM »
                                      Looking very good.  :D

Let's review:
                                      1. Visual Studio x64 is installed
                                      2. SQL Server x64 is installed

Still to do:
                                      1. SQL Native Client
                                      2. MSDN library

Check the add/remove programs if SQL Native Client is installed. It should not be, that's sqlncli_x64.msi. If by some miracle it is installed, upgrade SQL Server to SP2 (see link below) and then you're done except for the MSDN library.

Installation of Microsoft SQL Server Native Client failed because a higher version already exists on the machine

There seem to be two options: 1) run the SQL Native Client install or 2) upgrade SQL Server to SP2 then install SQL Native Client.

The version of sqlncli_x64.msi you downloaded is 9.00.1399 Your version of SQL Server is 9.0.1399.0.  Based on the versions, I would install the Native Client then you can upgrade the SQL Server to SP2

But all that there is for that is the following:

Folder: SQL Server 2005
                                      Inside Folder: Configuration Tools (Which is a folder)
                                      Inside that Folder:
                                      Notification Services Command Prompt
                                      SQL Server Configuration Manager
                                      SQL Server Surface Area Configurations

That's correct. SQL Server runs as a service, also integrates into your administrative tools (services) and (Computer Management==>SQL Server Configuration Manager). The user interface is minimal.

8)

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                        « Reply #32 on: August 18, 2008, 09:47:26 AM »
                                        Looking very good.  :D

Yay! lol

Check the add/remove programs if SQL Native Client is installed. It should not be, that's sqlncli_x64.msi. If by some miracle it is installed, upgrade SQL Server to SP2 (see link below)

Okay, for some reason I'm a little confused by what you said. But I think I understand the more I reread the above questions. But yes, SQL Native Client is installed.

There seem to be two options: 1) run the SQL Native Client install or 2) upgrade SQL Server to SP2 then install SQL Native Client.

The version of sqlncli_x64.msi you downloaded is 9.00.1399 Your version of SQL Server is 9.0.1399.0.  Based on the versions, I would install the Native Client then you can upgrade the SQL Server to SP2

Okay, doing that right now. Although, I already have this file on my computer. lol For when before I uninstalled the SQL server once before, I had already applied this patch. But I'll do it now since your way seems to be going the correct way. lol I'm listening to everything you tell me. I hope so anyway, ha.

Here's what it gave me after SP2 installation was finished.

Now after the SP2 was done downloading/installing, it gave me this:

Time: 08/18/2008 12:20:32.338
                                        KB Number: KB921896
                                        Machine: BOND-PC
                                        OS Version: Home Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)
                                        Package Language: 1033 (ENU)
                                        Package Platform: x64
                                        Package SP Level: 2
                                        Package Version: 3042
                                        Command-line parameters specified:
                                        Cluster Installation: No

**********************************************************************************
                                        Prerequisites Check & Status
                                        SQLSupport: Passed

**********************************************************************************
                                        Products Detected                         Language  Level  Patch Level       Platform  Edition
                                        Setup Support Files                       ENU                 9.00.1399.06  x64       
                                        Database Services (MSSQLSERVER)           ENU       RTM    2005.090.1399.00  x64       DEVELOPER
                                        Analysis Services (MSSQLSERVER)           ENU       RTM    2005.090.1399.00  x64       DEVELOPER
                                        Notification Services                     ENU       RTM       9.00.1399.00  x64       DEVELOPER
                                        Integration Services                      ENU       RTM       9.00.1399.00  x64       DEVELOPER
                                        SQL Server Native Client                  ENU                 9.00.1399.06  x64       
                                        SQLXML4                                   ENU                 9.00.1399.06  x64       
                                        Backward Compatibility                    ENU                    8.05.1054  x64       
                                        Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer           ENU                 9.00.1399.06  x64       

Products Disqualified & Reason
                                        Product                                   Reason

Processes Locking Files
                                        Process Name          Feature               Type          User Name                  PID

Product Installation Status
                                        Product                   : Setup Support Files
                                        Product Version (Previous): 1399
                                        Product Version (Final)   : 3042
                                        Status                    : Success
                                        Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\Redist9_Hotfix_KB921896_SqlSupport.msi.log
                                        Error Number              : 0
                                        Error Description         :
                                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                        Product                   : Database Services (MSSQLSERVER)
                                        Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB921896_sqlrun_sql.msp.log
                                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                        Product                   : Analysis Services (MSSQLSERVER)
                                        Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\OLAP9_Hotfix_KB921896_sqlrun_as.msp.log
                                        Product                   : Notification Services
                                        Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\NS9_Hotfix_KB921896_sqlrun_ns.msp.log
                                        Product                   : Integration Services
                                        Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\DTS9_Hotfix_KB921896_sqlrun_dts.msp.log
                                        Product                   : SQL Server Native Client
                                        Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\Redist9_Hotfix_KB921896_sqlncli.msi.log
                                        Product                   : SQLXML4
                                        Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\Redist9_Hotfix_KB921896_sqlxml4.msi.log
                                        Product                   : Backward Compatibility
                                        Product Version (Previous): 1054
                                        Product Version (Final)   : 2004
                                        Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\Redist9_Hotfix_KB921896_SQLServer2005_BC.msi.log
                                        Product                   : Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer
                                        Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\Redist9_Hotfix_KB921896_SqlWriter.msi.log

Summary
                                             Success
                                             Exit Code Returned: 0

Still to do:
                                        1. SQL Native Client
                                        2. MSDN library

Now I believe we are done with SQL Native Client? lol and onto another lovely part of the program. lol

Also, went ahead and checked the version level of SQL and this is what it is: 9.0.3042.0 and I checked with a previous post I posted, and it's SP2 SQL version level. :)
                                        « Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:28:59 AM by cj85 »

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2008, 11:36:45 AM »
                                        Very cool!  8)

The MSDN library should be easy. I can't find anywhere (even Microsoft) that there are different help files for x32 and x64.

I would make a set of 1 of 3, 2 of 3 and 3 of 3 of the MSDN Library discs, put 1 of 3 in the drive and install all the features (you can never have too much help)

You already installed SP1 for Visual Studio and SP2 for SQL Server which are the current service levels for these products. You're ready to start programming!

Let us know how you make out and good luck in your studies.

And to think it's still August.  8)

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                          « Reply #34 on: August 18, 2008, 12:06:26 PM »
                                          I would make a set of 1 of 3, 2 of 3 and 3 of 3 of the MSDN Library discs, put 1 of 3 in the drive and install all the features (you can never have too much help)

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by this... Do you mean to do the following:

MSDN Library for Visual Studio System - Disc 1, Disc 1
                                          MSDN Library for Visual Studio System - Disc 2, Disc 2
                                          MSDN Library for Visual Studio System - Disc 3, Disc 3

So just do one of each batch? Like above one of each is bolded, is that how you want me to do it?

Update: I went ahead and did what I said above, and it seemed to work. I believe! lol

And to think it's still August.  8)

Yeah I know, but I'm just glad that it's now done and over with. I don't have to flip out and worry about now. I'm just glad I decided to start this now, instead of waiting till the first day of school. That would have been a disaster if you ask me. lol

But I believe we're done, right? Now I'm just waiting for my school books to arrive. They are supposed to be delivered today. So i'm anxious to get a peak at my Visual Studio class books. lol

Let us know how you make out and good luck in your studies.

I am sure I will be coming back here if I ever run into any problems. lol Thanks for the good luck in the studies, I'm a bit nervous. I had one class that was for Visio program and that was one heck of a confusing class but thankfully I passed! lol But yeah. I honestly can't wait to get the book so that I can sneak peak at it and then see what I'm getting myself into ha ha.

Again, thank you so much for helping me. Unless your not finished helping me. LOL
                                          « Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 12:38:10 PM by cj85 »

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2008, 02:20:56 PM »
                                          Unless your not finished helping me

We're done! Another happy ending to put in the CH yearbook.  ;D

Good luck.

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                            « Reply #36 on: August 18, 2008, 02:40:33 PM »
                                            Alrighty! Well then, I have a proud way of saying....

This problem has been solved, and everything is working wonderfully. :)

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                              « Reply #37 on: August 18, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
                                              Ugh, does this seem right?

I received a book called Programming in Visual Basic 2008.... Does that mean Visual Basic 2008 program, or for just this year? I'm so confused!

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2008, 04:41:10 PM »
                                              I received a book called Programming in Visual Basic 2008

You mean we get to do this again?  :o

That's an interesting turn of events. There is a Visual Studio 2008 edition. When you signed up for the course, was VS 2005 the required software? If so, I wouldn't panic just yet.

If you do have to order VS 2008, there are Express (read: free) versions of the tools in VS2008. The express editions have some limitations but could get you started until you get VS2008 installed.

8)

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                « Reply #39 on: August 18, 2008, 04:48:37 PM »
                                                When you signed up for the course, was VS 2005 the required software? If so, I wouldn't panic just yet.

Yep, it said that the VS 2005 was the required program. Also I didn't select what book I wanted, they automatically pick the books you need to purchase. So I know it wasn't an error from me. lol

I have no clue, but if it is the wrong program I sure as *censored* ain't paying for the new program and I won't be looking forward to going through all this again. LOL  :'( ??? :'( ???

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2008, 05:05:05 PM »
                                                Yep, it said that the VS 2005 was the required program. Also I didn't select what book I wanted

I wouldn't worry. You installed the required version of VS and so presumably did all your classmates.

There are differences between the versions, but for the most part you can read your book, enter code in Visual Studio, and will encounter no problems.

8)

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                  « Reply #41 on: August 18, 2008, 05:18:17 PM »
                                                  Okay. :) I was like  :o when I seen the book thinking wth... lol So yeah. I went ahead and e-mailed the school and asked them about it. Like I said though, if they happen to not update the required software list and had me purchase the wrong program they will be buying it... Not me! lol

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                    « Reply #42 on: August 19, 2008, 12:25:47 PM »
                                                    There are differences between the versions, but for the most part you can read your book, enter code in Visual Studio, and will encounter no problems.

You were right, the book is compatible with the software is what the school said. :) Thanks again for your help.

tonidagher

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2008, 03:42:23 AM »
                                                    hey i have a problem in entering media control and other controls to my
                                                    toolbox
                                                    i hope that you will send me the solution

toni dagher

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2008, 05:44:52 AM »
                                                    Toni,

Click Tools==>Choose Toolbox Items. Using either the .Net tab or the COM tab, find your controls and ensure they are checked.

A word of advice:

1. You hijacked a 4 month old thread and as much as we all enjoy reading of our past exploits, it's better to start your own thread no matter how similar to others. The response will be tailored to your specific needs.

2. A simple search would have turned up this post which would have given you an immediate answer.

3. Welcome to Computer Hope.

8)

-- Albert Einstein