Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Visual Studio.NET 2005  (Read 33340 times)

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
Re: Visual Studio.NET 2005
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 05:51:35 AM »
During installing Disc 1 that you suggested, this is what was installed:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 64bit Prerequisites (x64)
Microsoft Document Explorer 2005
Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
.NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP3
.NET Compact Framework 2.0
Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 Redistributable Package
SQL Server 2005 Mobile Edition
Microsoft Device Emulator Version 1.0
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition x64
Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Remote Dubugger (x64)
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SDK (x64)

Your installation looks incomplete. Seems to be missing the program languages, VB, C#, C++, and the Web Developer.

So it wanted me to go online and install 2 things, which is Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 and Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 Update for Windows Vista....

A trip to Windows Update is in order. From a security standpoint, you need to keep your machine current. Then try installing disc 2 again.

If Disc 2 installs successfully, next up would be SQL:

1. SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition 64-bit CD1
2. SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition 64-bit CD2

I'm a bit surprised with the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition x64 installation. This may or may not create a problem with the SQL Server install. If it does you may have to uninstall the SQL Express edition before the SQL Developer install.

If you installed VS into the default path, do the same with SQL. The products are tightly integrated and your machine will know where to find the components when needed.

As for the MSDN library, best I can guess is choose one of the CD's marked MSDN Disc 1 and go from there.

Now do you think I'll ever need SQL or the MSDN for this program at all? I mean what are the purposes of those? If you don't mind me asking.

SQL Server is a Microsoft database product. If this class is to learn programming, it seems reasonable you'll learn database programming and perhaps a bit of DB administration.

The MSDN library discs are the help files.  Not only only do they offer specific help for the programming languages, but they can teach you programming techniques and offer many examples you can use directly in your code. Do not leave home without them. :D

FYI: The academic version of VS is the same as the Professional edition with a different license and a way cheaper price. If you need help, any info for the Pro version will apply to you.

Good luck.  8)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 06:46:14 AM by Sidewinder »
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 09:49:02 AM »
    A trip to Windows Update is in order. From a security standpoint, you need to keep your machine current. Then try installing disc 2 again.

Okay, now last night I ended up seeing that I needed up update for windows for the computer. So I did that, but tried to run the program and it still said compatibility issues were still there. So I'm not sure.

Now how do I go about reinstalling what's on disc 2 when it's a continue disc from disc 1... Does this mean I would have to possibly uninstall and reinstall? Because when I put in disc 2, and then go to my computer and double click on the disc icon, it doesn't do anything. So is there some thing I need to do in order to get disc to install it's content on my computer?

Thanks again.

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 12:17:24 PM »
    Most Microsoft applications make a restore point before installing the product. Your best bet would be to restore the system to before the VS install. If you did the Windows Update after the VS install, you'll have to re-do the Windows Updates. That would be the cleanest solution.

If there is no restore point, you'll need to do it manually:

Remove Visual Studio 2005 by using Add or Remove Programs
    1.   In Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs.

Note To manually open this Control Panel item, click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl in Open box, and then click OK.
    2.   In the Currently installed programs list, click Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, and then click Change/Remove. Follow the on-screen instructions to remove Microsoft Visual Studio 2005.
    3.   Note This step is optional. You do not have to remove this component. Additionally, this component might not have been included in the original installation of Visual Studio 2005.

Remove Visual Studio 2005 from the Microsoft Windows Installer cache. To do this, follow these steps:
    a.    Click Start, click Run, type installer in the Open box, and then click OK.
    b.    On the View menu in Windows Installer, click Details.
    c.    Right-click the Name column header, and then click Comments.
    d.    Right-click the cached Windows Installer file that has the Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Office System 2005 Runtime RTL x86 enu comment, and then click Uninstall.
    e.    Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall this package.
    Source: Remove Visual Studio 2005

Just out of curiosity, what course are you taking?

8)

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 12:45:44 PM »
      I'm going for my Associates degree in Web Design. The name of the course is Visual Basic.

Now I haven't done the steps provided above. LOL But I'll see what I can do. I'll edit this post when I do the following, and let you know what happens.

Update1: I went in to remove visual studio program and there's like a lot to remove... Do I want to uninstall all of it, or just the program visual studio?

The reason I'm asking is because there are several things installed since I installed Visual Studio that ties into that program.

Update 2: I think I figured out how to remove it... I guess we'll see. LOL And it seems like it may take a while to remove, ha.
      « Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 01:02:48 PM by cj85 »

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 01:37:16 PM »
        Okay, uninstall has been done. This is what it says:

Next Step: Uninstall additional components

Additional components might have been installed on your computer by Visual Studio during setup. These components must be manually uninstalled using Add or Remove Programs in the order listed below.

Note: Uninstalling these components might affect other applications you have installed that rely on these components.

The following components might have been installed with Visual Studio:

Microsoft MSDN 2005 Express Edition
        Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Runtime Language Pack
        Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Runtime
        Microsoft Device Emulator version 1.0
        Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 1.0
        Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0
        Microsoft SQL Mobile 2005 Development Tools
        Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 Redistributable Package
        Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 Redistributable Language Pack
        Microsoft Document Explorer 2005
        Microsoft Document Explorer 2005 Language Pack
        Microsoft Data Access Components 2.8 SP1 (Windows 2000 only)
        Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 64bit Prerequisites
        Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SDK (x64)
        Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Remote Debugger (x64)
        Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Remote Debugger Light (x64)

The following components might have been installed with SQL Server Express, and need to be removed in the order listed below:
        Note: Uninstall of the SQL Express instances will leave behind the user-created databases, which can then be re-attached to the new instance.

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express CTP
        Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Tools CTP
        Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files
        Microsoft SQL Native Client
        The following components must be uninstalled last:

MSXML 6.0 Parser and SDK (only on 32bit)
        MSXML 6.0 Parser and SDK x64 (Only on 64bit)
        Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Language Pack
        Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0

So what's the next step? LOL

Update: I did all of what was asked above. Now do I want to see if there are any required updates for windows?
        « Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 02:21:28 PM by cj85 »

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 02:52:11 PM »
        I did all of what was asked above. Now do I want to see if there are any required updates for windows?

I'm guessing you didn't use a restore point, that you manually removed the VS installation, so logically the Windows updates are still on your system. You can always visit the update site before you start the VS install and check if any updates are required for your system.

Going forward, try installing Disc 1 & 2
        If that's successful, install SQL Server.

MSDN CD's could be duplicates. If you can, explore the discs, noting the files on each or any indication if there is such a thing as x32 & x64 bit help files.

I gotta log off right now. There is an approaching thunderstorm.

Later,
         8)

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 04:39:03 PM »
          I ended up manually removing Visual Studio and then afterwards restored the computer back to a point... Why, not a clue. LOL But I did both... LOL

Now I'm updating things since they are out of date as far as my virus scanner goes and windows.

Then I will do what you asked, and will update progress in this post.

Update 1: I updated neccessary stuff, as far as windows go. I even checked to see to make sure it got all updates. It has all updates downloaded and restarted computer and what not.

Now I wasn't sure if I was supposed to install or try to install the updates that it says I need for the Visual Studio program. The Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 and Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 for Vista Windows.

Now it still gives me errors to do those just as it did before I removed Visual Studio... Keep in mind I haven't installed anything of Visual Studio yet. But this is the errors that pops up with trying to install the updates required for Visual Studio...

Visual Studio Sp1 : C:\Users\Bond\Desktop\VS80sp1-KB026601-X86-ENU.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

Visual Studio sp1 for Vista Windows: Windows Installer: The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch.

So now I'm going to go ahead and reinstall Visual Studio, keeping fingers crossed that it works and doesn't do what it did before. Otherwise, I don't know what I am going to do. lol
          « Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 05:47:12 PM by cj85 »

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 11:57:14 PM »
            Good god! lol Well come to find out, there was no reason for me to do the uninstalling or restore point at all. It was Microsoft's fault.. HA HA, well not theirs but their server or whatever that holds the update files to download from. What was happening was the fact that the files I was saving to my computer were incomplete file downloads. So when I was trying to run the updates, it was giving me errors because of the fact that it wasn't a complete file. lol Like Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 is 431 MB file size, and after I noticed the size of the file that I had downloaded, it was like 101 MB. Which wasn't the whole file. I worked on this darn thing all day, lol I couldn't get the file to completely download to my computer. Then my boyfriend's brother decided to try it on the spare computer, to download the update and it worked. Why it wouldn't install on my computer is beyond me. But I'm just glad it worked. I got all three updates that were needed to run Visual Studio 2005.

Now that all this was finally done, I went ahead and did the SQL Server 64-bit like you told me. That was a bit confusing, it asked me a lot of questions so I hope I did it correctly with me not really knowing what to select and what I didn't need and what not. lol But I did it.

Anything else you think I should do at all? Let me know, and by the way thank you so much for helping me. I appreciate it big time!!! I hope the storm didn't hit you too hard.

Update: When the first disc finished doing everything, it never asked me to put in disc 2, so I took out disc 1 and went ahead and put in disc 2. I ran it, and a box popped up that was similiar to disc 1 and it just had the following:

Prepare: Review hardware and software requirements, read the release notes

Install: tools, books online, and samples only - Run the SQL Native Client Installation Wizard

Other Information: Browse this CD, Visit the SQL Server website, read the SQL server license agreement

Now when I went ahead and clicked on Run the SQL Native Client Install wizard it popped up a box with the following:

Welcome to the Microsoft SQL Server client setup

Setup helps you install, modify or remove

Options: Next, Cancel (I clicked on next)

Next Screen:

Modify - Allows users to change the way features are installed
            Repair - Repair installation errors in the program. This option fixes missing or corrupt files, shortcuts, and registry entries.
            Remove - Remove microsoft SQL server native client from your computer.

Options: back, next, cancel (I clicked on next)

next screen:

Feature Selection
            Select the program feaures you want installed
            click an icon in the following list to change how a feature is installed
            Client Components
            SQL Server native Client SDK

(Now I frozed here...) Because I am not sure what I want to do. I figured maybe you could help me out with that? Possibly you and I could get on a messenger for a temporary chat session, just so I am installing or doing what I am supposed to do since I've never installed this stuff before or don't even understand. Heck don't even know if I installed the first disc right. lol

Anyways, please let me know.

Again thanks for all your help!
            « Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 12:18:33 AM by cj85 »

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 05:50:42 AM »
            Heck don't even know if I installed the first disc right

You probably did. I only remember being prompted for the install directory and the product key.

Now how do I go about reinstalling what's on disc 2 when it's a continue disc from disc 1...

When the first disc finished doing everything, it never asked me to put in disc 2, so I took out disc 1 and went ahead and put in disc 2.

I was under the impression that during the first install, you were prompted for Disc 2 and that's when it all fell apart. Disc 2 apparently contains SQL Express:

View Error Log
            [08/15/08,21:08:01] Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition x64: [2] Error code 1 for this component means "Incorrect function.
            "
            [08/15/08,21:08:01] Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition x64: [2] Component Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition x64 returned an unexpected value.
            [08/15/08,21:08:01] Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition x64: [2] Return from system messaging: Incorrect function.

***EndOfSession***

The SQL Developer and SQL Express are two different products. They should be able to live side by side just not in the same directory.

Feature Selection
            Select the program feaures you want installed
            click an icon in the following list to change how a feature is installed
            Client Components
            SQL Server native Client SDK

This appears to be the client side (local machine) of SQL. Try following the directions by clicking an icon. At least you'll see how the feature will be installed. For now just take the defaults, based on all the prompts and windows you're getting, should be a piece of cake to change things later. ;D

A couple of things you can check. Open VS, click help, click about, click Copy Info. You can then paste that info in a post.

Open VS, click file, click projects. When the New Project window opens, you should see Visual Basic,  C#, J#, C++ in the Project Types box. You may have to open the plus signs to see all of them.

If everything checks out, the MSDN library is next. Still no clue how you're going to distinguish between the two sets of CD's.

Good thing you got an early start on this. 8)

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #24 on: August 17, 2008, 11:24:19 AM »
              This appears to be the client side (local machine) of SQL. Try following the directions by clicking an icon. At least you'll see how the feature will be installed. For now just take the defaults, based on all the prompts and windows you're getting, should be a piece of cake to change things later.

I ended up doing as you said, and a error happened to pop up which said:
              Microsoft SQL Server Native Client Setup-
              A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: E:\Setup\sqlncli_x64.msi

Not sure what is happening? Any suggestions on this part?

Now while I'm waiting for this to be fixed, lol I'll go ahead and do what you suggested and get that posted as well... I'll update it in here.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
              Version 8.0.50727.867  (vsvista.050727-8600)
              Microsoft .NET Framework
              Version 2.0.50727 SP1

Installed Edition: Professional

Microsoft Visual Basic 2005   77626-235-9250471-41401
              Microsoft Visual Basic 2005

Microsoft Visual C# 2005   77626-235-9250471-41401
              Microsoft Visual C# 2005

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005   77626-235-9250471-41401
              Microsoft Visual C++ 2005

Microsoft Visual J# 2005   77626-235-9250471-41401
              Microsoft Visual J# 2005

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005   77626-235-9250471-41401
              Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005

Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005   77626-235-9250471-41401
              Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005
              Version 8.0.50727.867

Crystal Reports    AAC60-G0CSA4B-V7000AY
              Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB926601)   
              This service pack is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU.
              If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be uninstalled automatically.
              For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926601

Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU (KB932232)   
              This Update is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU.
              If you later install a more recent service pack, this Update will be uninstalled automatically.
              For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932232

And when I do the new project, those languages do show up and Visual basic as well. :) Must be doing some thing right, finally!
              « Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 11:43:11 AM by cj85 »

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2008, 04:14:47 PM »
              Looking good. I may have lead you down the wrong path however on the SQL server.

I went ahead and did the SQL Server 64-bit

Research is giving me mixed signals:

Finally i solved the problem following the next steps:

1. Uninstall native client  using add/remove programs on control panel.
              2.Try to install SQL Server Again.

I tried al least 3 times but at the end it works.

Thank you for the support.

About the other solutions none worked
              Source: Soution 1

The "Installing Prerequisites" stage of the installer installs the incorrect version of the SQL Native Client. Immediately after the "Installing Prerequisites" stage (but before the rest of the installation process), follow any of the above advice to download/extract the sqlncli_x64.msi file, go to the control panel and remove the "Microsoft SQL Native Client", and then install the newly downloaded/extracted msi instead. When that's done, you should be able to go through the end of the installtion process without too much more difficulty.
              Source: Solution 2

The disk may have a bad version of sqlncli_x64.msi. You can download a version from here
              Solution 2 seems to be the more reasonable approach.

The bottom line is Microsoft SQL Server Native Client must be installed ahead of SQL Server. If you have SQL Server installed, use add/remove programs to get rid of it and use the downloaded sqlncli_x64.msi to continue.

Crystal Reports    AAC60-G0CSA4B-V7000AY
              Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005

My Standard Edition didn't come with Crystal Reports. I'd be really jealous, but it was a free copy for attending their launch party. ;D

Can't wait till we get to those help files!

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                « Reply #26 on: August 17, 2008, 05:46:04 PM »
                Okay, I did the following that you had told me to do. I did the simple solution 2 strategy. lol

Now am I supposed to try and run the 2nd SQL disc now? The reason I'm asking is because when I tried putting in the disc it had said that it couldn't run because there is a higher version of it on and that it would need to be uninstalled before it can go through the install process, or at least around that saying. LOL

Now what help files are you talking about? Ha ha!

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2008, 06:44:40 PM »
                Did you check the add/remove program applet? Was SQL Server installed? Did you have to remove it? Did you download and install a new sqlncli_x64.msi? Does the SQL Native client show as installed in add/remove programs? Please be more precise when posting what you have done.

If the SQL Native client is installed, then you should be done with the CD's labeled disc 1 & 2.

Now try, starting with SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition 64-bit CD1, installing SQL Server. Please document any error messages that appear.

Now what help files are you talking about? Ha ha!
                Maybe we should have installed the help first, sure could use some right now. ;)

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                  « Reply #28 on: August 17, 2008, 06:51:46 PM »
                  Did you check the add/remove program applet? Was SQL Server installed? Did you have to remove it? Did you download and install a new sqlncli_x64.msi? Does the SQL Native client show as installed in add/remove programs? Please be more precise when posting what you have done.

Sorry about that, I'm just getting a little frustrated because if it's not one thing it's another with this program ha ha. I'm just glad your taking the time to help me out with this, I really am.

I did check the add/remove program, and it was there and I went ahead and removed SQL Server because it was installed. Then I went ahead and installed the pack that you had provided and it does show up in the add/remove programs list.

Now I'll start with SQL Server 2005 disc 1 and 2. I'll update here if I happen to get errors during this task.

Update 1: Error... If I understand correctly, you wanted me to remove the previous version of SQL server, and then install the new sqlncli_x64.msi, and then pop in SQL Server 2005 Developer 1. When I did that this error popped up:

Installation of Microsoft SQL Server Native Client failed because a higher version already exists on the machine. To proceed, uninstall the higher version and then run Microsoft SQL Server Native Client Setup again.

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2008, 07:42:04 PM »
                  If I understand correctly, you wanted me to remove the previous version of SQL server, and then install the new sqlncli_x64.msi, and then pop in SQL Server 2005 Developer 1

That is correct, but when I read this, I get the impression that the SQL Native Client is part of the feature pack for SQL Server. To me this would require SQL Server be installed first.

See what I mean about mixed signals, some of them coming from Microsoft themselves.

Have we you tried that sequence yet? Make sure both SQL Server and SQL Native Client are not installed, then install SQL Server 1 & 2. Let's see what happens. If it does install, make note of the version level. SQL Server has SP2 available which may account for the higher version error you got.

Only 33 days till Sep 20th. With any luck we'll be done by then. 8)

-- Albert Einstein