Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Visual Studio.NET 2005  (Read 33336 times)

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Re: Visual Studio.NET 2005
    « Reply #30 on: August 17, 2008, 11:10:56 PM »
    Have we you tried that sequence yet?

Nope.

Make sure both SQL Server and SQL Native Client are not installed

Doing this now. Working on getting both SQL Server and SQL Native Client uninstalled.

Also, just so you know there are other SQL server stuff in the Add/Remove program list. But I only removed the SQL Server, and SQL Native Client. The others that I'm talking about are the following:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (64-bit) <- Do I want to remove this also?
    Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward compatibility
    Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Mobile [ENU] Developer Tools
    Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English)
    Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English)
    Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer
    SQLXML4 (This is the sqlncli_x64.msi file)

install SQL Server 1 & 2

Getting ready to put in Disc one of SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition 64-bit CD. Then putting in Disc 2 of SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition 64-bit CD.

Note: For disc one for SQL Server, it has a Product Key and when I popped in the disc it never asked me for the product key. Not sure if it asks me later or if it was supposed to ask me now. Not sure. Just thought you'd like to know this incase some thing went wrong. Also popped in disc 2, and went through with the setup and everything seems to be fine. I think?

Let's see what happens. If it does install, make note of the version level.

Not exactly sure what you mean by this. Can you possibly tell me how to go about doing this? I am not sure if I should click on things that are in the SQL Server folder in my programs folder under the start menu. LOL But all that there is for that is the following:

Folder: SQL Server 2005
    Inside Folder: Configuration Tools (Which is a folder)
    Inside that Folder:
    Notification Services Command Prompt
    SQL Server Configuration Manager
    SQL Server Surface Area Configurations

That's all that's in the SQL Server 2005 folder.

UPDATE: Alright, I was bugged about not being able to figure out the whole version level, which I think I found a method of doing that on the microsoft site. I used their method 2, which can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942177

Which is below as well:

Method 2:
    Use the MsDtsSrvr.exe file

Note The MsDtsSrvr.exe file is the SSIS service executable file.1. Open the following folder:

%programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn\  (<-- Which I took and just typed in the file name instead of doing the following)

2. Right-click the MsDtsSrvr.exe file, and then click Properties.
    3. In the MsDtsSrvr.exe Properties dialog box, click the Version tab.
    4. On the Version tab, view the text after the File version label. The text is the SSIS version number.

The version number represents the SSIS service pack level or the SSIS hotfix level.The following table lists the SSIS service pack level and the corresponding version number:Service pack level Text after the "File version" label

The release version of SSIS           9.0.1399.0
    SSIS with SP1                                9.0.2047.0
    SSIS with SP2                                9.0.3042.0

If the server is running a 64-bit version of SSIS, the MsDtsSrvr.exe file is a 64-bit file. No 32-bit version of the MsDtsSrvr.exe file exists on the server. However, other SSIS executable files and SSIS DLLs have a corresponding 32-bit version file and a 64-bit version file. For example, on a server that is running a 64-bit version of SSIS, the DTExec.exe file has a 32-bit version file and a 64-bit version file.

So, I did all that. Which is what I'm hoping you wanted me to find, lol. My version level is: 9.0.1399.0
    « Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 11:40:13 PM by cj85 »

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #31 on: August 18, 2008, 05:29:15 AM »
    Looking very good.  :D

Let's review:
    1. Visual Studio x64 is installed
    2. SQL Server x64 is installed

Still to do:
    1. SQL Native Client
    2. MSDN library

Check the add/remove programs if SQL Native Client is installed. It should not be, that's sqlncli_x64.msi. If by some miracle it is installed, upgrade SQL Server to SP2 (see link below) and then you're done except for the MSDN library.

Installation of Microsoft SQL Server Native Client failed because a higher version already exists on the machine

There seem to be two options: 1) run the SQL Native Client install or 2) upgrade SQL Server to SP2 then install SQL Native Client.

The version of sqlncli_x64.msi you downloaded is 9.00.1399 Your version of SQL Server is 9.0.1399.0.  Based on the versions, I would install the Native Client then you can upgrade the SQL Server to SP2

But all that there is for that is the following:

Folder: SQL Server 2005
    Inside Folder: Configuration Tools (Which is a folder)
    Inside that Folder:
    Notification Services Command Prompt
    SQL Server Configuration Manager
    SQL Server Surface Area Configurations

That's correct. SQL Server runs as a service, also integrates into your administrative tools (services) and (Computer Management==>SQL Server Configuration Manager). The user interface is minimal.

8)
    The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #32 on: August 18, 2008, 09:47:26 AM »
      Looking very good.  :D

Yay! lol

Check the add/remove programs if SQL Native Client is installed. It should not be, that's sqlncli_x64.msi. If by some miracle it is installed, upgrade SQL Server to SP2 (see link below)

Okay, for some reason I'm a little confused by what you said. But I think I understand the more I reread the above questions. But yes, SQL Native Client is installed.

There seem to be two options: 1) run the SQL Native Client install or 2) upgrade SQL Server to SP2 then install SQL Native Client.

The version of sqlncli_x64.msi you downloaded is 9.00.1399 Your version of SQL Server is 9.0.1399.0.  Based on the versions, I would install the Native Client then you can upgrade the SQL Server to SP2

Okay, doing that right now. Although, I already have this file on my computer. lol For when before I uninstalled the SQL server once before, I had already applied this patch. But I'll do it now since your way seems to be going the correct way. lol I'm listening to everything you tell me. I hope so anyway, ha.

Here's what it gave me after SP2 installation was finished.

Now after the SP2 was done downloading/installing, it gave me this:

Time: 08/18/2008 12:20:32.338
      KB Number: KB921896
      Machine: BOND-PC
      OS Version: Home Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)
      Package Language: 1033 (ENU)
      Package Platform: x64
      Package SP Level: 2
      Package Version: 3042
      Command-line parameters specified:
      Cluster Installation: No

**********************************************************************************
      Prerequisites Check & Status
      SQLSupport: Passed

**********************************************************************************
      Products Detected                         Language  Level  Patch Level       Platform  Edition
      Setup Support Files                       ENU                 9.00.1399.06  x64       
      Database Services (MSSQLSERVER)           ENU       RTM    2005.090.1399.00  x64       DEVELOPER
      Analysis Services (MSSQLSERVER)           ENU       RTM    2005.090.1399.00  x64       DEVELOPER
      Notification Services                     ENU       RTM       9.00.1399.00  x64       DEVELOPER
      Integration Services                      ENU       RTM       9.00.1399.00  x64       DEVELOPER
      SQL Server Native Client                  ENU                 9.00.1399.06  x64       
      SQLXML4                                   ENU                 9.00.1399.06  x64       
      Backward Compatibility                    ENU                    8.05.1054  x64       
      Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer           ENU                 9.00.1399.06  x64       

Products Disqualified & Reason
      Product                                   Reason

Processes Locking Files
      Process Name          Feature               Type          User Name                  PID

Product Installation Status
      Product                   : Setup Support Files
      Product Version (Previous): 1399
      Product Version (Final)   : 3042
      Status                    : Success
      Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\Redist9_Hotfix_KB921896_SqlSupport.msi.log
      Error Number              : 0
      Error Description         :
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Product                   : Database Services (MSSQLSERVER)
      Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB921896_sqlrun_sql.msp.log
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Product                   : Analysis Services (MSSQLSERVER)
      Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\OLAP9_Hotfix_KB921896_sqlrun_as.msp.log
      Product                   : Notification Services
      Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\NS9_Hotfix_KB921896_sqlrun_ns.msp.log
      Product                   : Integration Services
      Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\DTS9_Hotfix_KB921896_sqlrun_dts.msp.log
      Product                   : SQL Server Native Client
      Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\Redist9_Hotfix_KB921896_sqlncli.msi.log
      Product                   : SQLXML4
      Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\Redist9_Hotfix_KB921896_sqlxml4.msi.log
      Product                   : Backward Compatibility
      Product Version (Previous): 1054
      Product Version (Final)   : 2004
      Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\Redist9_Hotfix_KB921896_SQLServer2005_BC.msi.log
      Product                   : Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer
      Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\Redist9_Hotfix_KB921896_SqlWriter.msi.log

Summary
           Success
           Exit Code Returned: 0

Still to do:
      1. SQL Native Client
      2. MSDN library

Now I believe we are done with SQL Native Client? lol and onto another lovely part of the program. lol

Also, went ahead and checked the version level of SQL and this is what it is: 9.0.3042.0 and I checked with a previous post I posted, and it's SP2 SQL version level. :)
      « Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:28:59 AM by cj85 »

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2008, 11:36:45 AM »
      Very cool!  8)

The MSDN library should be easy. I can't find anywhere (even Microsoft) that there are different help files for x32 and x64.

I would make a set of 1 of 3, 2 of 3 and 3 of 3 of the MSDN Library discs, put 1 of 3 in the drive and install all the features (you can never have too much help)

You already installed SP1 for Visual Studio and SP2 for SQL Server which are the current service levels for these products. You're ready to start programming!

Let us know how you make out and good luck in your studies.

And to think it's still August.  8)

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #34 on: August 18, 2008, 12:06:26 PM »
        I would make a set of 1 of 3, 2 of 3 and 3 of 3 of the MSDN Library discs, put 1 of 3 in the drive and install all the features (you can never have too much help)

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by this... Do you mean to do the following:

MSDN Library for Visual Studio System - Disc 1, Disc 1
        MSDN Library for Visual Studio System - Disc 2, Disc 2
        MSDN Library for Visual Studio System - Disc 3, Disc 3

So just do one of each batch? Like above one of each is bolded, is that how you want me to do it?

Update: I went ahead and did what I said above, and it seemed to work. I believe! lol

And to think it's still August.  8)

Yeah I know, but I'm just glad that it's now done and over with. I don't have to flip out and worry about now. I'm just glad I decided to start this now, instead of waiting till the first day of school. That would have been a disaster if you ask me. lol

But I believe we're done, right? Now I'm just waiting for my school books to arrive. They are supposed to be delivered today. So i'm anxious to get a peak at my Visual Studio class books. lol

Let us know how you make out and good luck in your studies.

I am sure I will be coming back here if I ever run into any problems. lol Thanks for the good luck in the studies, I'm a bit nervous. I had one class that was for Visio program and that was one heck of a confusing class but thankfully I passed! lol But yeah. I honestly can't wait to get the book so that I can sneak peak at it and then see what I'm getting myself into ha ha.

Again, thank you so much for helping me. Unless your not finished helping me. LOL
        « Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 12:38:10 PM by cj85 »

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2008, 02:20:56 PM »
        Unless your not finished helping me

We're done! Another happy ending to put in the CH yearbook.  ;D

Good luck.

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #36 on: August 18, 2008, 02:40:33 PM »
          Alrighty! Well then, I have a proud way of saying....

This problem has been solved, and everything is working wonderfully. :)

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #37 on: August 18, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
            Ugh, does this seem right?

I received a book called Programming in Visual Basic 2008.... Does that mean Visual Basic 2008 program, or for just this year? I'm so confused!

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2008, 04:41:10 PM »
            I received a book called Programming in Visual Basic 2008

You mean we get to do this again?  :o

That's an interesting turn of events. There is a Visual Studio 2008 edition. When you signed up for the course, was VS 2005 the required software? If so, I wouldn't panic just yet.

If you do have to order VS 2008, there are Express (read: free) versions of the tools in VS2008. The express editions have some limitations but could get you started until you get VS2008 installed.

8)

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #39 on: August 18, 2008, 04:48:37 PM »
              When you signed up for the course, was VS 2005 the required software? If so, I wouldn't panic just yet.

Yep, it said that the VS 2005 was the required program. Also I didn't select what book I wanted, they automatically pick the books you need to purchase. So I know it wasn't an error from me. lol

I have no clue, but if it is the wrong program I sure as *censored* ain't paying for the new program and I won't be looking forward to going through all this again. LOL  :'( ??? :'( ???

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2008, 05:05:05 PM »
              Yep, it said that the VS 2005 was the required program. Also I didn't select what book I wanted

I wouldn't worry. You installed the required version of VS and so presumably did all your classmates.

There are differences between the versions, but for the most part you can read your book, enter code in Visual Studio, and will encounter no problems.

8)

-- Albert Einstein

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                « Reply #41 on: August 18, 2008, 05:18:17 PM »
                Okay. :) I was like  :o when I seen the book thinking wth... lol So yeah. I went ahead and e-mailed the school and asked them about it. Like I said though, if they happen to not update the required software list and had me purchase the wrong program they will be buying it... Not me! lol

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
                  « Reply #42 on: August 19, 2008, 12:25:47 PM »
                  There are differences between the versions, but for the most part you can read your book, enter code in Visual Studio, and will encounter no problems.

You were right, the book is compatible with the software is what the school said. :) Thanks again for your help.

tonidagher

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2008, 03:42:23 AM »
                  hey i have a problem in entering media control and other controls to my
                  toolbox
                  i hope that you will send me the solution

toni dagher

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2008, 05:44:52 AM »
                  Toni,

Click Tools==>Choose Toolbox Items. Using either the .Net tab or the COM tab, find your controls and ensure they are checked.

A word of advice:

1. You hijacked a 4 month old thread and as much as we all enjoy reading of our past exploits, it's better to start your own thread no matter how similar to others. The response will be tailored to your specific needs.

2. A simple search would have turned up this post which would have given you an immediate answer.

3. Welcome to Computer Hope.

8)

-- Albert Einstein