Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Programmers  (Read 9053 times)

macdad-

Expert

Re: Programmers
    « Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 04:43:48 PM »
    What's with all these questions?

Is AI definable? If so what is it?
    What do you mean here?

Also, my ICT Teacher was talking about AI's before school let out and he said that it will start to become a possibility when our processor speeds start reaching as high as 10GHz.

Well the IBM Roadrunner, is runnin at 1PetaFlop. so it could probably have AI, like in T3. Terminator: "SkyNet is now self-aware, it will launch a nuclear attack to destroy its enemy in 1 hour and 46 minutes."

But if you want to see some simple AI, because proccessor speed is not really were AI will start, AI depends upon how the program is wrote, by what kind of althithograms its uses(srry for my spelling), my Lego Mindstorms robot, learns how to sort bricks through trial and error, and its proccessor speed is about 8MHz so i has a simple AI but without the speed like the Roadrunner.

You can see the video of my Learning Brick Sorter in action at youtube, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iflWlWs3ss
    If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• It's not hard to tell where MY head is at
      « Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 07:29:37 AM »
      Back then we knew we were on the cutting edge of technology. One of the engineers that i worked with used to say: When we walk through that back door ( no one ever used the front door...maybe that's a metaphor for other things? ) we walk into a computer; the whole building is a computer.
      After it was "cut over": turned over the Bell Telephone the building/computer was unmanned. Every once in awhile humans had to go there to change a light bulb at the back door, or to dust a few things.
      Drove by the building a few months ago and it looks exactly the same as it did when i worked there except the parking lot is gone.
      The best sayings that sum me up in a nut shell depends on the obvious which more often than not is obscured by the talk of the day which sounds a lot like  gnat-thing.

SEBNN

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 09:58:09 AM »
        I'm not a programmer in any sense of the word.  I am also an ME that has found that purely mechanical systems are amazing in their complexity and functionality and in their ability to be replaced by a few hundred lines of code.  Basically I try to program in order to find ways to automate the "15 year old" tasks that I am faced with.  (15 year old tasks are things that a 15 year old could do  with limited training that I find myself doing now and again rather than doing what I would call real work.)  By combining a mechanical system with an appropriate electrical systems and a program it is amazing what can be accomplished. 

Unfortunatelly this means that eventually my job will be replaced by machines, but until then it keeps the lights on.  :)

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 04:08:16 PM »
          well no machine can replace any job that involves people, such as a phycologist (srry for my spelling)

fireballs

Apprentice

• Code:Terminal
            « Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 04:15:39 PM »
            it's not your spelling that's the problem it's your phrasing...
            well no machine can replace any job that involves people

what like manual labour?? or welding bits of car together?? I understand what you mean but your sentence is rather confusing!

FB
            Next time google it.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 07:14:41 PM »
              i mean interacting with them, understanding them and all.