Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lost sound - audio device - none  (Read 3879 times)

Derek

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Lost sound - audio device - none
    « on: August 18, 2008, 09:41:46 AM »
    I don't know how I managed it, but was playing an audio CD which began jumping to the next track before finishing. Then it would not eject using the cursor on the eject symbol, nor would it eject from the tray using the tray button. Switched off, restart, tray ejects.

Now no sound. Checked speaker connections and volume control levels - all ok.

Mistakenly thinking that I threw the baby out with the bathwater last Friday in a clear out by removing Realtek AC'97, I hunt for the replacement driver. Eventually found a download without using driver sharks from Gigabyte - still had to do a body swerve even there - (it's a hand me down Titan 533 series GA-8SR533P).

So I've downloaded the 30MB driver, and open the box. Install shield wizard starts, all going well. Then stops and disappears. Tea break?
    Try again. Same result. Try again - 'access denied' - What? Try again - 'disc space on C drive insufficient, need 65MB' There's 60GB empty on there! Try again - not having it. It's like the foods in the cupboard, but I can't get it to the plate. (Clue to my level of PCmanship).

But now I'm looking for the volume icon in the task bar (after repeated searching through help processes) and it ain't there.
    Seeking through control panel to audio devices comes up with a blank window - 'No audio device'. Well, I haven't got it! It's still in the machine . . . No audio devices of any kind anywhere. Window blank - file empty.

Tried system restore several times to different check points, and am confronted with 'cannot restore to this point - no changes made'. Getting the hump now.

Clearly a driver cannot drive something that is not there. Am I looking at a failed audio card, or is there something that I've missed through configuration or a basic lack of understanding?

This is day two of frustration, and seeking advice. I'll try and answer tech questions as best I know, but it kind of looks like it's gone pop. I can still watch the videos - they still work, just the 'silent' versions though.

Gravitational damage test from upper floor imminent. Advice welcomed, though I appreciate it may be 'hardware'.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Lost sound - audio device - none
    « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 10:27:43 AM »
    Download, and install Everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
    Open it, click Computer, then Summary.
    In upper menu, go Report>Quick Report-Summary
    Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
    Don't include anything under line Debug - PCI

Derek

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 12:46:21 PM »
      Gotcha, here we are:

Version                                           EVEREST v2.20.405
          Homepage                                          http://www.lavalys.com/
          Report Type                                       Quick Report
          Computer                                          DEREK
          Generator                                         John White
          Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
          Date                                              2008-08-18
          Time                                              19:42

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
            Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
            OS Service Pack                                   Service Pack 2
            DirectX                                           4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
            Computer Name                                     DEREK
            User Name                                         John White

Motherboard:
            CPU Type                                          Intel Pentium 4, 2533 MHz (19 x 133)
            Motherboard Name                                  Gigabyte GA-8SR533P  (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio)
            Motherboard Chipset                               SiS 645
            System Memory                                     512 MB  (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
            BIOS Type                                         Award Modular (09/13/02)

Display:
            Video Adapter                                     NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440  (64 MB)
            3D Accelerator                                    nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

Multimedia:
            Audio Adapter                                     SiS 7012 Audio Device

Storage:

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 01:37:24 PM »
      According to Everest, your audio adapter is: SiS 7012
      Get a driver from here: http://www.nodevice.com/driver/SiS7012/get26303.html

Derek

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 02:15:17 PM »
        Thanks. Having problems with error 404 on the download site. The countdown completes and comes up with page not found. Will try again tomorrow.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 02:49:23 PM »
        I uploaded that file for you, here: http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=q4hbmhhdlcd

Derek

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 01:03:20 AM »
          OK, Thanks for that - now I'm lost.

I've downloaded to the desktop, extracted the files, and attempted to read/install from the XP folder.
          Nothing in there gets it installed. Much the same story with the rest. For example;
          ISDEL EXE tells me an installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll installisation;
          INST 321 exe - windows can't open file etc. choose a program/website to open.

The only change is: I now have a little speaker type icon on the task bar which if double clicked opens up the SiS 7012 audio utility (sounds promising). Two tabs; config: all options greyed out; Midi: select DLS/SF2 to open, with browse button - pick a location. Probably obvious to you - Scotch mist to me.

Should I be doing things with the run command?

PS I've just been rooting. MS Help and support. Control panel> new hardware>found RealtekAC'97 installing.
          I've led it to the desktop file wherein the realtek programs sit, and its installed the SYS file. Now seeking SM BUS controller. Can't find it - don't have a floppy or CD. All stopped.

PPS OK - looked for anything about BUS by browsing. Found BUS controllers - click> window with SiS thingy - warned not signed blah blah hit go> screen goes black - blue letters declare problem encoutered windows is closing down. Restarts - with sound re-instated - I have sound again.

Its works. I'm leaving it alone. Haven't played an audio CD yet though.

Broni - Many thanks for help - Derek

(CD plays fine  :))
          « Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 04:04:24 AM by Derek »

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 06:15:54 PM »
          I'm glad, it worked :)
          As for bus controller, download, and install chipset driver from here: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=1405