Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Finally have Service Pack 3 Now no sound  (Read 11382 times)

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Finally have Service Pack 3 Now no sound
    « Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 12:22:31 PM »
    I assume you are working a day job for absence of help and that I understand.

I am trying to uninstall SP3 as it is just notorious with errors.  Of course mine is the audio problem.  Your program was helpful in determining the information that you needed but the site you gave me was not.

I tried to restore two times hoping to get rid of SP3 but it lingers on.  I am thinking my only recourse is to reformat my computer on go back SP2.

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 05:27:40 PM »
      I tried to delete Service Pack3 but the computer would not let me "something about the system cannot find the file specified"

So, I re-formatted (what I call it) and now it is off.  But still the audio is still off.  What I do not understand is that you would think the audio drivers would be on the XP CD and just update from there.  At least that is the case with 98se.

Anyway thanks for the effort for trying to help me and I will check this thread from time to time if you have any ideas on the audio,

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 06:08:36 PM »
      I just did a little research on your computer...

It originally came with Windows Millennium Edition, so I'm assuming the XP operating system was an upgrade or a clean install....correct?

Now, from your Everest report...there are two issues.  Your motherboard has inboard sound...and there also seems to be a separate audio adapter for a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy SE.

Here's my question to you:  Are you using the inboard audio...or the Creative Audigy SE which is a separate card?

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 07:42:46 PM »
        the Creative Audigy SE which is a separate card.  Because my speakers since day 1 when my brother gave me this computer that is where I connected the speakers.  I assumed the inboard burned out and he installed the other audigy se card. I suppose I should have asked him!

My audio is working again.  I just kept doing updates and searches.

And yes it was an upgrade from Windows Millennium Edition to XP of which by brother did.  How did you know this.  Was this something that you needed to know?

Anyway SP3 has so many issues that I will wait a LONG TIME before I ever put it back on again.  I only put it on because at first my computer wouldn't let me for what ever reason and then I tried through Google and it did make it that time.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 09:06:41 PM »
        Well...

Needless to say...I'm glad you have your sound back.

If you go to HP's website and search for your particular model in their Support section, you'll find a lot of information about your particular computer...if you don't already know.  That's why I asked you for the model number.

BTW...just in case you'd like the link to your particular model number at HP, here it is:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=61317&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

I also asked you to download and run Everest...which you did...and this gave us additional info, as well...like the Audigy Sound card...among others.

If there's anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

All my best...

Steve
        « Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 10:18:21 PM by Saviour »

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 09:33:49 PM »
          Thank you Steave,

Thank you for your hard work and research for this computer.

Harry
          thefonz

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 10:19:42 PM »
          You're welcome...