Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing XP on a Vista machine  (Read 2623 times)

eta

Topic Starter

Installing XP on a Vista machine
    « on: May 19, 2008, 04:53:03 PM »
    I am trying to install XP on a Vista machine and have done so except when I try to shutdown it gets to the "Windows is shutting down" screen and the HD stops moving and it does not power down ... it doesn't lock up (mouse moves) but ctrl, alt, del does not work and the only solution is to power off using the button. ??? ???

Any suggestions?

BTW it is an Acer Extensa 5620z ... which does come with both OS so I got the drivers from Acer's site.

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
      Re: Installing XP on a Vista machine
      « Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 10:02:53 PM »
      So have you already installled Windows XP.. or do you want to install windows xp.

please put up some computer specs so that we can further help you out with your problem.... e.g operating system, memory, hdd space

cryhelp

Hopeful
      • Only the educated are free=Epictetus
        « Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 12:27:54 AM »
        So have you already installled Windows XP.. or do you want to install windows xp.

He stated he had already done so ???

Check this link:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308029
        "Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education"  Mark Twain

eta

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 04:56:15 PM »
          Thank you for taking the time to reply .. .I have figured out the problem ... it was the CrystalEye webcam driver. Once I uninstalled that driver and let XP handle it all is well.

Thanks again!

cryhelp

Hopeful
          • Only the educated are free=Epictetus
            « Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 10:14:47 PM »
            Good Job. ;D  Thanks for letting us know.
            "Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education"  Mark Twain

technonaut

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 06:53:19 PM »
            I am having this same issue with my Acer Extensa 5620Z.  If you deleted the crystaleye driver to solve the shutdown problem, how did you then get the webcam to work? 

Thank you for taking the time to reply .. .I have figured out the problem ... it was the CrystalEye webcam driver. Once I uninstalled that driver and let XP handle it all is well.

Thanks again!