Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98 user login  (Read 4441 times)

Heatherann76

Windows 98 user login
« on: March 03, 2005, 04:07:01 PM »
Is there a way to disable the cancel button/esc key feature so that it is mandatory to use the password feature on the user login screen?  I really don't want my kids to be able to access the computer without help since they are needing supervision.

Thanks in advance!
Heather

johnw

Re: Windows 98 user login
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 08:00:54 PM »
Windows 98 is weak when it comes to security. There is no easy workaround that I know of, but have you considered setting a password in the bios?  

johnw

Re: Windows 98 user login
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 09:01:37 PM »
Hello again, I thought you may need the "how to". You need to go into your computer's BIOS set-up. As the computer starts up, keep hitting the DEL key (for most systems but could also be F1, F2, F10 or ESC keys, depending on your computer and system set-up).
1) Highlight the 'Supervisor Password' option, hit enter and enter your password. You will be asked to confirm this password.
2) Then highlight the 'BIOS Features Setup' option, press enter and scroll down to the 'Security' setting. Change this from 'setup' to 'system'.
3) Exit BIOS (F10) and save the changes as you exit.
When you restart your computer, you will be prompted for your password before you even get to the 'Starting Windows....' message. Your computer is now inaccessible to anyone who does not know the password. The only way to defeat it involves opening up the case.