Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Where is my DVD drive?  (Read 3339 times)

egon

Topic Starter

Rookie

Where is my DVD drive?
    « on: August 27, 2008, 02:16:41 AM »
    Hi all, my DVD drive has suddenly disappeared from my computer, it does not show in the Device Manager either. I tried to restore the computer to the state it was week ago when it could recognize the driver, but it didn't help. Is formatting my only chance now?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Where is my DVD drive?
    « Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 02:19:27 AM »
    Well, firstly: I assume that the drive didnt physically disappear from the computer...

Secondly, what kind of computer do you have? What is the manufacturer and model number?

A newer updated version of the driver, which we can help you find, may resolve the issue.

egon

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 02:28:18 AM »
      The driver is still there physically as you presumed correctly :) just I cannot locate it in the computer in any possible way. Here is the info:
      Tulip Computers (manufacturer Nedfield)
      System model: 4xx Series
      Bios Version: Phoenix 4.06
      Model: M430E

-------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version                                           EVEREST v2.20.405
          Homepage                                          http://www.lavalys.com/
          Report Type                                       Quick Report
          Computer                                          NEW-PC
          Generator                                         ja
          Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
          Date                                              2008-08-25
          Time                                              14:55

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
            Computer Name                                     NEW-PC
            DirectX                                           4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
            Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Professional
            OS Service Pack                                   Service Pack 3
            User Name                                         ja

Motherboard:
            CPU Type                                          Mobile Intel Pentium 4M, 2200 MHz (22 x 100)
            Motherboard Name                                  Clevo 4xx Series
            Motherboard Chipset                               SiS 645DX
            System Memory                                     512 MB  (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
            BIOS Type                                         Phoenix (02/02/04)
            Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM1)
            Communication Port                                ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
            Video Adapter                                     ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (Omega 3.8.442)  (64 MB)
            Video Adapter                                     ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (Omega 3.8.442)  (64 MB)
            3D Accelerator                                    ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (M9)
            Monitor                                           Generic Television

Multimedia:
            Audio Adapter                                     SiS 7012 Audio Device

Storage:
            IDE Controller                                    SiS PCI IDE Controller
            Floppy Drive                                      Floppy disk drive
            Disk Drive                                        ST94011A  (40 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
            SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

Partitions:
            C: (NTFS)                                         38146 MB (34178 MB free)

Input:
            Keyboard                                          Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
            Mouse                                             PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
            Network Adapter                                   Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC  (192.168.1.105)
            Modem                                             Smart Link 56K Voice Modem

Peripherals:
            USB1 Controller                                   SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
            USB1 Controller                                   SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
            USB2 Controller                                   SiS 7002 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
            USB Device                                        USB Device
            Battery                                           Microsoft AC Adapter
            Battery                                           Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

mcxeb52!

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 04:39:47 PM »
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Microsoft's Support on the problem you have  or the problem I think you have.

Although I have windows Vista, doing Microsoft's solution did work for me  when I had that issue of not being able to access the drives :)

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 05:00:56 PM »
      The cable might be loose. Open the case and make sure you have a good tight connection. Make sure you ground yourself before touching any of the internal components.
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

merlin

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 05:18:23 PM »
        egon
        Topic
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Hi all, my DVD drive has suddenly disappeared from my computer, it does not show in the Device Manager either. I tried to restore the computer to the state it was week ago when it could recognize the driver, but it didn't help. Is formatting my only chance now?

Have you altered the ........

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 08:38:21 PM »
        You can also try...

Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
        You'll see two items:
        - ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
        - ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
        Right click on each of them, and click Uninstal. Confirm.
        Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

egon

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 12:29:36 PM »
          Thanks, I tried uninstalling and it installed it again, but it still does not work. What is even better, now I cannot open that bloody drive physically. No light comes, nothing. Can the conection gets loose even if you do not touch this device? ( I am struggling with opening that bloody thing) :-[

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 12:34:39 PM »
          Yes.
          One of the first things you should have checked is the connections...
          As always when working inside the case remove all power sources and take anti-static precautions...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "