Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: If it isn't a bad motherboard or graphics card, what is the problem?  (Read 11846 times)

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hello,
     I'm running XP and had a problem when the computer would not boot up, just a black screen, no keyboard, no nothing. Took it into a new computer fix-it guy, old place closed up, and he replaced the mother board, with a new Biostar one and told me I needed a new graphics card. I'm using 2 monitors, not gaming, just PhotoShop. I bought a new graphics card from Compusa and installed it and black screen! If I unplug the new card, the computer will work fine. The first computer guy said, " That's the same problem I had!" and wants me to bring it back, but they're closed for the weekend till Weds. What do I need to do?
     Rich

xavier

Re: If it isn't a bad motherboard or graphics card, what is the problem?
    « Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 04:19:51 PM »
    could be a bad slot in motherboard

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 07:18:13 PM »
      I don't think it's a slot/connector problem because it happened with the old motherboard before it was replaced.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 08:07:05 PM »
      Ask for a replacement vid card...i've seen them dead out of the box.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 01:07:34 PM »
        I'll take the card back to Compusa for a test, but this would be the second bad board. The initial board that I had started with the same problem and then the computer tech replaced the mother board and now the new card doesn't work either.

homer

Expert
          « Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 02:25:40 PM »
          does the new video card require a supplementary power hook up? if you dont know, what is the make/model of your new video card?

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 05:45:28 PM »
            Homer,
             There is a power supply connector plug, that I plugged in from a unused cable from the new beefed up power supply.
            The new card is a Visiontek Radeon X 1650 Pro. the old card is a Sapphire Radeon X 1600 Pro card. The only difference is the old card has a smaller power supply connector. They look almost identical to me.

mikee17

Rookie
              « Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 08:29:02 PM »
              Most Mo-Bo's carry a Aux Power connector next to the CPU, if you do not have that then its a possibility that the card and or Mo-Bo are pulling to much current causing it to over heat and short out.....then again i may be wrong.

homer

Expert
                « Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 02:59:12 AM »
                Most Mo-Bo's carry a Aux Power connector next to the CPU, if you do not have that then its a possibility that the card and or Mo-Bo are pulling to much current causing it to over heat and short out.....then again i may be wrong.

OP please disregard this advice.

ok, Big Rich, would you please make a list of all your computer components so we know what we are dealing with here?

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 09:19:16 AM »
                  Homer,
                   What components do you need, give me a list, and remember, I'm not a computer guy, just a photographer!

www.richfrancophotography.com

Rich

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 07:35:34 AM »
                    DoooooH! Homer,
                     Here's some of the stuff you asked for and let me know what I left out.
                    Biostar Mo-Bo, model M7VIG4, Socket A
                    2 GB of ram
                    IMicro power,supply model LC-8400BTX
                    Amd 1.35 GHZ processor
                    and the second graphics card is a VisionTek ATI Radeon 1650.

I'm thinking the original problem, which was supposedly solved by my computer guy, was to replace the original mother board with this Biostar board. This didn't solve the problem. BOTH mo-bo's have the same result when I plug in the video card on the mo-bo, the computer doesn't boot up, just a dark screen. Then when I use the video on the mo-bo to run the monitor, it works great(after I unplug the graphics card from the slot).
                    I think I now have 2 mo-bos that work and 2 video cards that work, but a separate problem somewhere else in the system,
                    Rich

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    • Experience: Beginner
                    « Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 07:39:15 AM »
                    What make and wattage is the PSU ? ?
                    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 12:41:13 PM »
                      The label on the side says" 400w max" I tried to find the model number on the internet, but no luck for a IMicro LC-8400 BTX power supply. This is an upgrade from the original one that was built 2-3 years ago. I hate to take it back to the computer guy, because IF I right, the problem was not the mo-bo he replaced and my old graphics card isn't bad either, but he'll have to eat the cost of the work he did so far,
                       Rich

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 09:28:19 AM »
                        Update info.
                         I'm getting a black screen when the computer first boots up and a message that says" warning, system had reset due to over-clock setting

Please re-enter CPU sttings in the Cmos set-up and remember to save before quit"

Is this somehow related to the Graphics card-mo-bo problem? What does this mean?
                        Help!
                        Rich

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 08:55:53 AM »
                          Hellooooo? Anyone there? Do I need to get more info?
                           Rich