Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: If it isn't a bad motherboard or graphics card, what is the problem?  (Read 11847 times)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: If it isn't a bad motherboard or graphics card, what is the problem?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 09:56:54 AM »
Have you overclocked at all?

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 10:01:07 AM »
    I don't know what overclocked means. I'm a photographer, I'm simple!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 11:08:10 AM »
    OK, no problem.
    Press the key indicated to enter the BIOS, and choose the option to reset it to optimal settings.
    Save the settings and exit the BIOS.
    Does that help?

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 11:22:50 AM »
      Hello,
       before I reset the settings on the bios, what should this solve, what should I see change/fix?
       Rich

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 11:30:46 AM »
      Well, basically the error message you are getting is saying that the CPU settings in the BIOS are wrong.
      You could go and change the settings one by one if you want, but it may be easier to just reset the BIOS to default.

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 11:35:22 AM »
        I tried doing this and this what came up
         F8 enable system config
         F9 Select booting device after post
         F1 to continue
         Del to enter setup

The F 8 and 9 buttons didn't work, nothing happened when I pushed them. I didn't get to the DEL button, because F1 did work and opened up. Which one is the bios?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 11:38:33 AM »
        Delete.

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 11:58:54 AM »
          Calum,
           Thank you, this did take care of the black screen message. Now, what do you think of my original problem? 

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 12:03:29 PM »
          Sounds to me like a bad power supply.
          It's not exactly a good brand, seems to be made by Enermax.
          If the computer shop was wrong, it's their fault, and they should test each component.  Really, they should have fixed it and you shouldn't even need this thread here - just stating a fact, not complaining or anything.  If they made a mistake, they should eat the cost of their work - I would do and have done when I made a mistake.

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 12:10:12 PM »
            Is this something I can run over to Compusa and buy and install myself? What brand and wattage would you suggest? And how much snould a power supply cost?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 12:17:21 PM »
            From CompUSA, I'd recommend this.
            It's not too pricey, provides ample power, and is a good brand.
            If you wanted to spend a little bit more for some extra upgrade headroom, get this - I have one and it's great.
            I'm assuming their range in store is the same as online, anyway, I don't know because I'm in England.

PSUs aren't too difficult to install - just turn the PC off, take out the power cable, open it up, remove all power cables, unscrew the old PSU and take it out, then insert the new PSU, plug in the cables, and screw it in.  It's fairly easy.
            However, I feel that the computer shop should cover this.  You asked them to fix your problem - they haven't fixed it but they have charged you, right?  They've got your money, and you're going out and spending even more to fix the problem they were supposed to have fixed in the first place.

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 12:27:46 PM »
              Thanks again. I'll get the 430 watt psu to start with. I'm not doing any gaming, just some photoshop. Should I take the old power supply with me to Compusa? Can it be tested?

I'll keep you posted,
               Rich

www.richfrancophotography.com

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 12:34:46 PM »
              It could be tested, but I don't think there's any point taking it with you - if the new one fixes the issue, the old one is dead.  If not, then there's something else at fault.

rockerest

Hopeful
                • Yes
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 12:42:39 PM »
              Maybe I'm way off here, but if the MOBO graphics work but GPU graphics don't...I've had a similar problem where the MOBO simply isn't switching the graphics output to the new card.  When the new card is plugged in, can you swap the monitor cable to the motherboard output and get a display?

Believe it or not, I've actually had to tell the computer to use my graphics card manually.  Just a thought.

-rock
              In general, the PEBKAC.  Whether it's now or was three weeks ago, the PEBKAC.
              Unsafe browsing and general computer / internet illiteracy IS the users problem.  Don't have sex if you don't know how to use a condom.
              Also, there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 12:53:57 PM »
                Rock,
                 When the new graphics card is plugged in, I just get a blank screen. My second monitor only has a DVI cable connection and the new mobo doesn't. How do you manually tell the computer to use another video card? monitor?
                 I'm off to Compusa and getting a Power Supply just in case. Then I'll go back to the original computer guy and raise Cain!
                 Rich