Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Powershot camera, screen resolution conflict  (Read 3121 times)

boredbody

Topic Starter

Rookie

Powershot camera, screen resolution conflict
    « on: August 28, 2008, 11:14:31 AM »
    Today's my 20th birthday, and as a gift my parents got me my first "real" digital camera a powershot A590 IS. The problem I'm having is that my computer is an old gateway solo 5300 running windows XP 8gb of memory there's a conflict somewhere from when it was updated from windows 98 that doesn't allow me to change the screen resolution from the lowest possible resolution, but the software CD that comes with my new camera requires at least 1024x for the software to even install, if I wanted this camera only for still pictures that wouldn't be an issue, but the fact is one of the greatest features is that it also takes video! This is the first time in my life I've been able to take video and I actually need to send a video to a dog behavorist because I'm dealing with some pretty serious stuff which is why I was over the moon about having this camera but because of the conflict I can't download or even view the video on the camera, except on the camera. What I'm looking for is a software, or suggestion on how I can use my computer and figure out a back door so I don't have to use Canon's software, or so I can use it anyways. I've already been round-about with Gateway and microsoph several months ago about the screen resolution thing and gave up after several weeks. I already called tech support and tho my computer fits the tech requirements in every other way but screen resolution they refused to help me other than "go buy a new computer" which isn't an option for me. Thanks.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Powershot camera, screen resolution conflict
    « Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 11:21:37 AM »
    DLoad and update and install your video drivers,,,
    If you don't know what they are install Everest Home and run a report...
    Save it to a text file and Post the Computer Summary section here...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

boredbody

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 12:24:06 PM »
      sorry it took so long - here's the everest summary:

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version                                           EVEREST v2.20.405
          Homepage                                          http://www.lavalys.com/
          Report Type                                       Quick Report
          Computer                                          LAPTOP
          Generator                                         Tiffany
          Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
          Date                                              2008-08-30
          Time                                              13:22

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
            Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Professional
            OS Service Pack                                   Service Pack 2
            DirectX                                           4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
            Computer Name                                     LAPTOP
            User Name                                         Tiffany

Motherboard:
            CPU Type                                          Mobile Intel Pentium IIIE, 700 MHz (7 x 100)
            Motherboard Name                                  Gateway Solo5300
            Motherboard Chipset                               Intel 82440BX/ZX
            System Memory                                     128 MB  (PC100 SDRAM)
            BIOS Type                                         Phoenix (01/31/01)
            Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM1)
            Communication Port                                ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
            Video Adapter                                     S3 Graphics Savage/IX  (8 MB)
            Video Adapter                                     S3 Graphics Savage/IX  (8 MB)
            3D Accelerator                                    S3 Savage/IX+MV
            Monitor                                           Digital Flat Panel (800x600)
            Monitor                                           Generic Television

Multimedia:
            Audio Adapter                                     ESS Technology Maestro-3.COMM AudioDrive

Storage:
            IDE Controller                                    Intel(R) 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
            Floppy Drive                                      Floppy disk drive
            Disk Drive                                        TOSHIBA MK1017GAP  (10 GB, 4200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/66)
            Optical Drive                                     SAMSUNG CD-ROM SN-124  (24x CD-ROM)
            SMART Hard Disks Status                           FAIL

Partitions:
            C: (NTFS)                                         9590 MB (1374 MB free)

Input:
            Keyboard                                          Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
            Mouse                                             PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
            Network Adapter                                   USB Cable Modem 351000  (209.33.110.117)
            Modem                                             Lucent Win Modem

Peripherals:
            USB1 Controller                                   Intel 82371AB/EB PIIX4 - USB Host Controller
            USB1 Controller                                   VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
            USB1 Controller                                   VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
            USB2 Controller                                   VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
            USB Device                                        USB Cable Modem 351000 #2
            Battery                                           Microsoft AC Adapter
            Battery                                           Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
            Battery                                           Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 01:08:25 PM »
      That's a laptop computer, right? You have a marginal system there for running Win XP.  You only have 128MB of RAM and 8MB of video memory.  You'd notice a big improvement in performance if you could add more memory.  I'd also access the BIOS and see whether you can increase the amount of memory allocated to your video/display adapter.  If you increase it, try going up to the next step, which might be 16MB, and see whether that allows you to set your screen resolution to 1024 x 768. 

re: your software question, take a look at something Windows XP already has, called Windows Movie Maker, and see whether it would let you view the videos from your camera.  Windows Media Player might be another option.

boredbody

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 04:02:09 AM »
        thanks, checking bios stuff scares the living daylights outta me but I managed but it didn't help.

The problem is that my laptop recognises that what's on the camera are video files, but they've got a "." extension. On the disk that came with the computer I can access several different files including what I think are driver files but I don't know how helpful they might be, I tried windows media and movie maker and neither were able to do anything with the video but I was wondering if I downloaded the drivers on the disk if that would help? I'm way over my head here, sorry if that doesn't make sense.