Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: works 4.0 to works 9.0  (Read 3478 times)

kennyscuda

Topic Starter

Starter

works 4.0 to works 9.0
    « on: September 07, 2008, 02:47:49 PM »
    I have a old computer with Windows 95 and Works 4.0. I need to copy  the files in Works 4.0 to a new computer with Vista and Works 9.0. I have copied the files and put them on the new computer, but it will not open the files. What do I need to to open them?  These files are Works word processor.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: works 4.0 to works 9.0
    « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 03:13:14 PM »
    Is the file name extension for Works 4.0 .wps?  When you have Works 9.0 open and try to open one of the old files from the File, Open, menu on Works 9.0, can you select one of the old files for opening?  What happens if you try to open one?

kennyscuda

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 04:01:05 PM »
      Yes, they are work wps files. When I try to open any file I get a message that says can't open because file is not compatable or corrupted.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 04:24:25 PM »
      Do you still have your old computer with Windows 95 and Works 4.0?  If so, try saving a file a different format, such as RTF; the file name extension would be .rtf.  Then, copy it to your new computer and try to open it in Works 9.0.

kennyscuda

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 06:18:36 PM »
        I do still have the old computer and I will try it . The computers are at work and I will try it in the morning, thanks  I'll let you know.