Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD-ROM not recognized  (Read 5001 times)

woody361

CD-ROM not recognized
« on: March 09, 2005, 08:18:10 PM »
I have Window's XP Home.  I have been using this for about a year, all of a sudden my computer does not see the D drive.  I have tried reloading the driver, no help.  I tried replacing the ribbon cable from the CD-ROM to the mother board, no help. I replaced the CD-ROM with another I know works, no help.  When I look at the hardware manager I see the CD-ROM with a yellow explaination point.  I tried deleting the Driver and rebooting allowing the plug and play to reinstall driver, no help.  Any information I can get would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
Woody1

nellyred

Re: CD-ROM not recognized
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 08:49:46 PM »
 Usually, when the device manager has that exclamation point it is usually a driver problem. Have you tried going into the bios and seeing if it even recognizes a drive in there. You may have burnt the IDE controller on the motherboard. I am having the same problem with my dvd drive. Check out the posts under "unrecognized drive in bios". I got some good responses that may help you out too.

woody361

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 09:31:39 PM »
When I deleted the driver in the device manager, and I rebooted the computer, the plug and play did see the drive and loaded the correct driver.  There is still no D drive listed in "My Computer."  If the bios didn't see the drive would plug and play still try to install the driver?
Craig

nellyred

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 09:51:01 PM »
The bios recognizes it if it is displayed on one of your startup screens. Have you tried the add or remove hardware, it wouldn't let me do this with my dvd player and the device manager didn't even show there was any drive there whatsoever. We both seem to be having a very similar problem. And I'm out of ideas on this one. sorry, post back if you find anyhting else out. Neil

woody361

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 11:25:11 PM »
Thank you Neil, I appreciate the information and I will indeed post back if and when I find a solution?

Craig

reign

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 12:27:12 AM »
you can try doing system restore in safe mode, maybe that could help ;)