Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Flash BIOS  (Read 2704 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

Flash BIOS
    « on: October 08, 2008, 10:35:11 AM »
    Is there really any dangers to flashing your bios other then power interuption.  I was thinking about doing this on a older machine.  I have three that are a like but mite get rid of the one.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Saviour

Re: Flash BIOS
    « Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 10:46:18 AM »
    Hardware incompatibilities is another problem you may have.

Always backup your current version before the flash...in case you do experience issues.

Here's a good read:  http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/1901p186id34771.htm

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 10:50:16 AM »
      Howd you do thad?
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Saviour

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 11:03:44 AM »
      If you're referring to how do you backup your old BIOS...

Most vendor BIOS flashes provide you the option of backing your old BIOS up before you actually flash to the newer version.  Make doubly sure this is a provided option by the BIOS vendor.  If it isn't, I would strongly recommend not flashing the BIOS at all...just in case the upgrade causes incompatibilities.

Another thing to keep in mind...

If the system board, with all of its attached hardware, is functioning properly...then there really is no need to update the BIOS at all.  It should only be done as a last resort to solve incompatibilities with on board or external hardware.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 01:16:51 PM »
      Also, never use "Custom" BIOS from other companies besides the one that made your motherboard.
      These will most often cause more problems than ones that are provided directly by your manufacturer...

Many BIOS updaters come with a Floppy or CD Boot... it may be a good idea to use these if your Windows Operating System is unstable.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 05:33:51 AM »
        the machine I want is too old to have that stuff, not sure but will look into a few other things I want to check just wondered.