Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux on floppies for old pc  (Read 24269 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Linux on floppies for old pc
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2008, 04:39:51 PM »
A 540 Mb mid 1990s hard drive, if it spins up at all (if the lube hasn't all dried up) is not going to have much life expectancy. I would have thought.

I still have two 50MB drives, and they work fine. I had an older giant looking Western Digital from around '87, but I decided to rip it open to see it's insides. Then I ran it through a USB enclosure with the cover open. Good times.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Dias de verano

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2008, 12:18:20 AM »

But! Microsoft has released DOS 6.22 for free:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=96cc3197-b7e5-4b31-badb-ddaac771295f&displaylang=en

It hasn't, as I already pointed out.

The link you gave leads to MS-DOS 6.2 Step-Up. It is for 6.0 Users Only. (MS-DOS Step-Up differs from Upgrade in that it is limited to earlier 6x versions only and contains file updates not complete copies of application files other than IO.SYS & MSDOS.SYS)

I wrote this in my previous post but you ignored it:

Quote from: Me,, earlier
I know about the 6.22 upgrade available for free download, but that requires an existing 6.22 installation.

I got the version numbers wrong, and I didn't then appreciate the difference beteen step-up and upgrade, but the essence is true. The only thing Microsoft has "released" is a 6.2 (not 6.22) step-up for legal 6.0 owners.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 10:26:15 AM by Dias de verano »

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2008, 05:30:53 AM »
    yeah, its experimental stuff, that also gives me an idea but I think I ruled the drive to be dead.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #48 on: September 23, 2008, 05:56:21 AM »
    Great...so now what do we do ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2008, 06:14:29 AM »
      we wait till I put the other one together an what else was recommened.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Dias de verano

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2008, 10:27:01 AM »
      When I said it was a "thought experiment" I meant I didn't think anything would actually happen.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2008, 10:26:43 AM »
        It works an everything just needed an os

Dias de verano

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2008, 10:45:33 AM »
        It works an everything just needed an os

For want of an 'os(s) the kingdom was lost

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2008, 10:58:33 AM »
           ???  Any how I'm going to put dos 6 on the one ect....

Dias de verano

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2008, 11:31:01 AM »
          ??? 

For want of a nail the horsehoe was lost,
          For want of a shoe the horse ('oss") was lost,
          For want of a horse the battle was lost,
          For want of a battle the war was lost,
          For want of a war the kingdom was lost.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2008, 02:56:19 PM »
            well its not working I have to get a new copy of the linux os zip an I dont think that dos will fit on the floppy.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #56 on: September 24, 2008, 03:40:29 PM »
            DOS normally comes on several floppies. They are labelled sequentially, from 1 to the number of floppies in the set. In addition, the installation procedure requires that these floppies be used in order, using the first one to start a "SETUP" program, and waiting until the program requests the next disk. At this time, the disk present in the drive will be removed, and replaced with the next disk in the set. A key will be pressed to indicate to the setup program that the disk has been inserted, at which point it will continue copying files until the next disk.

In short: you can make a basic DOS boot disk with one floppy, but it's necessary to use several to install the whole OS on a computer. Ideally, of course, using the installation program. (for DOS versions 4 and higher)
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2008, 03:58:03 PM »
              Oh yeah, well I dont no how to do that...  ??? ::)

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
                • Yes
                • Technology News and Information
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #58 on: September 24, 2008, 06:28:30 PM »

But! Microsoft has released DOS 6.22 for free:
              http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=96cc3197-b7e5-4b31-badb-ddaac771295f&displaylang=en

It hasn't, as I already pointed out.

The link you gave leads to MS-DOS 6.2 Step-Up. It is for 6.0 Users Only. (MS-DOS Step-Up differs from Upgrade in that it is limited to earlier 6x versions only and contains file updates not complete copies of application files other than IO.SYS & MSDOS.SYS)
              Ah, okay. I see now

I wrote this in my previous post but you ignored it:

Quote from: Me,, earlier
              I know about the 6.22 upgrade available for free download, but that requires an existing 6.22 installation.
              Didnt ignore it, I just didnt understand fully what you meant. I get what you said now

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2008, 09:50:04 AM »
                That dont tell me how....