Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "modem question by StickyR  (Read 8261 times)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

"modem question by StickyR
    « on: September 15, 2008, 02:11:17 PM »
    My problem (very minor) is that a post to which i contributed (microsoft windows "modem question" by StickyR) continues to be displayed in my "new replies to your posts". Regardless of how many times i enter that browse it is always there whereas normally with all others once going to the post it will not be there next time.It is the last post by Broni that is always the reason for the existance of the advisory. Is it possible that it is because of the author's handle "StickyR" that it is remaining?  ;D truenorth

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: "modem question by StickyR
    « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 07:45:07 PM »
    That's on purpose, so you'll always remember my name...LOL

Seriously...did you try to unsubcribe from that topic?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 07:58:36 PM »
    If any of the posts were edited it will show as unread...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 08:00:06 PM »
    I didn't do it  :P

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 06:59:37 AM »
      Hey guys. I see the heavy hitters are on board.Broni no i have not tried to "unsubscribe" unless that is clicking on "mark as read " does that.I can now add more mysterious behavior to my CH interaction which i think does reflect some kind of a problem.
      1.A new post (in fact this one which i originated) does not appear in "my recent posts" always has in the past.
      2.The 3 posts (2 by Broni and 1 by Patio) do not appear in "replies to your posts".This has never happened before.
      3. Just in case there is some relevance the only thing i note which is new and not related to my CH activity is that now i am getting (most of the time) a window opening whenever i go to an online function such as MSN or hotmail indicating a security certificate query.Following that through from the security window indicates that the security certificate is either expired or is not yet valid???????? These are sites i have been going to daily and never had this problem until the CH issues arose.Coincident to this (maybe a factor) i had updates from windows update. I have it set for user decision.I downloaded all the recent updates (3 i think).However i did not allow SP3 as i am still resisting that as i have observed users having problems after downloading that update. The mystery deepens,truenorth

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 11:21:48 AM »
        Update,The post by Broni that was locked in "new replies,etc" is now gone. I have no idea why it is gone. I did not do anything since my last post to try and delete it. What i did do was go to another computer (both on xp) to have a look see. On that computer Broni's was not there and 2 more recent ones were.I read the posts and after each one it was removed from the "new replies" as had always been the case. In addition to the info i included in my previous post i have discovered another issue. I can no longer sign in to my windows messenger account on the original computer. I can sign in on the 2ND one (same account name and password). On the 1st one the message i get is that the service is not available try again later etc,etc. It provides an option in the window to check on the status of the service. Indicates the service is operational.Checking on my windows messenger version it show it to be 5.1 (above the 5.0 that could be causing a problem). I was about to do a system restore when i realized i had just downloaded some large .AVI files yesterday and felt if i did a restore i would probably lose them so i did not do it. So i don't know if the "new replies" problem i was having is in any way related to my messenger issue. I am still getting the security alert when i go to my hotmail account. truenorth

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 05:23:46 PM »
        the security certificate is either expired or is not yet valid
        See, if your computer date is correct.

i have not tried to "unsubscribe" unless that is clicking on "mark as read " does that
        No, through your profile>Notification and email

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 05:37:05 PM »
          Broni, This is almost like one of those "is it plugged in' situations. Your amazing! It would never have occurred to me to "Check the computer date". So even though i have rushed to give you the news i am certain that will correct things. Mt time of day is correct (except it is AM and should be PM). The year however is 2000. Off to make the correction. Thanks again.truenorth
          P.S. As expected ALL issues now resolved. No security warnings--can connect to messenger no problem --and issues in "new replies---" all have ceased.

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 06:41:53 PM »
          Nice :)