Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adjusting color monitor to gray-scale/monochrome  (Read 5477 times)

Fr._Allesio

Adjusting color monitor to gray-scale/monochrome
« on: March 11, 2005, 02:22:51 PM »
My eyes are very sensitive to color from the color monitors.  Is there a software that adjusts color monitors so that they display in black & white or monochrome or gray-scale.

I think I've exhausted all the options, mentioned below, in Microsoft Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 & Microsoft Internet Exlporer 6.0 Update Version SP2 to minimize color, which has helped somewhat,  but have not been able to turn the color off completely.

1. Window's Control Panel > Display > Appearance > Color Scheme & Advanced & Desktop > Color settings.  And also in Explorer using Tools > Internet Options > General > Colors.

2. Changed the settings under Display > Settings > Advanced > Adapter > List All Modes > "640 x 480, 16 Colors, Default Refresh",.but the resolution is too large.

If this can not be done with software, do you know of another way of accomplishing this besides changing the color settings on the monitor itself, i.e. special monitor, video card or converter?

Thank you,
Patrick

Corrosive

Re: Adjusting color monitor to gray-scale/monochro
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 04:23:30 PM »
If your graphics card has a TV-OUT socket on it, you can plug an ordinary TV into it and use the settings on that. Or just use a black and white TV, I guess.

Bar that, I can't be of much help. Interesting problem though - I'll have a look around.

Grizzled Geezer

Re: Adjusting color monitor to gray-scale/monochro
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 06:07:45 AM »
I think I know what you want, but you're not expressing yourself clearly.

Am I correct in understanding that the white and gray areas of an image don't look pure white or gray to you, but have a color tinge?

If so, there are several ways to change the balance. One is to choose a different color temperature. Your monitor should have settings for this. Mine gives a choice of 9300, 6500, or 5000 degrees Kelvin. There's a fourth "custom" position that lets you set red, green, and blue levels separately.

The other approach is to rip open the monitor and perform a "gray-scale tracking" adjustment. I don't have time to explain how this is done, but just about any '60s book on color-TV servicing should get you started.