Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firefox streaming  (Read 5813 times)

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Firefox streaming
« on: September 16, 2008, 08:35:59 PM »
This could fit in 'Web Design' and also 'other' perhaps.

Anyways - an exhaustive search thru Google has yet to satisfy me as to a real solution - nothing I found here either.

So - problem - streaming thru IE is fine - but as seems so common - Firefox just will not cut it - I presume as it has no ActiveX component.  Right now am using code below for successful results in IE ... but - anyone got any bright ideas to get a WMV to play in FF?  Any quick fix way to get FF users to pull down what is needed?  Lots of info out there but to me - seemingly no real solution.

Code entry removed due to scrolling - see post #3 for attached file.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 09:54:37 AM by ChrisXPPro »
Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
Re: Firefox streaming
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 09:25:55 PM »
What is not streaming in FF?
Could you also attach that code, instead of pasting it? Right now, I have to scroll half a mile to the right to see the end of your post.

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 09:53:28 AM »
Sorry Broni - the dreaded horizontal scroll huh.!  :D  I forget I am on 1680 width!

Have put that in a text file attached.

The .wmv will not stream in FF - in fact no player box comes up ..... not entirely surprising considering the activeX aspect.  This seems a common problem but not one where I have seen a definitive solution, even after considerable searching.

[recovering disk space -- attachment deleted by admin]

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 06:57:13 PM »
Can you post a sample link, where it doesn't work?

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 08:28:39 PM »
OK - this is one of the sites I have to work on for someone ..... the page that does OK in IE is .....

http://www.takeyourmoneyback.com/basefile/tymb-wmv-full.htm

Try that in FF and here anyways - not even a player showing.  Gotta be an ActiveX deal - and as I said earlier - this seems a very common FF problem.  This is BTW a backup - just in case folks can't use the YouTube version linked to.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 08:41:55 PM »
It plays here.
Make sure, you have Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin: http://port25.technet.com/pages/windows-media-player-firefox-plugin-download.aspx installed.
Type "about:plugins" in your address bar, you should see an entry for Microsoft Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin (File name: np-mswmp.dll)
If its there, download installation file again, close Firefox, and run the file. Select "Reapir" option.

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 08:50:48 PM »
Hmm - well thx for checking - the dilemma however is - it's not my FF I am interested in - it's all the folks who may use it and want to view the vid.  Right now it seems safer to point to IE only.

I have tho downloaded that file and will try it - plus I guess I could point others to it .. but leaving that aside - gotta reckon that most FF users will possibly not want to add anything.

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 08:54:15 PM »
gotta reckon that most FF users will possibly not want to add anything.
This doesn't make sense. IE has plug-ins, too. FF plugins are safer, since they don't use ActiveX.
Also, the above video plays as well in FF's IE tab.

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 09:14:18 PM »
What I meant Broni was - we have to assume that many browser users only want to have something come up automatically in their basic bare-bones browser.

You and I and others here - will happily use FF in ''IE mode" or download a plugin ... but there are many out there who will not or cannot do a darned thing to aid their browsing experience.  So - this is directed at ''them'' out there who might want to view that vid.

Can you see where I am comin from? 

The guy I work for thinks I am talkin ''techy'' if I mention even the word ''folder'' - and it seems there are others around who have zero ability or inclination to adapt their platforms. 

This was my point. 

I have no automatic means in the code right now that will play the .WMV in FF .. if it is basic FF.  I was looking to see if there was any way to embed that ''fooled'' FF and achieved a successful result without the need for the user to do anything!

Yeah - I am a cynic when it comes to many web users!!  :D

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 09:21:11 PM »
Can you see where I am comin from? 
Partially yes, partially no.
Bare bone IE won't do everything, you want. To do some things, you need plugins, and add-ons.
Same with everything. You can use Wordpad, but if you want something better, you install Office. 

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 09:34:25 AM »
This is hard to get across - don't think we are on same page yet!   ;)

Let me try one more shot.  Thx for patience!

So - WMV file on server - available for folks either as download or streaming.  Streaming is fine in IE but not in FF.  Knowing what many folks are like who might visit the site, it is unlikely that many at all will have plug-ins for FF if that's their browser choice - they just want things to work!  So they will get zilch in FF and move on.

Therefore, right now the embed code works fine in IE but not in FF and to avoid having to give FF users any special instructions such as 'download Firefox media player plug-in' ...... my quest is to see if the embed code can be in any way tweaked to make streaming function in a base level FF.

I rather doubt this is possible judging by my fairly exhaustive searches but - still wondering none the less.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 05:35:16 PM »
Chris
Let's put it this way.
If someone buys a computer, and one wants to use it as is, fine. One's computer power will be just limited.
If someone wants little bit more out of one's computer, he/she has to keep computer updated. That includes plugins.
Secondly, Firefox works in different way, than IE.
IE comes with bunch of stuff, you like, or not. You can't even uninstall anything.
Firefox comes as a base. You want to make it better, you have tons of choices. That why, I like Firefox.
Besides WMP is M$ application, and it took quiet a battle to force M$ to issue .wmv plugin. It couldn't be done without M$ approval.

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 06:18:42 PM »
Thx Broni - I am with you totally - particularly re the MSoft angle.

Remember, this is not for me and my own IE and FF (I keep FF a tad basic for test purposes - so it reflects what many "ordinary" folks might have, as against many of us here who add all useful stuff).  I want sometimes to simulate what the uninitiated out there might get functionally.

This whole problem is directed at ''them'' out there - the seemingly so many computer illiterate folks who barely know how to drag and drop, let alone store their files sensibly!!  Try to get them to fetch a useful download and apply it ... well, might as well ask them for their genetic code!!

It has become apparent over time, not only the site I pointed you at, but also others I manage - that Joe Sixpack wants immediate gratification with no effort or attempt to upgrade his system or add useful plugins.  it is because of this that I seek a way to pre-empt a problem by perhaps a code fix.

Anyways - thx for your feedback - always appreciated dude.  :)

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 06:48:34 PM »
Any time :)