Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How can I transfer data in Zotero (firefox add-on) from one comp to another?  (Read 6187 times)

Drd

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Hello: I use Firefox and have the Zotero addon, which is used for researching articles. It takes screen shots, and also records a list of references, the names of the author, and any notes that I want to keep about what I've read. I have done a lot of research and have recorded it in Zotero. It's all on my laptop and I'd like to transfer it to my PC.  Is this possible?

Thanks.

Dr .D.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Try going to your program file folder on your HD (i.e. C:\Programs)... And go to the Firefox folder.

Can you find a folder called "Zoreto"? If you can, copy it the folder to a flash drive/blank CD, and then copy it to the same folder on the other PC.

Now download the addon for Firefox (on the second PC), and all the info should be there...

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    In the past, I just copied the entire Firefox Folder:
    C:\documents and settings\username\Application Data\Firefox

Drd

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Thank you gentlemen. I will try that. I'm wrenching my  laptop away from my son tonight and I'll give it a go. I will definitely keep you posted as to whether it worked or not. Thanks so much for all the  help.

In peace, Dr. D.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      All right, Good Luck!

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      In the past, I just copied the entire Firefox Folder:
      C:\documents and settings\username\Application Data\Firefox

Does it work? But it won't insert/change the registry in any way, or insert the program into the start menu etc...

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      You would have to install the program, and then replace the existing Application Data with the one copied from the other computer.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      Gotcha... ;D

Drd

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Gentlemen: I now have my long lost laptop before me. I've gone to program files, mozilla firefox, but I can't find Zotero there. I looked in the general folder, and also in the subfolders, such as modules, plugins, components etc., but I can't find it! Can you help me find the file so I can copy it and try to put it into my new PC?
         Thanks!

P.S. I guess I need to open a new forum topic on this one, but while you're here...I'm also trying to get my address book from one comp to the other. May I ask you--I've found the old one, copied it, and written it into a CD. And I checked the CD to make sure it's actually there, and it is. Then, I put the CD into my new PC and it comes up with a blank. It just says"Insert CD", and when I click on properties of the two CD drives, it shows no disc. What can I do about that, or where on the forums should I go to ask? Thanks!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        For Firefox:

Computer 1: Copy C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
        Computer 2: Paste to C:\Program Files

Computer 1: Copy C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Firefox
        Computer 2: Paste C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data

Drd

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: How can I transfer data in Zotero (firefox add-on) from one comp to another?
          « Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 09:20:24 PM »
          Hello: First let me tell you that I already did have Firefox installed on my new computer. I was just looking for how to get my Zotero info in there, all the references that I had in the other one, I wanted to bring to the new one.

Now, let me say that I don't have an "Application" folder in my Documents and Settings folder, or anywhere on C. Should I look somewhere else for it, or what?

Thanks.

Dr. d.

Drd

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: How can I transfer data in Zotero (firefox add-on) from one comp to another?
            « Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 11:35:37 PM »
            Whew! I did it! I didn't/couldn't do it the way you said, so I did it "the hard way." That is, I went to the Zotero program on my old laptop, clicked the little wheel that says "Actions" and chose, Export Library.  A whole bunch of files were exported to a file on my laptop. I copied that onto an external memory chip and plugged the chip into my new PC. For some reason, I couldn't copy it, I kept getting messages while it was copying so we gave up on that.  Instead, I used the chip and read all the folders, about a hundred of them probably, each referring to one of the references.  Inside each folder was one file with a firefox emblem, excuse me, icon. That was the key file. I clicked on that and the reference I wanted popped up in my new computer in the Zotero section. Then, I saved it to Zotero, just as if I had taken it from the internet or something, took a "Zotero picture", and then went onto the same file. It took about an hour, and I'm sure there is a better way out there somewhere, but anyway, this did work.
             So, thanks for being there and giving all the support along the way. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my .wab file from my old compie onto the new one, but that's on another thread somewhere, I think!

Many thanks to all.

Dr. D.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 04:35:07 AM »
            Glad you got it working.  ;)