Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Slows Down  (Read 4019 times)

jhb1

Windows Slows Down
« on: September 20, 2008, 01:24:33 PM »
I had a computer for over 15 years now and never in my life had this problem at all and i am stunned on this. I have formated the hard drive and done a fresh install everytime and i have used Fisk and ran virus scans and everything else and no good. When i start to down files and say i have 8 files to download at once i can get to the third one fine and after that i click on the forth file and it just sets there for about 2-3 minutes before you can click on download and when you do it takes over 2 minutes before after clicking on download to start up and maximize the window. It was running find until a little over three weeks ago and then this happen. can anyone please tell me what could happen or what is causing this?  I have 384mb's of memory on here and running Windows XP Pro and i just need this to stop. HELP!

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Windows Slows Down
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 03:33:15 PM »
What browser? IE is limited by default to two simultaneous downloads.
I'd also get more RAM for your computer.

jhb1

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 04:00:57 PM »
I'm using IE6 and like i said above this just started happening a few weeks ago and before that i could download over 100 or more downloads at once but something happen but really what i do not know. I went over to my son't home today and got on his computer and logon to my account and took 24 links and pasted them on his computer and he has only 256 mb's of memory and i went thru them all with no trouble at all. Even when i start downloading 3 files and try to bring up notepadwhere it shows my links it takes at lease 30-45 seconds before it will popup so i can get the links and when you are downloading more than 3 and you click on the favorites it take a long time for them to show and when it gets down too 3 files downloading things are ok. like i said it just started three weeks ago and also it does the same thing when i tried to use firefox so that didn't help. Thanks for your trouble in tring to help and tonight i'm going to get three 256 sticks of memory and take out the old and put them in here and see if it will help.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 04:07:49 PM »
Download HijackThis:
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download
Click on Download HijackThis Installer
Post HijackTHis log.

jhb1

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 08:27:09 AM »
Someone told me about that on a forum i post files at and it didn't work, thanks
Also i did not put this in the first post cause if you have a house full of grandchildren everyday you would forget but when i first posted about that problem i forgot to say this also and this was the first time this happen to me when i formated and used fdisk. I use fdisk first and then formatted my HD and then when installing windows xp i let it format my HD also and before doing all this i have files in my recycle bin and after both formattings this computer has and after the install of xp i can open up the recycle bin and the same files are still there as if i never deleted or formatted anything and i have built three computers in my life from the bottom up and done other peoples computers also and never in my life had this kind of trouble except a little over three weeks now and no virus scanners shows up any viruses or spyware on this computer so i think this computer is a jinks.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 08:38:50 AM »
I use fdisk first and then formatted my HD and then when installing windows xp i let it format my HD also and before doing all this i have files in my recycle bin and after both formattings this computer has and after the install of xp i can open up the recycle bin and the same files are still there as if i never deleted or formatted anything

This is impossible...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 08:41:39 AM »
I use fdisk first and then formatted my HD and then when installing windows xp i let it format my HD also and before doing all this i have files in my recycle bin and after both formattings this computer has and after the install of xp i can open up the recycle bin and the same files are still there as if i never deleted or formatted anything

This is impossible...

Second Opinion: I agree. It's impossible.

Assuming this is true, I would like to know what was in the recycling bin?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 10:07:43 AM »
Someone told me about that on a forum i post files at and it didn't work, thanks

If you don't cooperate with our requests we really can't help you... Hijackthis is a tool that can be used to get relevant information from a computer, and determine how to proceed, not a tool used in and of itself to fix the problem.

Third opinion: impossible. Sounds more like an upgrade or automated repair as opposed to a reinstall.

Don't see what purpose fdisk would serve in a Windows XP setting, since that's on older windows versions. which can be upgraded. to XP.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

jhb1

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 10:12:35 AM »
It is the truth. I had avi and text files in the recycle bin when i used fdisk and formated my HD and then when i installed xp and it came up to either leave it like it is or format the HD full or quick so i did a full format and it show when i got back to the dos that i had an empty HD but after installing windows xp and the recycle bin is the only thing there and i open it up and the files are still there and yes that does seem strange to me but it started when this other thing started and i do not know where you are but if you were here i would fill up my recycle bin and run fdisk and format my HD in front of you and do an install and open up the bin and the files will be there and yes it makes me mad and wondering what is going on. If this stuff wasn't happening i would not ask for help on this from anyone. Acomputer tech learned me from all the steps to put a computer together and install software back in 1980 for three months but i do know one thing as i just though of i hate to say and i'm a writter and i'm writting a life story of myself about a few girls i use to know cause i moved into the place a big problem happen back in 74 right in this same house and i had to have this place and that's why i put jinks in my wording but this is the truth and i just wish i could show people what i mean so they don't think i'm lying about it just to post something but you just don't know me at all and i don't know you. thanks for you tring to help me but i'm going this week and take this computer to a shop and spend over 100 bucks and let them do a reinstall on this computer and have files in the recycle bin before they start and then i will see. jhb1

jhb1

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 10:16:07 AM »
No this isn't an upgrade cause i bought this cd at officemax at the cost of 159.95 without tax and it's the full ver of XP.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 10:21:09 AM »
I just thought of something... does this computer have multiple hard drives?

jhb1

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 02:25:50 PM »
Yes i have two hard drives on here but the slave doesn't have windows installed at all on it. I just use it to place all my work and stuff on there.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 06:07:03 PM »
Depending on how you originally set it up some versions of Windows place a Recycle Bin on each drive...
How much do you know about file management/partitions etc. ? ?
You may very well have been looking at the other drive at the time because under the scenario you described the Recycle Bin and anything else would have been gone and not survived 2 consecutive wipes...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 01:41:14 AM »
He left us?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 09:17:57 AM »
lol, we found the problem too. when you open the recycle bin it will show all the deleted files on both drives. Even after a format and reinstall, the deleted files from the other drives will show up.

So his "ghost" was merely a file system fioble.