Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ipod Notes Limit, .txt to ipod file?  (Read 12313 times)

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computers, you love and you hate them...
    Ipod Notes Limit, .txt to ipod file?
    « on: September 27, 2008, 08:02:42 AM »
    Hello,

I've got another topic about a hdd that i'll get back to shortly, but a question about this first.

As I'm sure we all know there's the 1000 notes limit on an ipod. I have reached the point of that being a problem now. However, i noticed something interesting: I've actually got 1024 files in there, all readable. The thing with this as well is that i used one of those automatic converters for some of the files so that they were within 4kb. Those files don't appear as .txt files, they just appear as "File", and although i can open them on my ipod i can't on my computer. These files account for 31 of the notes on my ipod.

So, i was wondering if this was a way around the 1000 note limit?
    Or is it a glitch, or a mistake, or something like that. Don't just answer though, has anyone tried this out?

Thanks

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Ipod Notes Limit, .txt to ipod file?
    « Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 08:51:17 AM »
    I can't answer your question about the 1000 character limit (from experience), but I'm guessing it just has to do with the basic text viewing program they've put on the iPod, and that it might've been made to only handle 1000 characters as they didn't think most people would need more than that.  Regardless, that's all speculation.

As far as not being able to view the files on your computer, it's probably just that your computer doesn't know what program to open them in because the extension (.txt or whatever) has been removed from the name.  Try renaming the file to name.txt (obviously fill in name with whatever you had it named).

Kystien

Re: Ipod Notes Limit, .txt to ipod file?
    « Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 06:53:18 AM »
    Hey bud, easy way to read Ebooks on the Ipod with out all those stupid restrictions is this.
    Open outlook on your computer, Create a new contact, Set the Name and file name to the Book you are adding in there. then copy all the text from the txt file ebook to the Notes area in the contact. File --> Save the contact then file --> Export to vCard File --> Select your ipod --> contacts --> Save here
    Now eject the ipod, and go and view your contacts.

Bingo buddy! you now have a Ebook on your Ipod without any character restrictions and no need to be flipping through all those pages. The only real downfall of this is that it isnt seperated in pages, there for if you switch to your music and back again, your place you were at is gone and you gotta find. But if you are a Avid it shouldnt be a problem to find your spot again.

Peace Out!
    Kystien