Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Serious Mistake Trying To Install Driver Update..Can It Be Rescued?  (Read 3374 times)

mwpsongs

Topic Starter

Greetings Hopers,
    I am very new to this PC world, and am very inexperienced in dealing with these issues, but I'm hoping someone may be able to assist me with my dilemma.
    I have a PackardBell Imedia PC running XP, and i've been attempting to install an update to my Nvidia GeForce4 MX440 driver.
    I found the download, then placed this .exe into my download folder.
    I then went to ADD/REMOVE and deleted the existing Nvidia Driver.
    I was prompted to restart my computer for the remove to take effect.
    This was clearly a howling boo-boo. Upon rebooting, (I did this in Safe Mode), the screen remains blank. Clearly this is because there is no driver to display the graphics. However, I know what the path is to the exe file (in the download folder). Is there any way that I can open this exe while having no visible screen? Am I in serious doo-doo land?
    I took a look at the menu option that said "safe mode with command", but it asked for an administrator password. This PC is over 5 years old, and whatever password (if any) was chosen at that time, is now lost to me. Certainly the obvious ones i tried failed gloriously.
    So, no password, but I still would like to know if i can activate that exe without my graphics driver?
    I apologise in advance if this problem seems hopelessly amatuerish. I'm keen to learn, but was just not aware that there was "an order" in which to remove the original driver to replace with the newer update.

Your advice is greatfully appreciated,
    Many thanks,
    MWP. :'(

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Serious Mistake Trying To Install Driver Update..Can It Be Rescued?
    « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 09:28:56 PM »
    When prompted for the password try just hittin Enter and see if it let's you in...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mwpsongs

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 02:28:42 AM »
      I tried hitting ENTER at the password, and it still resorted to "failed after 3 attempts..push ENTER to reboot".

I should mention that I am going into the safe mode with command prompt and then into the Recovery Console. I assume the recovery console is where i want to be based in order to enter the path file to the relevant exe?

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
        • Obituary
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 04:12:02 AM »
      Do you have onboard graphics and a add on sound card?
      Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.