Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer siezes during startup  (Read 1854 times)

LadyXV1000

Computer siezes during startup
« on: October 11, 2008, 10:17:01 AM »
I have an older Sony Vaio pcv lx 800 that was recently retired from my office for unreliability. I figured I would take a shot at repairing it for my son who is 4, to keep him out of my machine ( also a vaio - I am a big Sony fan)

I took home the machine and took it apart and blew all the dust out of it - there was a lot. I took apart the power supply and paid special attention to its fan, which after a good cleaning no longer made that horrible whirring noise. I reinstalled the operating system. It fired up fine - no trouble at all, the first few times, and then started having problems. What finally winds up happening is that I get a blue background screen ( not the blue screen of death, just a nice turquoise splash) and sometimes an error message saying improper shutdown detected - checking disks - but the little disk icon on the screen doesn't move like it should. Sometimes I also get the Macaffe virus protection logo. So I sit in front of this for a while and then try a Control-alt-delete. It lists a couple of applications, including mgrsrv which invariably is not responding. I have already replaced the hard drive. It booted perfect the first few times and then the same problem started in again.

I have tried disconnecting the cd drive, and moving the memory to the other slot, and while it may start up once, startup is still completely unreliable.

The computer never has trouble once it is up and running. I did manage to get it to lock up last night trying to do several things at once, but for the most part, once it is going it is every bit as strong as my machine.

Any thoughts?