Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Last 'Titanic' survivor sells mementoes to pay for care  (Read 3339 times)

ilikemycomputer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• http://halescomputerservice.com/phpBB/index.php
    Last 'Titanic' survivor sells mementoes to pay for care
    « on: October 17, 2008, 07:34:32 PM »
    LONDON (AFP) — The last remaining survivor of the Titanic disaster is auctioning mementoes from the doomed liner to pay for her nursing home fees, a newspaper said Thursday.

Millvina Dean was only two months old when the Titanic struck an iceberg on its maiden voyage and sank in 1912, but now at the age of 96 she is struggling to make ends meet and hopes to make 3,000 pounds (3,845 euros, 5,171 dollars) from the sale.

Personal items going under the hammer include a 100-year-old suitcase filled with clothes given to her family by the people of New York after they arrived there following the catastrophe.

READ MORE:
    http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gYJdQYAcANRWsdWCqpqnr_SMbY5A

Mods, please forgive me for my language.. but, what the *censored* is wrong with people these days!? This woman has lived through the titanic, World War I, World War II, and people are still trying to squeeze money out of her?! Now why hasn't somebody wealthy stepped up and done the responsible thing by writing her a check to help her out n her last few years on earth...? That just goes to show the way this world is today  >:(

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Last 'Titanic' survivor sells mementoes to pay for care
    « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 11:43:57 PM »
    Mods, please forgive me for my language.. but, what the h**l is wrong with people these days!? This woman has lived through the titanic, World War I, World War II, and people are still trying to squeeze money out of her?! Now why hasn't somebody wealthy stepped up and done the responsible thing by writing her a check to help her out n her last few years on earth...? That just goes to show the way this world is today

I was thinking along the same lines in the moments between finishing the article, and going on to your observations! 

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Last 'Titanic' survivor sells mementoes to pay for care
    « Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 03:41:20 AM »
    I consider her a UK Icon.We have the same problems in the USA.

If the UK government is going to waste money,and waste it will,
    I wonder why a government official hasn't already fixed this problem.
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.