Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: home network  (Read 13756 times)

lavender

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    home network
    « on: October 12, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
    i have a wireless network working very well at home..i need to be able to share files between the computers connected to that network without having to install any new hardware of cables in the computers

senthilvalli

Intermediate

Re: home network
      « Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 05:29:47 AM »

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 12:25:23 AM »
      All right -- so you're looking to see if you can set up a Local Area Network?

I did an internet search, and came up with results HERE.  Some of them are tutorials and how - to sites.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

IT boy

Starter

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 02:26:54 AM »
        i need to be able to share files between the computers connected to that network without having to install any new hardware of cables in the computers
        [/quote]

Yes you can do this by move your files into sharing folder.To enable the files and folder sharing in Windows XP Professional 2000 and Windows 2000 do the following.

1. Right Click on the folder name you want to share.
        2. Click on the properties.
        3. Click Sharing.
        4. Click on Share this computer on the network.
        5. Assign a shared computer name.

You can set the sharing rights for the users and also control the shared folder access by allowing and denying permissions to specific users or groups. If you want to share the individual files, you can put the files in the same shared folder. All the files and folders in the parent shared folder will be automatically shared

kula

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 08:16:20 PM »
          Also, if you didnt want to use sharing folder, you can make specific folder to be shared, even its in different partition. Just enable file sharing for the particular folder. You can also use map network drive to a shared drive(guess it fasten the transfer rate maybe). :D

lavender

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            « Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 08:18:44 AM »
            actually am looking for using shared folder but that way didnt work for me...i tried to make a groupwork but then it asked to make a network setup disk and i dont have a floppy drive so i tried to put a usb disk and didnt work

hagstrompro

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 09:17:47 PM »
              Is there a file sharing options in your network settings? Just a thought.

lavender

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                « Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 01:19:27 AM »
                not sure of what option u r talking about?

i assigned a workgroup and created a file with a sharing option

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 07:16:57 AM »
                  lavender, are all the computers on the network on the same workgroup?   
                  *In Windows XP: Start -> right click My Computer -> properties -> click the Computer Name tab

If not, make it so.   ;D
                  Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

lavender

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                    « Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 07:51:07 AM »
                     ::) >:( :o
                    ive read that i should have a setup network floppy disk and i dont have a floppy drive...so i think i cant set the workgroup after all

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 08:01:17 AM »
                      You don't need a network floppy to set up a workgroup. 

lavender

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                        « Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 08:21:56 AM »
                        Ok can you direct me to where i can find help in how to set a workgroup in both xp and vista

Saviour

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 08:25:40 AM »

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 08:26:30 AM »
                          for vista try here

lavender

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                            « Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 09:02:49 AM »
                            i get this

i think it suppose to be like this

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 09:24:22 AM »
                              You probably have to have administrative access to the sytem to change the workgroup.  Also, what version of Vista are you using (Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate)?

lavender

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                                « Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 09:31:56 AM »
                                i am a new vista user ...i know pretty little about most of the operations so plz be patient  ;)

i have adminstrator access to both my network and all the computers using the network

Saviour

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 09:36:32 AM »
                                Your computer name and workgroup can be anything you want to name them...

Just make sure you remember the names...so you may want to write them down.

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 09:37:23 AM »
                                  "The name of this computer has been changed.  You must restart this computer for the name change to take effect before you can change its domain membership." 

I saw the workgroup field was greyed out and jumped to a conclusion.  You have to reboot your computer after changing the name.  After that you should be able to change the workgroup.

lavender

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                                    « Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 09:40:19 AM »
                                     ;D

i did restart my computer...its just the picture i took before i really did

one thing to add, i use a wireless network does it make any difference !

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 09:46:53 AM »
                                      Oh, OK.  Well, you have Windows Vista Home Premium.  Home versions can't join a Domain, so you only have the workgroup option. 

(I see you have a Fujitsu T8300.  How do you like it?  I have an old S-2110 that I'm still quite fond of.)

lavender

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                                        « Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 09:57:37 AM »
                                        Oh, OK.  Well, you have Windows Vista Home Premium.  Home versions can't join a Domain, so you only have the workgroup option. 

(I see you have a Fujitsu T8300.  How do you like it?  I have an old S-2110 that I'm still quite fond of.)

its fine..i like it but i'll like it even more when i add up some more ram

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 10:38:17 AM »
                                          What workgroup are the other computers on? 

lavender

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                                            « Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 10:47:48 AM »
                                            they both have the same group name...

its easier to set an adhoc network but i also dont know where to put the shared files

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
                                              I'm a little fuzzy with Vista.  I skipped it and went to Server 2008. :-) 

Anyway . . . Go to the Control Panel and look at Network and Sharing Center.  Which features are turned on there?

lavender

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                                                « Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 11:05:46 AM »
                                                all accept for media sharing

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 12:26:27 PM »
                                                  Is that on just the Fujitsu or both computers?  I guess I don't know - what operating system is on the second computer?

lavender

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                                                    « Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 01:45:28 PM »
                                                    the other one runs xp.. so far, i can see the workgroup in the xp and cant connect...in the vista, i dont even see the computer

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2008, 03:46:13 PM »
                                                      You'll need Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) installed on your XP machine along with a pile of other minor irritants that need to be resolved before they will share with each other.  Read about the other irritants here.

lavender

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                                                        « Reply #29 on: October 24, 2008, 04:29:07 AM »
                                                        i already have LLTD but vista still cant see the xp

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2008, 05:34:42 AM »
                                                          Have you opened ports 137-139 on both firewalls, and changed Vista to recognize the NTVLM1 networking protocol in the registry? 
                                                          See here.

lavender

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                                                            « Reply #31 on: October 28, 2008, 10:28:16 AM »
                                                            so as most of you said

I downloaded LLTD for XP
                                                            opened ports 137-139 on both firewalls
                                                            changed Vista to recognize the NTVLM1 networking protocol in the registry..

none worked..maybe i should have mentioned that i have SP3 installed on XP
                                                            « Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 10:42:57 AM by lavender »