Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WIRELESS CONNECTION PROBLEMS  (Read 2709 times)

gputer

WIRELESS CONNECTION PROBLEMS
« on: October 12, 2008, 06:07:10 PM »
I have two ways to get to the internet. I am connected to Hughesnet satellite for high speed and am now able to connect via a wifi system located on the next property (I have their permission to connect). I plan to stop with hughesnet since I can use the wifi for free. Up until yesterday I could use both but for reasons unknown to me I am unable to get hooked up with the wifi. I am using a cantenna with a usb system which has allowed my computer to receive the wifi signal without having to get a card installed.  When I disable the hughesnet connection and try to enable the wifi, I see that it is trying to acquire the IP address without success no matter how long I let it try. On the page for the network connections, I can see an address when connected to hughesnet, but only zeros when it is trying to acquire the address for wifi. Any ideas as to if this is a thing with my computer or is it the wifi system that is not sending the address?  The status page shows a strong 54Mbps signal. Being the weekend I have not been able to talk to anyone next door to see if  they are having any problems on their wireless computers.  I friend who knows computers quite well came over but could not get things going. Any help is welcomed