Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop gone slightly insane...  (Read 1914 times)

hopefularcher

Topic Starter

Laptop gone slightly insane...
    « on: October 15, 2008, 07:18:59 AM »
    Hope this is the right section of the board as I'm not sure where the problem lies.

Got a HP G5000 Laptop with vista. Had it for just over a year. In the last few days it has started turning off without warning, not completely - Just looks like its gone to sleep, black screen, lights still on. But it then needs turning off and then on to restart. Can happen 10 seconds after logging on, or 10 minutes. Has a mind of its own, and the programmes opened while all is well don't seem to affect it.
    It doesn't start up normally after this, says theres been an error. Gives option to restart in safe mode, but the problem still occurs even then. Sometimes it says it will try to solve the problem but freezes or the screen goes crazy, statics lines and patterns everywhere.

This started a couple of days after my charger exploded which I'd blamed on the dodgy electrics of a new house, charger now doesnt work and I have a new one ordered. Could this have something to do with the problem?

Hope this makes sense, thanks a million in advance.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Laptop gone slightly insane...
    « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 09:44:56 AM »
    Yes. The failure of the charger may be related to another problem.  :'(
    You computer may have a lot of dust inside of it. This prevents air to move and heat builds up. The problems you have sound like heat problems.
    Get a can of air and blow out the dust. You may have to open it up to get it all. Don't drop the screws!  8)

hopefularcher

Topic Starter

Re: Laptop gone slightly insane...
      « Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 10:28:07 AM »
      Thanks for that, makes sense as it might take 10 minutes to shut the 1st time, 5 the next etc. So it would already be heated up.
      I took the keys off about a  month ago to clean it as it was filthy so I wouldn't be suprised if the insides were as well, just not sure if I'd be brave enough to attempt it myself!