Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows updates: Are they necessary?  (Read 2741 times)

Drd

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Windows updates: Are they necessary?
    « on: October 15, 2008, 04:46:21 AM »
    Hello: Like many people, I have my "update automatically" button turned on for Windows. And, maybe like a lot of people, my system is almost constantly being updated.  I don't have a fast internet connection and this surely slows down my other work. Further, I question: Do I really need all those updates? For example, my system runs XP Pro; for as much as I know, maybe those updates are related to Vista and I don't need them at all.

Is there a way for the newbie like myself to intelligently "vet" the  uploads, to figure out which ones I really need, and to download and install only the ones I do need?

Thank you

Dr. D.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Windows updates: Are they necessary?
    « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 04:56:33 AM »
    Windows should only be updated once a month.

Also, if you're running Windows XP, you aren't downloading any other OS Updates.

If you set your automatic updates to 'Notify me of new updates but don't download them', you can see what updates there are and choose which ones to download/install.

Drd

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 05:25:58 AM »
      Hello Mr. Dudeoxide:  You give the best answers! [Can you check out my post on DEP, too? I'm stumped].   
        I went to the update center on the computer and saw it was set for updating every day! The only other options were for once a week, but you could choose the day. Following your instructions, I chose: Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.  Question: should I accept to download everything they offer? How do I know if I need the download or not, or should I just assume they are all necessary?

Thank you

Dr. D.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 05:30:49 AM »
      The updates are not ABSOLUTELY necessary, but are highly recommended as they fix security flaws and bugs.

Drd

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 05:35:59 AM »
        Thank you Mr. CD.

In peace,

Dr. D.