Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Graphics card help  (Read 2362 times)

Matte

Topic Starter

Starter

Graphics card help
    « on: October 21, 2008, 09:04:31 AM »
    I have a dell inspiron 530 XP Proffessional 4gb of ram it only uses 3.3 cause of the 32 bit thing. I currently have intergrated graphics  Intel (R) G33/ G31 express family chipset and I constaly have low fps so its difficult play world of warcraft and other games just dont work because it doesnt have vertex shaders. I need help on a few things what bus slots I have and what I need to consider when buying a new one to find out if itll work and if this one will work on my comp.  Aida 32 seems to think I have 4 pci slots but I dont think thats right.
    http://www.rixcomputermagic.com/img/pcie-x16.jpg          they lookd like that but the green slots are black.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135098 is what Im hoping to be able to get if possible. If any1 can also tell me if I need to look at things like wattage or anythingg essential please help it would be much Apressiated.iF you need more info just ask

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Graphics card help
    « Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 09:33:46 AM »
    Aida support and updates ran out awhile ago...
    Try Everest Home or System Information for Windows...both FREE.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 09:38:35 AM »
      Just FYI: ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO 128MB, ATI Radeon HD3650 256MB, and Radeon ATI HD 2600 XT 256MB are suggested by Dell for the Inspiron 530. 

The card you have selected requires a minimum power supply of 300 watts.  You should be able to tell if you open your case and look at the ratings printed on the side of the power supply.  You'll definitely want to double check this.  In my experience most Dell computers have a power supply that is just enough to support the hardware they are shipped with.
      Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

Matte

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 10:32:36 AM »
        It sez 300watts max on the powersupply so would it be safe to use it? and is the picture of the slots I linked 2 Pci slots and 1 pcie?

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 12:21:56 PM »
          The two green slots are both PCI-E.  The larger of the two is probably x16 while the small one is probably 1x.  The two white slots are standard PCI.  The coloration of the slots may vary. 

Matte

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 01:12:52 PM »
            http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135098 so would be like safe to use this if it uses all 300w ? It sez its built for windows vista so would it only work on directx10?

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 01:32:05 PM »
              The card won't use all 300w. 

It will work with DirectX 10, but XP drivers are listed on the manufacturer's web page.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 05:58:50 PM »
              There are other components in the machine that require power...am i the only one not overlooking this ? ?         ::)

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 08:21:20 PM »
                The manufacturer lists the minimum PSU as 300 watts.  I suppose I should have looked a little more into how they come by that number.  It would be rather odd to list the minimum PSU needed to run JUST the graphics card, but then again, stranger things have happened.  (Like an hp printer causing a pc to freeze before detecting RAM . . . )  ;D

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 04:48:38 PM »
                (Like an hp printer causing a pc to freeze before detecting RAM . . . )

;D                :D                    ;D                                                  ;)