Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: orsair  (Read 3096 times)

David McMahon

Topic Starter

Rookie
    orsair
    « on: October 22, 2008, 10:40:04 AM »
    Gigabyte GA-Q35M-S2 Motherboard (Brand new today)
    3GB Memory (2x 1GB 2x 512MB) (old from OEM Board)
    Corsair VX550W PSU (Brand new today)
    Geforce 8800GS GPU Alpha Dog (Not used before today (Because previous PSU not powerful enough)
    HDD and DVD not connected
    HDD Seagate cuda 10 250GB
    DVD-RAM (HP Original)

Hello, bit stuck with the above config, It basically wont power on! The board starts (gets as far as the Num, Caps and Scroll lights) then reboots.

The system used to start but a manual reboot (Ctrl-Alt-Del) or a change settings in the BIOS then save did not work.

It feels like an incompatibility between the MB and GPU, but hope it's just a incorrect Bios setting

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: orsair
    « Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 04:20:07 PM »
    A few things you can try...
    Pull both 512's and leave them out temporarily...
    Double check the PSU power connectors including the 4 pin ATX and the GPU connector.

Reset the PSU by toggling the on/off switch on the PSU with the power cord removed.

Was thermal paste applied assembling the CPU/heatsink combo ? ?
    All MBoard standoffs in place ? ?

Last but not least remove the vid card and re-seat it making sure to use the hold down screw on the card end tab...it's the Ground.

Let us know.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

homer

Expert
      « Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 06:57:14 PM »
      it seems like patio has got you covered on this one, but i can tell you right now,

It feels like an incompatibility between the MB and GPU

its not that...

but hope it's just a incorrect Bios setting

...or that. if you cannot even boot to the BIOS, its not a BIOS setting thats causing you problems.

David McMahon

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 02:11:18 AM »
        Think the Board is blown now cos it wont work with only the CPU one stick of mem and using the onboard :( Almost RMA time, accoriding to the Gigabyte BIOS page BIOS F2 will solve the issues that the board auto-starts on inseration of power cord (or the switch on the PSU)

The Board does have that issue so maybe if i can get the board to boot then i can flash to F4?

http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2728

David McMahon

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 02:23:36 AM »
          Plot thickens....

okay so I removed the mem stick to hear if i got beeps! nothing :(

Then I removed the CPU Fan header still no "joy"

Then I removed half of the 4*2 ATX 12V Plug (appently you only need all 4 pins for an Extreme edition CPU (or maybe a 125W model????)

Anyway the machine is now running with the OLD PSU one 512MB stick and of course CPU and Onboard.....

The Bios version is F2 (Not F4) but dont want to update because IIRC that invalidates the warranty?????

David McMahon

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 02:27:33 AM »
            Time to RTFM!!

The ATX_12V_2X power connector is compatible with power supplies with 2x2 12V power
            connector. When using a power supply providing a 2x4 12V and power connector, remove the
            protective covers from the 12V power connector and the main power connector on the motherboard.
            Do not insert the power supply cables into pins under the protective covers when using a power
            supply providing a 2x2 12V power connector

DOH!!!! LSNED (Learn Something New Every Day) :)

David McMahon

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 04:18:58 AM »
              Well It's still not happy :( (It wont always boot up) despite my best efforts seems to be very sensitive about the power, i.e it wont accept a cold switch off (similar to as if the CMOS batt was flat.)

homer

Expert
                « Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 04:24:42 PM »
                SLOW DOWN DAVID! ! !

from what i have read, you are too inexperienced to do such troubleshooting by yourself without guidance. you may actually cause MORE problems by your troubleshooting methods. with that being said follow these instructions carefully and DO NOT assume you know what the problem is and how to fix it; we will walk you through it.

***BE SURE TO GROUND YOURSELF BEFORE DEALING WITH YOUR COMPUTER COMPONENTS***

1. disassemble PC (take out mobo, graphics card, harddrive, RAM, optical drives, etc.)
                2. reassemble PC on a rubber mat or a piece of cardboard using all your new hardware. (your new power supply, graphics card, motherboard; leave the old RAM out, at least for now.)
                3. power up the PC
                4. report back to us whether or not the PC booted up.
                5. if you have ANY questions, dont hesitate to ask. DONT ASSUME!!!

David McMahon

Topic Starter

Rookie
                  « Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 05:18:26 PM »
                  The computer works fine with another Power supply from PC World and the Corsair PSU only works with motherboards that dont have a "pre-flight check" startup, the Corsair booted up older motherboards that dont have this

Anyway the Corsair is RMA now and sorry it took so long to get back to you.