Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS access & unable to boot to Win98SE  (Read 3066 times)

EJ

BIOS access & unable to boot to Win98SE
« on: March 18, 2004, 08:41:29 PM »
Unable to boot into Win98SE, I received a "Drive error reading drive C" message after running "scanreg" at the C prompt.
This prompt was forced on me (at the attempted bootup) with the following message: "Warning: Windows has detected a registry/configuration error. Choose, command prompt only, and run SCANREG."
Additionally, each succesive boot attempt freezes in the middle of scandisk, while an independent "rescue disk" disk scanner also errored out!
Further, I have been hearing (on and off) clicking sounds which seem to be coming from the Maxtor 60Gig hard drive.
Please confirm for me that my hard drive needs immediate replacement or no!
BUT, even if the hard drive is bad (and needs immediate replacement), why am I not able to reach the "BIOS entry and memory check" area at the initial post?
The screen goes directly from the Gateway (mainboard) logo to its attempt to load Win98SE!
These two problems occurred immediately after an electrical outage which lasted only about 3 or 4 seconds, leaving not enough time for me to react fast enough to unplug the computer before the power came back on again (yes, I do have TWO inline surge protectors). What is there to do?

natesneat2000

Re: BIOS access & unable to boot to Win98SE
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 01:15:17 PM »
I'm not surprised; my Gateway goes right from Gateway screen to grub (Linux bootloader); to enter BIOS/setup, I believe my key is delete; just try pressing buttons before Windows comes, and you can always try burning and booting to a Knoppix Linux CD:
http://www.knoppix.org/
Good luck; long live Linux!

merlin

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 01:59:01 PM »
try this to see if your hardrive is ok>http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

gliss

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 01:11:40 PM »
I have heard that on a gateway system if you press the tab key at the gateway logo screen it will go away and let you see the bios screen.  I don't have a gateway to try this though. On my e-machines system the esc key does the trick.