Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Router Problems  (Read 3052 times)

bballok32

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Router Problems
    « on: October 24, 2008, 12:51:06 PM »
    I have Windows XP SP2, and a Linksys WRT54G Router. Now, my connection works fine when I have it hooked up to my modem, but when I try to hook my router, neither the direct connect or the wireless will work when I try to go through my router.

wyatt

Rookie

• Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Router Problems
    « Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 05:39:52 PM »
    Are you able to access you router's web interface when your computer is connected to the router?

What type of connection do you have? (cable modem, DSL)

Some modems (mostly cable modems) remember the MAC address of the computer's network card for a few hours to not allow multiple connections. This may need to age-out to allow your linksys to connect.

Does the modem have a built-in router? If the built-in router is there and active, you may be chaining two routers (double NAT). If your computer does the authentication or is handed the IP, the modem is just a modem. Knowing this information will let you know how to setup your linksys.

I added a WRT54G to my network just for wireless access and was able to assign it an IP for management and just disabled the WAN side.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 07:27:23 PM »
    Bad router?

bballok32

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 12:36:21 PM »
      I was able to connect to the web interface, but still no internet access.